Gransnet forums

News & politics

England fans

(64 Posts)
marionh Sat 11-Jun-16 08:59:24

Sky news headline is that England fans have been causing trouble again. Here is the report in case you've not seen it news.sky.com/story/1710114/tear-gas-fired-as-england-fans-clash-with-police

Why???? I'm a big football fan myself but when all is said and done it's a GAME. Aside from anything else it saddens me that our reputation will continue to be as mindless thugs when it's only the minority who behave like this

Charleygirl Sat 11-Jun-16 09:01:26

I agree, the mindless few let our country down each and every time.

Alea Sat 11-Jun-16 09:03:36

"Causing trouble" is one way of putting it.
What is it with these so-called fans? I say "so-called" because I do not see any connection with football in their appalling loutish behaviour.

"LEAVE"? France and the other EU countries will be only too happy to show the UK the door. Who'd want us? angry

sweetcakes Sat 11-Jun-16 09:56:20

From what I saw on the news it was started by 70 local lads winding the English supporters up those were the words she spoke, they deliberately set out to cause trouble. There is always to sides to every story! Anyway the French can't stand us they didn't want us in the common market anyway

rosesarered Sat 11-Jun-16 10:00:58

I don't think the Russian fans helped matters either.I wonder if some fans go abroad just for the pre match rumble?

merlotgran Sat 11-Jun-16 10:02:40

Yobs are yobs wherever they come from. There is no excuse for moronic behaviour that threatens the enjoyment of sporting occasions.

GandTea Sat 11-Jun-16 10:17:59

These are not football fans, they are yobs just looking to cause trouble. They are an embarrassment to England.
I am concerned as our Son & family are driving to Disneyland Paris tomorrow morning, I hope they don't get any backlash from the troubles.

tramtram Sat 11-Jun-16 16:40:37

Too depressing

NotTooOld Sat 11-Jun-16 17:19:50

roses - I'm sure some do just that.

Deedaa Sat 11-Jun-16 21:46:30

I thought it was a shame they kept the police dogs muzzled, but that may just be me hmm

We did see perfectly peaceful fans enjoying themselves on the beach GrandTea so hopefully the French will realise it is only a minority.

daphnedill Sat 11-Jun-16 21:50:40

Of course it's a minority and I'm sure the majority of French realise that.

GandTea Sat 11-Jun-16 21:58:37

Deedaa, agree, let the dogs have their day.

daphnedill Sat 11-Jun-16 22:05:49

@sweetcakes

Have you ever had a conversation with 'normal' French people?

I think you'd find that there is a range of views, but most French people are...strangely enough (or not)...just like the British in their opinions.

Floradora9 Sat 11-Jun-16 22:44:29

Why are the English fans so often in trouble ? Scottish fans get drunk and make fools of themselves but seldom cause this type of trouble. I have witnessed the Welsh rugby fans and French rugby fans ( after they were defeated by Scotland ) in Edinburgh and they are still good natured. Someone has to root out the troublemakers once and for all .

Elrel Sat 11-Jun-16 22:56:55

Some horrible violence in Marseille on to news. 4 or 5 on to one man all kicking him as he was on the ground. Disgusting whoever it was.

merlotgran Sat 11-Jun-16 22:58:54

www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

I'm beginning to feel that English supporters are up the creek without a paddle.

practical Sat 11-Jun-16 23:24:24

sweetcakes give a dog a bad name and others will turn on them even if they are innocent
www.express.co.uk/news/world/679047/Euro-2016-Marseille-England-Russia-violence-Roy-Hodgson
DOZENS of crazed Russian football hooligans in balaclavas attacked England fans inside Marseille's Stade Velodrome after tonight's Euro 2016 clash.

PRINTMISS Sun 12-Jun-16 08:45:39

Well, it was to be expected, I don't know why, but football seems to attract the people who enjoy a brawl. Boys/men always have that sort of push and jostle fun, which when it is in a crowd of competitors becomes more of a fight because tempers get frayed. The players on the field are often no great example, and get bad-tempered at the drop of a hat. Too much money involved.

sunseeker Sun 12-Jun-16 08:48:44

Thugs are thugs - no matter what nationality. There will be a minority who attend events with the intention of starting trouble. Last night it was the Russian "fans". I would like to see those involved immediately sent back to their respective countries where hopefully their own court system would deal with them.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jun-16 08:54:55

Those Russian supporters must have gone into the stadium with trouble in mind whatever the result.

To equalize in the final seconds of the game should have caused jubilation not violence.

There seemed to be little or no security which is surprising because I thought terrorism was high on the list of concerns.

It will be interesting to see if the Russian thugs behave as violently towards the supporters of the next country they will be playing hmm

willsmadnan Sun 12-Jun-16 13:44:57

I have held off from replying to your response sweetcakes as I might come across as a rabid francophile but having lived in France for many years I can assure you that your last sentence is completely outdated. It was De Gaulle who didn't want the UK in the EC (as it was known then). Times have changed. The EC has become the EU, a totally different animal. Now it seems the majority of my French neighbours would be pleased to see us (yes, I still consider myself an 'us') leave the EU. I must say I was a bit taken aback when I first hear that expressed, but their reasoning is that if the UK leaves it will signal the gradual break-up of the EU. That is what they detest.... not the Brits.
To many, the EU is an out-of-control institution that seeks to impose Brussels -based laws that erode French law, a cardinal sin in the Republic. I have a certain sympathy with them. They are a wayward nation, but ...hey-ho.
The scenes in Marseilles are sickening. There are nationalistic thugs looking for a dust-up under the disguise of being a football fan in all European countries , and the French police do go in in a more pro-active way than UK citizens are used to, but please do not blame this on anglophobia on the part of the French. I find your posting a bit offensive.

rosesarered Sun 12-Jun-16 13:49:30

Merlotgran I agree with you there.

practical Sun 12-Jun-16 14:05:34

some of the countries will be pleased when we leave the eu because it will free them from the shackles of the eu

Welshwife Sun 12-Jun-16 14:05:38

The interesting question is how did the Russian fans manage to get the fireworks or whatever they were into the Stade.

rosesarered Sun 12-Jun-16 14:08:12

That's what everyone is asking Welshwife it's amazing what weapons they had as well.