Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour MP Jo Cox shot in Birstall

(658 Posts)
POGS Thu 16-Jun-16 14:12:42

I am sorry to be watching this ' unravelling' news report .

I hope she will be OK. Her poor family.

It is being reported that 2 people have been shot and 2 stabbings but no police confirmation as yet. The area is on lock down at the moment and there is a Primary School in the vicinity .

I hope the gunman is caught soon.

merlotgran Wed 22-Jun-16 10:37:56

I do kind of know that, Anniebach hmm

Anniebach Wed 22-Jun-16 10:37:33

obieone, I said Tory right not UKIP, I do know UKIP do not have the number of MP's to form a government , didn't you?

obieone Wed 22-Jun-16 10:36:59

We dont have a Johnson cabinet. Personally I think most people agree that Boris has not done a good job. I think his chances of forming a cabinet are slim at best.

Anniebach Wed 22-Jun-16 10:35:23

Farage is leader of UKIP Merlotgran. He is not a member of the Tory party is he

whitewave Wed 22-Jun-16 10:30:13

He's been promised a peerage and will then serve in a Johnson cabinet

merlotgran Wed 22-Jun-16 10:24:08

Why will we have the Tory right running the country? Farage isn't even an MP.

obieone Wed 22-Jun-16 10:16:08

I am not sure that that is right Anniebach. There will still be the same characters in Government in the same Government positions. Personally I am not sure that that is going to change even if the vote is OUT.

Farage is UKIP. He is not Conservative.

Tegan. That chimes in with what I was saying on another thread. The poor in the Labour Party feeling let down and left out by the wealthy people in it.
Though are death threats anything new on the internet? Especially to MPs? I dont know. Someone else might know on here?

Lazigirl Wed 22-Jun-16 09:36:23

I thought Ruth Davidson was the star at the debate last night for Remain. She delivered her message very passionately and clearly.

Anniebach Wed 22-Jun-16 09:31:40

Farage is a Cancer , .

If we vote out we will have the Tory right running the country

whitewave Wed 22-Jun-16 09:26:58

If the vote is out, we so must not allow the likes of Farage anywhere the government.

Lazigirl Wed 22-Jun-16 09:24:23

Not just against her but her children and grandchildren! How sick. She hasn't got GC has she? She has reported to police.

Tegan Wed 22-Jun-16 08:54:35

Yvette Cooper has received a death threat now via twitter...sad what is this country coming to...?

Anniebach Wed 22-Jun-16 08:39:34

The Farage poster was disgusting, Farage is disgusting.

Tegan Wed 22-Jun-16 08:23:06

And the birthday of the man who tried to save her.

whitewave Wed 22-Jun-16 08:21:23

Mrs Coxs birthday today. Love not hate.

suzied Wed 22-Jun-16 07:48:36

There was an interview on BBC radio with people in a camp in Dunkirk who were trying to gain illegal entry to the Uk, stowing away on lorries etc. Not a single one was fleeing a war zone, they didn't want to stay in France as they couldn't speak French. Their English wasn't that good either. This situation wouldn't stop if we are out of the EU, ( would probable get worse), so I don't know why the brexiteers think it would. That Farage poster was disgusting.

JessM Wed 22-Jun-16 07:15:04

Re post about MPs Granny2016 - no Labour MPs and supporters have not been told to toe the party line smile
In our constituency party, back in February, we had a preliminary discussion about the referendum and out of about 30 members, only one expressed any doubts that we should remain Labour party members are quite well informed and are aware of the advantages of the EU - working collaboratively with similarly minded politicians from other EU countries to prevent big businesses from exploiting workers, from polluting the environment and to ensure that our food production is protected and consumers are protected in the food, and many other sectors. A few people on the far left are anti-EU but they are far too left-wing to be members of the Labour Party. So there would be no need for anyone to pressure the MPs as they inevitably reflect the views of the membership, because the membership initially selects them to represent the views of the local party members.

daphnedill Wed 22-Jun-16 02:04:12

Hmmm! I was rather hoping that other countries might keep the UK's offenders!

Leaving the EU won't stop asylum seekers or people smuggling directly to the UK. It will mean France won't stop them in Calais. The UK will also have to invest in some boats and staff to protect our coasts.

Granny2016 Wed 22-Jun-16 01:43:11

Yes,these people are mostly from countries outside of Europe.
Many are asylum seekers,others economic migrants.
Asylum seekers should be afforded shelter on arrival into the first safe country.
Economic migrants from outside the EU crossing the Schengen areas, are supposed to have visas.
Many people have now accepted accommodation in Calais with washing,cooking,heating facilities.
Many others have refused as they would need to be processed to remain in France,and have 'chosen' to come here.
Though I don,t agree,it is no surprise that Farage has made immigration his battle cry.
I am pretty sure the barriers will come down if we leave,but look on the positive.
We will be able to send our European offenders back home at last.

Can it be so surprising that some will vote out on the strength of such scenes and Farage has used immigration as his battle cry ?
Don,t be so naive as to suppose that all of these people are desirable ,families have moved into the new accommodation to get away from thugs.
Yes,I expect the French will take the fences down if we leave...best get your spare rooms ready ladies.

durhamjen Wed 22-Jun-16 00:08:00

They were the people Jo Cox was trying to help, too.

Anniebach Tue 21-Jun-16 23:36:05

The poor people in the Calais camps are not from Europe , if we do vote out France may remove their patrols of the channel, take down the wire and then what happens?

Gracesgran Tue 21-Jun-16 23:29:12

I thought the interview Jo Cox's husband gave was so very brave.

Elegran Tue 21-Jun-16 23:21:39

If the border were at Dover, that would be a daily occurence.

These, incidentally, are not EU persons with free movement to the UK, they are from non-EU countries. Their attempts to get to Britain have no connection with whether we are members of the EU or not.

Granny2016 Tue 21-Jun-16 23:15:36

Just a matter of interest re immigration,reported by some media,but not the BBC.

The channel ports were closed in France due to immigrants from the camps attempting to stow on UK bound lorries before the referendum on Thursday.
plenty of photos on the Daily Mail site.
Fans returning from the football had cars damaged by stones thrown , tear gas was used and police injured.

So I expect there may now be a little surge towards Brexit.

Will keep looking to see if the BBC report it,they do seem to forget certain items.

Elegran Tue 21-Jun-16 22:38:30

temperance Sadly, she died in hospital the same day. That is on this thread and is mentioned elsewhere on the forum, and was in all the papers and news programmes. Do you live somewhere without a newspaper or the internet?