Gransnet forums

News & politics

We should think of Jo at the ballot box

(288 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Jun-16 08:00:23

Stephen Kinnock was a good friend of Jo Cox. He has written an article in my paper about the closeness of their families. I have no problem with most of what he has written apart from the instruction that we must think of her when we vote!
I am appalled by what has happened to her and feel great sympathy for her family but
I fail to see that her death has anything to do with the way I vote!
Am I wrong To feel that this appeal is rather distasteful?

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 10:11:58

I consider that people in the know know better than them durhamjen. Obviously really.

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 10:12:02

Jalima, had your daily fix I see
anniebach I was just replying to your previous post
I don't like insinuations that I am dishonest thank you.

Can you let it go now please
Have the last word as long as it not another veiled insinuation about someone's integrity or honesty.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 10:12:43

marmark one of those so called "do gooders and lovie" died on Friday because she was trying to and did make a difference. Mrs Cox was below most people's horizon she wasn't saying "look at me see how good I am" She had no hate in her heart.

I do what I can by having money taken out of my pension for children abroad and in the UK. It doesn't make me exceptional nor a do gooder. There are probably millions of us doing the same thing. And as a result I can see the good my chosen charity is doing. It is all I can do

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 10:13:21

They are getting things 2nd or 3rd or 9th hand.

nigglynellie Tue 21-Jun-16 10:18:37

You've completely hit the nail on the head Marmark1! These are exactly my thoughts too! Wonder why all the wealthy are so keen to stay in!!! It's fairly obvious that those with a vested interest in the EU(!) will be keen to stay as no one would want to be shoved off that gravy train and all the goodies that go with it, or worse still risk not being able to catch it at all!! None of these people will be even remotely affected personally, as they all without exception have an escape route should things go wrong, a Greek scenario for example! That disgraceful businesses on the Thames the other day, when a pair of lovies shoes probably cost more than a fisherman earns in a month! People like that make me puke! I'm voting out, and it was Nick Clegg this morning who finally decided me! God forbid that a lucrative job and a gold plated pension should be snatched away by us ignorant peasants.

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 10:20:54

There are probably millions of us doing the same thing. And as a result I can see the good my chosen charity is doing
We, amongst many millions of others, do too - which can bring heart that for every hate-filled person there must be a million others trying to help and do good even in a small way.

rosesarered Tue 21-Jun-16 10:23:48

Have stayed off all the EU threads for a while, as it became obvious that certain posters would dominate in an unpleasant way quite often. So sensible posts by such as Jalima POGS Elegran Eloethan amongst others, although they stand out from the dubious and dogmatic offerings of some posters here, are largely ignored or ridiculed or called 'nasty'.This forum is mirroring life in the way words are twisted to suit , weasel words employed, and insults to anyone and everyone who may be backing Leave are thrown around.

daphnedill Tue 21-Jun-16 12:16:28

Do you mean the people who challenged Farage on the Thames? If you do, I assume you do realise that one of the 'lovies' was Jo Cox. Her shoes were left behind at the murder scene. There was a picture of them - they didn't look that expensive to me.

PS. I've just congratulated Elegran on an excellent post and I don't know which 'side' she's on.

Anniebach Tue 21-Jun-16 12:39:20

Boris Johnsons sister was with Geldof

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 14:44:35

She did write this:

She was keen to stress that she was there to oppose Nigel Farage's camp, not the official Leave campaign, led by her brother.

She said: "This for me is against the Farage-ist outfit"

"It's not against Boris and Gove and Brexit . It's about that Farage outfit that put out that response to the Orlando shooting, which was low. And it's not where I want to be, it's not where I want us to be."

Quite difficult to separate them when they are both on the same side; however, it doesn't sound as if Boris has much time for Farage. He and his sister are very close, from what I understand, despite differing views on this.

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 14:45:28

When I say she I mean Rachel Johnson

Anniebach Tue 21-Jun-16 15:04:37

They msy be close, she has said on tv she is voting Remain in , one reason being her daughter wants to work in Paris

Anniebach Tue 21-Jun-16 15:06:17

I thought that James Dyson was very wealthy and he supports Brexit

Tegan Tue 21-Jun-16 15:12:49

Isn't Boris's father in Remain as well?

daphnedill Tue 21-Jun-16 15:18:58

I suppose Boris and his sister can disagree without falling out.

It's interesting, though, that you mention her contempt (if that's the right word) for Farage. I picked up from a blog I was reading a couple of weeks age that there's not much love lost between the official Leave group and Farage.

At the time the Leave side was behind in the polls and the contributors were discussing how the economic arguments weren't persuading anybody. They were all Leave supporters and were mocking the £350 million a day argument saying it was nonsense and nobody would believe it. They called Gove Dominic Cumming's sock puppet and weren't very complimentary about Johnson.

Somebody wrote that they'd have to crank up the immigration argument and somebody else wrote that's what Farage was intending to do.

I don't think Gove and Johnson DO believe in the immigration argument, maybe because they know that the figure of 100,000 isn't realistic and actually do realise how valuable immigrants are to the economy. Carswell has never been in favour of limiting immigration in the same way as Farage.

Richard North, who used to be linked to UKIP and stood as a candidate for the Referendum Party, was one of the contributors.

Welshwife Tue 21-Jun-16 15:32:30

Juncker the President of the EU did say a couple of months ago that there would be no EU army as so many of the countries did not support it as they felt NATO and UN were probably enough. (Also of course it would mean more man power probably for each country to fund) He also said that things needed to change but they could not start to look at it till after the referendum.
Guthrie may be clever man and so on but he did retire 15 years ago so probably not quite so up to date - and there are still many other generals etc who feel we should stay in.
There are many arguments in this referendum and it is what is the best way over all - not just one point which the leaders of the campaign wish you to focus on - that is the point they think will get them the most votes.

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:03:52

The wealthy/elite on the whole seem to want to stay in. It is beginning to feel odd.
Like the light and vested interests are beginning to show through everything.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:07:41

obieone watch the Professor Dougan lecture

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:08:15

Jeremy Clarkson and James May say remain.
Jeremy Clarkson for years has wanted Out.

I read, [it could be a load of rubbish] that they want in as it is easier to make their show, as regards borders, if we are in.

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:20:50

I got bored 6 mins in whitewave. Is he saying anything that we havent already discussed several times before?

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:25:30

Oh obieone you really ought to bear with it as I think that is absolutely essential if you intend to vote on Thursday. No one should vote without this information

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:36:42

So he isnt saying anything different or new to what we have all discussed before I presume.

Alea Tue 21-Jun-16 16:58:58

Jeremy Clarkson and James May say remain.
Jeremy Clarkson for years has wanted Out

Apart from the fact that "celebrities" don't necessarily impress me, however sincere and well meaning they may be, but do we have evidence for your claim?

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 17:10:03

Juncker the President of the EU did say a couple of months ago that there would be no EU army as so many of the countries did not support it as they felt NATO and UN were probably enough. (Also of course it would mean more man power probably for each country to fund)
That was the reason given to me Welshwife re the RN - resources would have to be spread too thinly.

I think people were upset with Geldof (do-gooder but wealthy - not sure about his tax status, someone queried it but I don't know) because he may have been aiming at Farage with his insults, but it was the ordinary fishermen who were demonstrating - supposedly peacefully - for Brexit. The fishermen were upset because the people on Geldof's boat are probably all very well-to-do, voting Remain, but the fishermen are struggling to earn a decent income due to EU regulations.

That being said, someone I know has extensive contacts with the fishing industry and said many, not all, of the fishermen he has spoken to recently are in favour of Remain because they export most of their catch to the EU.

daphnedill Tue 21-Jun-16 17:28:46

@Jalima

The EU regulations were changed a couple of years ago and the UK got a favourable deal. No thanks to Farage, who was on the EU Fishing Commission, but to the TV chef, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. The fishermen's biggest grievance was discards, which have been abandoned, and quotas. The UK has generous quotas and it's the responsibility of the UK government, not the EU, to allocate them.

Unfortunately for small trawler owners, they've been overtaken by super-trawlers, which scoop up all the fish for miles and then process them before they've even landed. They and the processing plants can't compete, but that's 'progress' not the EU.

If there aren't any quotas, fishing stocks will disappear and there won't be any fish for future generations. This has already happened with herring.

Fishermen would be cutting off their noses to vote Leave. As you mention, they export their catch to the EU and many of the traditional fishing areas receive huge amounts of EU aid to develop other businesses.

To be honest, fishermen have always had to eke out a living. My gt grandfather came from a big fishing family in the North East and when I was doing research into my family history, I was amazed how poor they were. Many of them also worked as builders, so they had work outside the fishing season, and lived in quite squalid conditions.

I think Geldof was protesting at Farage's hypocrisy.