Gransnet forums

News & politics

England fans

(65 Posts)
marionh Sat 11-Jun-16 08:59:24

Sky news headline is that England fans have been causing trouble again. Here is the report in case you've not seen it news.sky.com/story/1710114/tear-gas-fired-as-england-fans-clash-with-police

Why???? I'm a big football fan myself but when all is said and done it's a GAME. Aside from anything else it saddens me that our reputation will continue to be as mindless thugs when it's only the minority who behave like this

daphnedill Tue 14-Jun-16 17:16:38

@Violette

A number of Russian fans have been deported.

whitewave Tue 14-Jun-16 16:45:01

You appear a tad sensitive pogs argument is never something in which I partake. Strong debate undoubtedly.

POGS Tue 14-Jun-16 16:24:00

Whitewave to POGS 13.11

"So what part of their behaviour do we ignore POGS?

Your question was set in a tone and manner looking for an argument to pursue and I will therefore give my response in the form of a feferal to my post of Monday 10.46, I do not ignore any part of their behaviour.

VIOLETTE Tue 14-Jun-16 14:52:30

I have also lived in France for the past 15 years, and prior to that in the Balearic islands .....only one two occasions have I come across any anti British feeling ...but I do agree that the gratuitous violence in the name of a 'game' needs drastic measures ..the French police have water cannon ...so why didn't they use them ? It would indeed seem to be easier for them to blame the England fans as they are an easier target than the Russian ones ! .....who they cannot seem to identify or catch ! There were articles in the local French papers showing photos of 'fans' wearing England shirts ...but they could have been Russians ?! ....who knew ? the reports did say that it was 'believed' some may be Russians ......but English were imprisoned !

I used to go (somewhat unwillingly !) to football matches every Saturday afternoon with my dad in the 50's .....there was no hint of violence ....unless you include my dad telling me not to shout for Ipswich, but whicever team they were playing against (he was a Liverpool fan !) .....so why has so much violence erupted nowadays ? All I know is I am keeping well away from any venue where any sport is being played .....can't even escape it on tv ...time to buy a box set or two !

varian Tue 14-Jun-16 14:34:23

I am glad they did, but a one time not long before the vote the opinion polls gave them the sort of lead that the Leave campaign seem to have now. Let's hope that the pollsters are also wrong now.

sunseeker Tue 14-Jun-16 14:31:28

Except in the Scottish referendum the separatists lost.

varian Tue 14-Jun-16 14:27:04

You are right, sunseeker, when you say Cameron is responsible for the timing - and indeed for the whole unnecessary charade. The same thing happened two years ago when he allowed the Scottish referendum to happen at a time which actually favoured the separatists (Commonwealth Games, Bannockburn anniversary etc) and he didn't learn the lesson.

I don't know whether there is any conspiracy but I do know that this football fiasco is a gift to the Brexiteers (including Mr Putin)

sunseeker Tue 14-Jun-16 14:18:56

varian The timing of the referendum was down to David Cameron so if this is a conspiracy by the Leave campaign how did they manage that?

willsmadnan Tue 14-Jun-16 13:32:16

Eer... no practical. The Russian Football Association is threatened with expulsion if they repeat the scenes of the violence in the stadiums. This would not seem to cover what fans get up to pre, and post match in the bars and cafes.
The French police were lax in allowing Russian fans into the Marseilles match with flares etc , but before the British media hangs them out to dry, in mitigation they have got a hell of a lot on their plate. The terrorism threat has been sky high here after the Paris attacks and they are no better or worse than their UK colleagues. They are all far from perfect, a worrying thought.

Riverwalk Tue 14-Jun-16 13:16:16

You don't say!

Is this Gransnet or Reuters? hmm

practical Tue 14-Jun-16 13:13:19

BREAKING: Russia handed suspended disqualification over Euro 2016 violence against England

RUSSIA has been handed a suspended disqualification over fan violence at Euro 2016 matches which will be implemented if any further disturbances happen.

whitewave Tue 14-Jun-16 13:11:23

Yes the English yobs introduced their xenophobic chant. So what part of their behaviour do we ignore pogs?

varian Tue 14-Jun-16 12:58:29

I'm glad to hear UEFA has done something, but I wonder why the French police didn't manage to arrest a single Russian.

Do you seriously believe that this nasty incident is only about football? It is about whipping up xenophobia and providing ammunition for the worst elements of the British press -of course it helps the Brexit brigade.

POGS Tue 14-Jun-16 12:13:15

UEFA has given the Russian Team a Suspended Disqualification for Euro 2016 and fined them 150.000 euros after violent disorder of it's fans.

I find it rather sad Brexit has reared it's head again outside of the politics thread. sad

Welshwife Tue 14-Jun-16 10:34:07

All the hosting towns have set up Fanzones where the matches are screened. They also have food and drink outlets. The beer sold in Bordeaux was non alcoholic but not widely shown as that so many fans were behaving as if it was normal stuff - I wonder how many woke up the next day wondering how they did not have the normal hangover!!

annodomini Tue 14-Jun-16 10:27:50

Enlglish and Welsh fans who can't get in to the small ground at Lens where their teams are playing have been told that they can get entry to the match at Lille where the Russians are playing. Now there's a recipe for disaster.

Welshwife Tue 14-Jun-16 10:11:10

From what I have gleaned it seems that the Russians were very well organised and managed to magic them selves away. I saw a report this morning that the Russian manager has said 'well done - keep it up ' to these thugs! Some Russians were wearing English tops it seems.
I hope it all quietens down before the next game.

whitewave Tue 14-Jun-16 10:02:28

Wonderful to think ourfuture may depend on yobs with only a couple of brain cells between them.

The leave propaganda has done its job well.

Nandalot Tue 14-Jun-16 10:02:25

And no Russian ones, ( typo)

Nandalot Tue 14-Jun-16 10:01:06

Agree with your last comment Varian.

Hooliganism of any kind is a disgrace but it seems to be agreed that the Russian hooligans were very aggressive and even armed with flares etc. so. why is t that only 6 English supporters have been jailed and nonRussian ones.

Also yes, very worrying re. the security. It shows what a soft target events like these are.

varian Tue 14-Jun-16 09:37:38

The division of UK football into four national teams also drives a wedge between their supporters.

Scottish, Welsh and NI fans are distancing themselves from the hooligan minority amongst the England fans who were shouting "EU - OUT OUT OUT".

This reflects the different attitudes to the EU as only the English are likely to support Brexit and bodes badly for the future survival of the UK as we know it.

Marmark1 Tue 14-Jun-16 08:46:59

Millymouge,I commented on that,they haven't gone that far yet,YET,Varian,that's very possible.
But what an awful shame for the genuine supporters.I know someone who saved all year to go.

varian Tue 14-Jun-16 08:17:20

Russian football official Ivan Lebedev has congratulated the hoologans involved in the fights in Marseille saying "well done lads, keep it up"

And in other news Brexit ahead in the polls. Putin's looking very pleased.

varian Mon 13-Jun-16 14:31:21

Another reason why this referendum should not happen at this time - everyone knows that football hooliganism generates the worst type of nationalism.

You didn't need a crystal ball to see how much that would help the Leave campaign.

TerriBull Mon 13-Jun-16 11:47:03

It's always an embarrassment and shaming when fellow countrymen or women for that matter behave badly abroad and drunken yobbish English fans, if caught, I hope will be banned from travelling abroad in future. It does seem that the Russian Ultras, a scary looking bunch of thugs, seem hell bent on some sort of strange proxy war with the English fans and I feel very sorry for those who have just gone to spectate, especially when they have young children with them. These ghastly looking far right nationalists that are more prevalent in parts of Eastern Europe and certainly Russia are unfortunately no longer contained in their own countries. I'm not sure if Putin is complicit in perhaps not coming down on them in the way he should. The toxic mix of thuggery and the constant threat of another bunch of Jihads unleashing hell makes me wonder if any of it's worth it. It is after all only sport and not a training ground for World War III