Gransnet forums

News & politics

Go, Boris!

(120 Posts)
thatbags Sun 12-Jun-16 08:05:29

Until the EU referendum reared its head I never gave Boris Johnson a second thought; he was outwith my political focus. I think now that he's a good guy. Just as Jeremy Corbyn is a good guy.

Some of you will trash this opinion of mine and reduce any following discussion to playground sniping, but if anyone's interested, here's a really good, long, interesting article about Boris by Tim Shipman from today's Sunday Times. It's called the Magazine Interview for anyone who gets the hard copy.

It would be nice if this thread didn't turn into another EU ref for and against thread. What I'm really interested in is people's views of prominent politicians as people rather than as politicians. Are people you've often disagreed with politically still good people? Can they be seen as having good motives even when you disagree with their politics?

Alea Sun 12-Jun-16 12:38:10

In the introduction to his biography of Churchill, Boris Johnson says this
Character is destiny, said the Greeks, and I agree. If that is so, then the deeper and most fascinating question is what makes up the character
He was talking about Churchill, of course, but the same applies equally to Johnson himself.
I heard him speak 2 years ago at Althorp Literary Festival and he was of course highly entertaining. What was also apparent was that he is exceedingly bright, totally focused, and the "affable buffoon" exterior hides an incisive mind and a core of steel lacking IMHO in bioth Cameron and Osborne.

durhamjen Sun 12-Jun-16 12:38:14

Yes, I've read the whole of the article. I see it as Boris trying to show he can be serious, despite his past proving otherwise.
What I also noticed from the article is that the author was giving Johnson advice on how to present himself, so hardly dispassionate, then.

Badenkate Sun 12-Jun-16 12:38:36

Ambition is fine thatbags, it's what you do to achieve that ambition that matters. My feeling about Boris Johnson (and he is by no means the only one but this is who we are discussing) is that he is willing to say or do almost anything to achieve his ambition. Consequently he is not a politician I would wish to depend on.

Tegan Sun 12-Jun-16 13:01:30

The Conservative Party People [sound like a pop group don't they] that I spoke to yesterday said the trouble with both Boris and Gove is that they're just journalists not politicians [they probably worded it better than that] and had no time for either of them. Me and the local Tory Party; 'besties'#who'd'v'thoughtit [although I did manage to slip in a 'come the revolution' comment which didn't go down too well blush]..

Alea Sun 12-Jun-16 13:24:20

Well that is rubbish (no disrespect to you Tegan, not shooting the messenger!)
Like him or not, Johnson is a consummate politician to his fingertips . After all, he ran one of the major cities in the world for the last 8 years. He is every bit as much of a politician as for instance the Mayor of New York or any other major city and a heck of a lot more experienced than most! Of course many Tories don't like him, he has a better mind than the county grandees and is not afraid to speak it.
Decades ago, a significant proportion of the Tory die-hards didn't trust or like Winston Churchill. How wrong they were.

POGS Sun 12-Jun-16 13:25:41

I rest my case that bags.

I have mentioned this comment before and I can't remember which two well known women it was between so I will make up a similar rhetoric between friends , let's say Hilary Clinton and Theresa May for the purpose of political opposites.

Theresa " I wish all Democrats were like you Hilary"

Hilary "That's because I'm the only Democrat you take the trouble to speak to Theresa".?

Hilary

suzied Sun 12-Jun-16 13:29:56

He wasn't that good as Mayor of London, lots of his ideas have been vanity projects and he has completely messed up the roads in some area. He is skilful at avoiding answering questions with a straight answer, he often just bluffs / jokes his was out of awkward situations. I agree he has a a good sense of humour, but then so have lots of people, doesn't make them good politicians.

thatbags Sun 12-Jun-16 13:30:45

pogs, smile

thatbags Sun 12-Jun-16 13:32:29

He was 'good enough' to be elected as mayor for a second time. He must have something that appeals to voters and I don't have such a low opinion of most voters that I think it's only his buffoonery that appealed.

thatbags Sun 12-Jun-16 13:33:43

I'm sure no other politician gets advice in how to present themself, dj [sarc emoji]

POGS Sun 12-Jun-16 13:37:02

thatbags

I just find it predictable that the predominant question in your OP isn't being answered .

It's pure bloody irony bags. grin.

thatbags Sun 12-Jun-16 13:40:40

Yup!

rosesarered Sun 12-Jun-16 13:47:12

on the Andrew Marr Show last week John Major said that Boris was very likeable indeed.Some people just are, regardless of the fact that you agree/disagree with anything they say.

joannapiano Sun 12-Jun-16 15:10:05

The rabbit we are adopting from the RSPCA, is called Boris. He is large and also likeable!
DH has made him a large run for the garden, and hung "No.10" on it, as we're sure that's where he'll like to be.

Alea Sun 12-Jun-16 15:13:27

Don't let him near any lady bunnies- not with his reputation!!!! grin

whitewave Sun 12-Jun-16 15:27:42

Political leaders cannot and should not be separated from our opinion as to whether they are good people or not.

Everything they do both at a personal level and political level has consequences.

They can of course be a brilliant parent, or friend but if their political policies give misery or death to many, either domestically or internationally I cannot separate the two. Ideally of course a political leader is good at all levels.

durhamjen Sun 12-Jun-16 15:43:54

Which is the predominant question, POGS?
Bags premise is that politicians can be good people even if you do not agree with their politics. I disagree with that. I do not believe that Boris can be a good person. He was a pretty poor mayor of London, buffoonery even in the council meetings. He hid reports on air quality and how it affected schools in poor districts, and gave big contracts to his friends. That is not being good. That is illegal, and should go to court.

rosesarered Sun 12-Jun-16 15:48:25

he didn't hide the reports very well, if you know about it Djen

durhamjen Sun 12-Jun-16 15:49:39

"An investigation by UK magazine The Architect's Journal found that Heatherwick was present for at least five meetings with London's mayor Boris Johnson or deputy mayors prior to the contest. The AJ also claimed that a manager for government body Transport for London (TfL) had reported irregularities in the design competition.

"It's now abundantly clear that the design competition that Transport for London held in early 2013 was nothing of the sort," AJ deputy editor Will Hurst told Dezeen.

"Every scrap of evidence that has emerged suggests that mayor Boris Johnson – who is also the chair of TfL – had already decided on designer Thomas Heatherwick because of prior lobbying by Garden Bridge champion Joanna Lumley," he added. "It is an alarming thought that a major design contest, especially one funded by the public purse, could be so manipulated and distorted by political pressure." "

People in the North East went to prison for similar favouritism in the 1970s or 80s. This does not make Boris a good person. It also does not make him suitable to take over from Cameron as PM.

Anya Sun 12-Jun-16 16:12:08

Look out Boris. As the polls are swinging towards an OUT vote the papers are speculating that the REMAIN's agenda is to 'Target Boris' - apparently that's why Eagle and Rudd were so willing to attack...they were under orders from Cameron. Shame on Angela Eagle, taking orders from a Tory. And shame on others who wouild sing from Cameron's song sheet just because he told them to ...hmm

So pass any such dirt throwing information through a dirt and gullability filter folks.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jun-16 16:12:17

Anniebach I do not see him as a decent man, a man who can cheat on two wives isn't a good guy

You didn't say the same about Mohammed Ali, in fact you said he was your hero hmm

Anya Sun 12-Jun-16 16:28:39

Sorry for that reference to the referendum bags - I didn't read your OP carefully enough.

I've just read your link and yes, some politicians can be good people and likeable, even if you disagree with their viewpoint. It's the same as genuinely good people I know, who take a completely different stance from myself politically, and as still my friends. While there are those who are of the same political persuasion whom I cannot like one bit.

Does me not liking them, mean they are not 'good people'? No, because I dislike someone does not necessarily mean they are not good people. Complicated.

When it comes to issues like race though, as an example, and racist views, I have been know to cut friendships because these are abhorrent. Can a racist be a 'good person' - IMO not really.

NotTooOld Sun 12-Jun-16 18:05:45

I like people who make me laugh and Boris does just that. If I was in the habit of giving dinner parties, which I am not if I can help it, Boris would be first on my guest list. Being Prime Minister is obviously serious business but a sense of humour is a definite advantage I would have thought and that applies to most walks of life, so if Boris makes it to No 10 we would at least get some entertaining PMQs. As for being 'a good person' we shall never really know. I expect many people thought Harold Shipman was 'a good person' but they would have been wrong.

daphnedill Sun 12-Jun-16 18:10:25

I can just see it...

'Let's press that little button there to see what happens! Oh piffle! It was only a naughty prank, folks!'

Johnson would make a truly appalling PM.

I don't really care whether he's a good person or not. His core values are suspect and I believe he's not very efficient or competent.

Alea Sun 12-Jun-16 18:12:59

Don't be silly daphnedill Boris is nobody's fool, unlike certain other politicians Cameron included.