News & politics

Not many countries in the EU are high up on the wealthy list

(33 Posts)
obieone Sun 12-Jun-16 15:01:56

www.worldsrichestcountries.com/

Only 1 in the top 10
5 out of the top 20
and 7 out of the top 25

That seems pretty poor to me. There is life outside of the EU!
Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU

Great Britain is 27th according to the list.

obieone Mon 13-Jun-16 15:48:25

You used it to suit your purpose. I used it because it is the most sensible choice etc.

I meant EU all the time, as I have already mentioned on another thread

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 14:10:22

Obviously you are using the second list. It only seems most sensible to you because it supports your theme.
I used that one to show you were being wrong in your European count. That's all.
On here you use EU, not Europe.

I agree that being a big country is no guarantee of anything.
San Marino is ninth in your list. It's an interesting country, as it is not in the EU, but uses the Euro. It has the same relationship with the EU as Turkey, a customs union.

obieone Mon 13-Jun-16 12:41:54

And most links use the second list as well.

obieone Mon 13-Jun-16 12:40:45

I am using the second list. Seemed most sensible. Plus it was the list you used as well on a different thread.

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 11:27:28

It depends which list you are using even on your link, obieone.
If you use GDP, GDP per person or PPP, purchasing power.
If you use just straight GDP or PPP, Germany France and the UK are all in the top ten.

This is just such an easy way to show how different people use statistics differently to prove what they want to prove.

obieone Mon 13-Jun-16 06:59:44

I am going to say something again to make it clear.

The countries in the EU are are not very high up on the list of countries of the greatest wealth.

obieone Mon 13-Jun-16 06:49:30

dd, being a bigger country is not a guarantee of anything.

daphnedill Mon 13-Jun-16 00:58:58

@practical

It's no surprise that you're voting 'out', but why come up with untrue assertions about the UK being the most densely populated in Europe? It isn't. Moreover, as dj mentioned, some parts of Europe are uninhabitable.

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 00:50:43

Daft saying that. Spain's density is only a third of ours, but where would you suggest they all go? Into the mountains?

practical Mon 13-Jun-16 00:36:06

I have seen lists that say Italy Spain France would need to take 1000's more to have as many per square mile as we have
No I don't look at a balance because I wouldn't believe it after some things I've read besides I am voting out anyway so it would be wasting my time

durhamjen Sun 12-Jun-16 22:50:23

So you do not even bother looking at any information to balance that view, then, practical? Such a shame.

daphnedill Sun 12-Jun-16 22:47:59

@ practical

No, the UK isn't the most densely populated EU country.

daphnedill Sun 12-Jun-16 22:46:16

I can't be bothered, but it IS good practice when you copy and paste verbatim to give a source. Otherwise, you might as well just give a link and people can decide for themselves the reliability of the source.

practical Sun 12-Jun-16 22:42:56

dd I couldn't answer on the other thread because there is a 1000 posts.
your posts
Would you care to give your conspiracy theory source for that?

PS. I suppose the Daily Mail (September 2015) is an improvement on the Express
No I wouldn't like to give my source you are so clever at telling me where to look so you find it.
As for the papers I read and have had you knocking it all along and I have never insulted the papers you read which I think are rubbish so enough. I read the papers that support OUT.

practical Sun 12-Jun-16 22:38:04

I think it's time the outers looked at population and land mass. We are the most overcrowded in the eu

daphnedill Sun 12-Jun-16 22:26:35

Yes, because they have a bigger population, are sitting on an oil lake or are the home to dodgy banking outfits.

So what? The EU is made up of mainly small countries, who've realised that they are better together. Collectively, they are the biggest trading bloc in the world. Who knows how they would have done, if they'd all gone their separate ways?

obieone Sun 12-Jun-16 22:07:27

So it may be daphnedill, but a lot of other countries out are doing better

obieone Sun 12-Jun-16 22:05:24

wealthy countries in the EU

daphnedill Sun 12-Jun-16 22:04:34

But it IS the biggest trading bloc in the world!

obieone Sun 12-Jun-16 22:03:04

jingl, I know that.
I startet this thread beacuse there are many misleading posts being bandied about about how the EU is a great economic place, and how it is hugely scary to leave.

I am pointing out that the number of wealthy countries, and their place in wealth tables, is not as good as some left wing posters would have us all believe.

daphnedill Sun 12-Jun-16 21:37:38

@obieone

You stick with GDP as a reliable measure if you want, but serious economists don't.

It doesn't even prove anything as far as EU countries are concerned. The whole point was that small(ish) countries should come together to face off the might of the US (and now China, Japan and India). Using your own measure, the EU is, by GDP, the wealthiest trading bloc in the world.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 12-Jun-16 21:31:02

The richest countries aren't necessarily be the best ones to live in.

Cherrytree59 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:28:35

Obieone I agree there are plenty of opportunities outside the Euro zone for trade, migration and immigration.
Tunnel vision is not a good thing
I have asked before if geographically we were closer to the USA would the 'stay in voters ' want to be one of the states of America??
I know I would not want to be, even though we share a 'similar language'.
Our way of life and laws are different.

obieone Sun 12-Jun-16 21:09:13

Considering just about every link does it by GDP I will stick with that thanks.

And I said almost debate that black is white.

This thread is some thread already.

It is sad. There is another thread about the referendum where double speak is happening also.
No need for it, and it shouldn't happen.

I remember being at school and asked "does the end justify the means"?
The answer is a resounding no.

For your own sakes, don't do it.

daphnedill Sun 12-Jun-16 20:54:33

Firstly, it depends which 'wealth' you want to measure. Neither gross GDP nor GDP per capita is a satisfactory measure of a country's spending power, without taking other factors, such as equality and cost of living, into account.

Nobody's arguing that black is white, but anybody with an ounce of economic knowledge knows that GDP is a poor measure of prosperity and production.

Further reading:

www.economist.com/news/briefing/21697845-gross-domestic-product-gdp-increasingly-poor-measure-prosperity-it-not-even