Gransnet forums

News & politics

Embarrassing gaffes in the palace

(80 Posts)
JessM Wed 11-May-16 17:56:03

Doesn't seem to be a thread on this.
When I'm an old woman (90 no less) I will wear Fuchsia and start saying what I think?
Meanwhile the PM accidentally reveals the way he normally speaks to her...
Quite entertaining methinks.

hulahoop Thu 12-May-16 11:00:12

I like others think this wasn't a gaff as much as something well planned to me they didn't really say anything we didn't already know and should be dropped now there are more important things going on in the world DC ought to look to his own before talking about others!!

narrowboatnan Thu 12-May-16 12:31:30

Maybe our PM is going to be swapping notes at this forthcoming conference on how to be more corrupt

Sheilasue Thu 12-May-16 14:27:01

Find Mr.Cameron annoying. He can be extremely rude when he gets pushed into a corner. Think it's nice that HM could say what she felt about the Chinese I expect there has been a lot of other people from here or other countries who annoyed her Mrs Thatcher for example.

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 15:24:30

The man who took the videos was the cameraman to the queen. He holds a royal badge which provides him with access to the queen at all her public engagements.
He has held the position for the past 19 years, and has a high degree of trust with the queen.
Instead of being a member of the royal household he is a freelance joournalist employed by the BBC, ITV and Sky.

They knew he was there and filming.

PRINTMISS Thu 12-May-16 16:03:10

Such a storm in a teacup, and I agree with Iam private conversations should be that, and people who listen in are just snoops. If it is true that the countries mentioned are corrupt, then so what, it is common knowledge, and they have come to a meeting to discuss this. If the Chinese are indeed rude, then again the truth has been spoken. Let us get on with more important things.

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 16:25:13

What those countries actually said is that the UK is also corrupt. That is important.

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 16:26:16

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/05/12/the-uk-will-fail-the-new-standards-set-at-anti-corruption-summit/

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 16:49:54

Excellent article by Simon Jenkins.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/12/crony-capitalist-corruption-david-cameron-british-tax-havens-avoidance

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 16:51:32

"It was the diplomatic equivalent of a drone attack. George Osborne had spent two years meticulously crafting good relations with the Chinese, in a desperate bid for cash for his Hinkley Point and HS2, vanity projects so imprudent that no British or European bank would touch them. Whitehall knew the Chinese would swap a bad loan for a western kowtow, and the Queen’s role had been to grovel. This week she deftly took her revenge. "

So this is why she said it.

whitewave Thu 12-May-16 17:01:52

Of course Her Maj new exactly what she was doing. Old dogs and all that. Not that she is a dog!

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 18:32:51

I was teaching my grandson about politics today, looking at the different systems in various countries.
He asked how much work the queen did, because she's 90, and 90 year olds do not normally work. I am not sure if we feel sorry for her or annoyed with her for still working.

JessM Thu 12-May-16 18:44:38

Got to admire her. Possibly the record for doing the same job? (although there might be a farmer or two...) I think she is still as sharp as a tack.

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 18:55:22

Another question he asked was does the queen like David Cameron.
Possibly not after this week, but she's not allowed to say so.
I liked the idea of her being the diplomatic equivalent of a drone attack on Osborne's careful planning.

Iam64 Thu 12-May-16 19:11:56

I agree JessM about admiring the Queen. I was 35 years in public service, happily but the idea of continuing into my 90's doesn't appeal . In my younger days I was anti monarchy but increasingly I feel it's ok and possibly as good as we'd get, plus as is said so often, the pomp n circumstance does attract tourists who bring money to the country.

Has anyone seen the National Theatre production (we saw it live at the cinema) of the Audience, Helen Mirren being the Queen from early 20's to today - it's brilliant theatre. One of the joys for me was the way the Queen's attitude to each pm was portrayed. I must be getting old and soft but I do rather like the way the discussions between the PM and the Queen are (a bit) private

Jalima Thu 12-May-16 19:49:04

President Buhari of Nigeria said that he agreed with David Cameron that his country is very corrupt and that he would not be asking for an apology.

I don't think HM would say anything she would not want broadcast.

I am not sure if we feel sorry for her or annoyed with her for still working confused well, it's not just any old job that you can retire from is it.

I admire her dedication.

Jalima Thu 12-May-16 19:49:53

Another question he asked was does the queen like David Cameron.
She would probably dislike the alternative even more

whitewave Thu 12-May-16 20:07:06

I wouldn't be too sure about that jalima Her Maj has got on well with various PMs of both colours.

Nigeria has said that they will forego an apology as they are wise enough to know and recognise the arrogance of Cameron. Instead they have asked for the money stashed in the UK that has been stolen from their country.

Jalima Thu 12-May-16 20:13:02

I know, whitewave and I think Harold Wilson was her favourite.
I am sure she would have her reasons if she did not like the alternative, but would keep them to herself as always. smile

Jalima Thu 12-May-16 20:15:05

Nigeria has said that they will forego an apology as they are wise enough to know and recognise the arrogance of Cameron. I think they will not demand an apology because he spoke the truth and the President is well aware of that and needs help to combat it.

whitewave Thu 12-May-16 20:23:17

The point being, as Wellby and Her Maj pointed out the president is trying hard to reverse the situation. Cameron should be big enough to recognise that fact and encourage rather than disparage.

GandTea Thu 12-May-16 20:40:18

I may be old fashioned but please may we give her her proper title, either Her Majesty or The Queen. After all her years of duty to our country, she deserves that.

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 20:48:07

"An Afghan official, tasked with tackling government corruption, is the first to make a jibe at Cameron for his gaffe when speaking to the Queen.

We inherited, and I quote, a ‘fantastically corrupt’ system.

He says that in his country for the past decade “there has been enthusiastic international community partnerships willing to pour in billions into a country without thinking about the safeguards that were needed in order to ensure that money would be spent transparently and effectively.”

He says the country is now saving $200m dollars a year from anti-corruption efforts which “otherwise would have gone into the pockets of mafia and corrupt companies”.

Without political will, there is no way we can fight corruption. No impunity for officials or companies, is a must.

He says Afghanistan is blacklisting on average one company a week, with the list published online and updated every week, and he invites the UK to publish a blacklist of corrupt companies as well."

Very good at getting their own back. I hope Cameron feels suitably embarrassed.

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 20:51:15

Both Oxfam and Actionaid say that tax dodgers can sleep easy tonight.
I hope the queen tells Cameron that he hasn't done enough. It was a bit of a damp squib.

Eloethan Thu 12-May-16 22:30:42

GandTea I think, as no insulting or obscene language has been used, it is rather presumptuous of you to tell people how they should refer to the queen. You are entitled to be "old-fashioned" and deferential but we are not living in North Korea and some people, though respecting the queen as an elderly lady who no doubt has done her best to fulfil what she and others see as her duty, do not support the monarchical system.

JessM Fri 13-May-16 09:18:07

I dunno Jalima I can imagine QE2 having a good chat about politics in the 60s and 70s with Jeremy C and also imagine her thinking the PM is an annoying young pup. I think JC would treat her with the same politeness as any other colleague - and she might appreciate that. 70 years of people grovelling or gibbering with nerves must get awfully wearing. I think the clue to her personality is probably in that of her rather down to earth and very horse-focussed daughter - the person E would have been if she had not got lumbered with a job she never applied for.