Gransnet forums

News & politics

Electoral Fraud investigation

(206 Posts)
JessM Sun 08-May-16 19:44:15

Not sure that this has had much coverage but it's a potentially explosive issue in Westminster. It's alleged that, during the 2015 campaign, the Tory party failed to account properly for expenditure. There are strict spending limits per candidate and they are supposed to declare everything. The allegation is that Tory central office bussed in squads of activists to work on behalf of local candidates and that the expenditure on hotel bills etc was not shown on the constituency accounts.
Grant Shapps was in charge of the bus full of activists - joint party chairman at the time. He has recently said that accounting for the expenditure was not his responsibility - thus passing the blame on to the current party chairman.
See this article for the constituencies which might be involved.
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eight-police-forces-launch-investigations-into-tory-general-election-2015-fraud-accusations-a7017976.html

Nandalot Thu 08-Dec-16 18:51:52

Quite agree. I thought there were queries about lots of their constituencies.
I am wondering what they have spent in our constituency which has elections today. We have been bombarded with their leaflets through the post.

durhamjen Wed 07-Dec-16 23:27:07

Libdems been fined £20,000 for not declaring election expenses.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/07/lib-dems-fined-20000-for-undeclared-election-spending

Isn't it time we heard more about the Tory fraud investigation?

daphnedill Thu 17-Nov-16 19:28:47

Typo alert...amoyt = amount

daphnedill Thu 17-Nov-16 19:28:01

@dj

UKIP Twitterers have been accusing Carswell of duplicity for ages. Farage and Arron Banks hate him and have been trying to oust him. He upset Farage by not accepting a considerable amoyt of money from the EU (can't remember ecatly how much it was - about a £million?) for administrative expenses. Carswell's argument was that he didn't need it, because he was the only UKIP MP, so turned it down. Farage was furious.

Carswell is a strange character and I don't really understand why he defected to UKIP. He certainly doesn't share their narrow-minded ideals, especially over immigration. He's an ultra-libertarian, which includes having complete freedom of movement for workers. He's against the EU, because he sees it as restricting total free trade. He's generally against workers' rights and would like to see the UK turned into a bigger version of Singapore. He couldn't care less about the 'left behinders' in globalisation, who are the voters UKIP tends to attract.

MaizieD Thu 17-Nov-16 19:24:33

The UKIP misspending story:

"Nigel Farage’s party broke spending rules by diverting taxpayers’ cash to its own polling ahead of the EU referendum and in key target constituencies for last year’s general election.

EU funding is meant to be spent on a party’s activities at a European level, not on financing domestic campaigns."

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-ukip-eu-money-misspending-eu-referendum-campaign-a7422471.html

AlieOxon Thu 17-Nov-16 19:18:24

It's UKIP as well now.

petra Thu 17-Nov-16 18:36:45

Michael Crick ( channel4) is cock a hoop over this. He's the one who started it off and hasn't given up.

durhamjen Thu 17-Nov-16 18:13:56

Nice to know this hasn't been forgotten about.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-s-chief-of-staff-faces-questions-over-conservative-election-expenses-investigation-a7419516.html

durhamjen Tue 23-Aug-16 21:11:52

voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/08/23/ukip-allegation-adds-to-the-tory-election-fraud-file/

This is an interesting twist on Tory electoral fraud. Carswell doesn't like Farage, does he?

practical Thu 16-Jun-16 11:04:29

POGS to my mind postal vote fraud is by far the worst form of election fraud and it is interesting to see the areas that suffer from this most.
I think that shouldn't be allowed unless there is a good reason for it.

durhamjen Wed 15-Jun-16 23:37:58

Can't forget about this one. Labour did not commit electoral fraud. Channel4 has looked into it.

blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/labour-battlebus-operation/5258

durhamjen Sun 12-Jun-16 17:00:01

I like the retrospective bit.

JessM Sun 12-Jun-16 12:20:23

Left of centre bloggers seem to hate him!
Anyway here is an update video from a doctor on FB if you like watching a video instead of more reading.

www.facebook.com/PeterStefanovicJuniorDoctors/?fref=nf

durhamjen Sat 11-Jun-16 11:16:55

I don't think he likes anyone, Jalima. He's against politicians and journalists. His real name is Paul Staines.
He has vendettas against nearly all the establishment. He does come in useful, though, as Cameron quite often quotes him in PMQs.

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 11:06:42

I don't know who he is - from his name I assumed anti all politicians!

practical Sat 11-Jun-16 10:47:32

All this just proves governments are corrupt
what a sad state of affairs.
What's the betting all this will be shoved aside and forgotten

daphnedill Fri 10-Jun-16 21:45:50

If he's the only source, I agree.

JessM Fri 10-Jun-16 21:43:32

You'll have to do better than Guido F (well known right wing mischief maker) and the Torygraph picking on his blog, I'm afraid. We'll wait until the Electoral Commission has looked into it and found something to be concerned about.
There is a difference between the normal battle bus format that tours the country with a quick stop, a little speech by the PM or whoever, and move son (been going on for years) and a battle bus that ships in a group of people who go out canvassing with in the constituency with the candidate, stays overnight in a hotel and gets free food and drink.
I agree all this nonsensical donor-ing and getting rewarded with peerage is ridiculous.

Gracesgran Fri 10-Jun-16 21:41:30

I meant just those seats.

Oh goodsmile I have a feeling we won't see the five years out but I do hope we get to draw breath after the 23rd although anything is possible at the moment.

daphnedill Fri 10-Jun-16 21:31:22

@Gg

I meant just those seats.

The bookies have started taking bets on their being another election before 2020 anyway.

To be honest, I think campaigning has got totally out of control with donors giving millions, hit squads of activists, battle buses, TV inquisitions and all the rest of it. It's wide open to fraud.

I'm going to put on my curmudgeonly old git hat and suggest money is strictly limited to produce a leaflet for every home and rosettes for the hopefuls and a hundred of their helpers.

The leaflet should set a manifesto like a performance management review and if they don't meet the targets without a justifiable reason, they should be fined.

Jalima Fri 10-Jun-16 20:59:27

For those who like links:
order-order.com/2016/06/07/bus-ted-labour-didnt-declare-expenses-in-17-key-marginals/
order-order.com/2016/05/17/another-labour-mp-failed-to-declare-battle-bus-carrying-campaigners/
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/16/labour-facing-questions-over-election-expenses/

As not just one party was involved, would it be best to say 'Lessons Will Be Learned', move on and concentrate on more important issues?

Ana Fri 10-Jun-16 20:12:55

Google 'Labour battle bus fraud claims' and you'll come up with lots of information - it only takes a couple of seconds FGS!

Gracesgran Fri 10-Jun-16 20:00:29

Daphne could they not just re-run those seats? I don't think I could bear an election at this point.

Thanks for looking Jen.

daphnedill Fri 10-Jun-16 15:16:09

@ Jalima

Nobody can prove there would have been a different result, but it could be ruled that the election is re-run, whether or not caused by error. If intent is proved, criminal charges could be brought.

durhamjen Fri 10-Jun-16 15:11:35

I've looked on Channel4 News and cannot find anything about Labour being suspected of doing the same.
Can you give a link, please, POGS?