Gransnet forums

News & politics

Be totally clued up about the constitutional position of the U.K. and the EU. Essential viewing

(104 Posts)
whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 15:52:50

I am no good at blueing things so would someone be very kind and do that for me?

It's Professor Michael Dougan - professor of EU and UK constitutional law. Video about the UK and the EU.

If you want the truth you have to watch this.

TriciaF Thu 23-Jun-16 17:12:54

What would the other European nations react if UK leaves?
For the people I've spoken to in France, they're not bothered.
After all UK isn't a full member anyway, we never joined the Euro.
Many see us an an island nation, separate from the rest of Europe.

granjura Wed 22-Jun-16 20:19:00

Thanks - got you now.

whitewave Wed 22-Jun-16 20:05:12

But yes I take your point out will be out.

whitewave Wed 22-Jun-16 20:04:22

No * granjura* Britain stands alone in its relationship with the EU and the terms it has negotiated over the years, including various opt outs sterling, etc. That's what I meant when I was talking to jing about our possibility of going back, and the special relationship we have with the EU - no one else has the same terms.

granjura Wed 22-Jun-16 19:59:52

L'entente cordiale - wasn't that the one ;) I can tell you- as I talk daily to many many French people, not just one in the bakery- and as said, talked about the issue specifically (not just buying a baguette) about Brexit with a large group of European young adults- that they definitely believe they want the UK to stay in- but if out, will be OUT.

whitewave Wed 22-Jun-16 19:56:56

And you have voted without knowing that ana or are you being pendantic?

Ana Wed 22-Jun-16 19:45:53

What 'special relationship'? I thought that was supposed to be with the US...

whitewave Wed 22-Jun-16 19:35:09

jing of course we can ask if the EU will take us back! But can you imagine the hoops we would have to go through? Our special relationship would be gone never to return.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jun-16 19:16:29

Let me think... where was my last holiday? confused I would have spoken to the lady in the bread shop.

Nope! Can't remember where the fuck I went last.

granjura Wed 22-Jun-16 18:55:50

Have you spoken to some French, Belgians Germans, Italians, etc- very recently jingl??? I was at a large gathering of European young people (in their 20s to 40s mainly)- and they made it clear. If Brits want out- that is very sad and tragic, but don't they dare ask to trade agreements and ask to have their 'cake and eat it'. As for return - well I just can't imagine that would ever work.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jun-16 18:50:10

I think it's quite possible the they would welcome us back with open arms.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jun-16 18:49:26

I don't understand this "no going back" thing. Who says so? Even a future government could decide to leave purely off their own bat, without even calling a referendum. And there could certainly be another referendum some time in the future.

obieone Wed 22-Jun-16 17:00:03

I will watch it later Elegran.

Personally I would have thought everyone thinks leave is leave.

Welshwife Wed 22-Jun-16 16:51:17

That is the whole tragedy of the referendum obie people not realising that there is no going back if we leave - if we reamain in another ten-twenty years another referendum would be possible but not if we leave - for one thing they are very unlikely to ever want us back!

granjura Wed 22-Jun-16 16:42:04

Thanks and shared.

Elegran Wed 22-Jun-16 16:35:59

Here is another video which whitewave posted How trade deals work (One minute 44 seconds and very straightforward, not long enough to get bored)

Devorgilla Wed 22-Jun-16 16:01:33

Thank you Whitewall for flagging up this video and Alea for facilitating the link. I have just watched it. Excellent delivery and content.

obieone Wed 22-Jun-16 07:25:09

Cant see that happening whitewave.

When people go to the polls, they do it on the assumption that they are voting for the next 5 years or so.

Which part are you particularly bothered about if the vote is out?
I dont quite get your point.

obieone Wed 22-Jun-16 07:20:59

The left wing who though?
They may have thought they have, but when you are living in a grotty area of Britain, and are determind to vote OUT, there is a disconnect between what London thinks is right, and what Labour Joe public thinks and wants.

But we shall see.
We only have two days to wait and see.

whitewave Wed 22-Jun-16 07:18:14

I think Mason has a point though that there should be a General election if the vote is out. We can then vote in a government who we think will do the best it can for the UK.

Elegran Wed 22-Jun-16 07:10:26

Perhaps because the left wing considered all the implications for the future before making up their minds? Politics isn't ALL about manipulating the poor into voting for them (known to the Romans as free bread and circuses) strange as that may sound to you.

obieone Wed 22-Jun-16 07:05:42

absent, no it isn't binding. It has to be ratified by, I cant remember who. Our parliament and the EU I think, but dont quote me on that.
But I have read that the government would feel pressurred to act quickly about it if it was an OUT.

From my point of view, if a government believes in democracy, and wants to be seen to believe in democracy, they dont have much or any choice.

obieone Wed 22-Jun-16 07:01:52

Well there looks like there is going to be a North South divide about my post of 21.30pm for starters.

I think you will find, come friday and afterwards, it will be a hot topic of conversation.

Perhaps have a bit more think about it.

In poorere areas of Britain, it is quite well known, that they are saying they will choose OUT.

We may not like all their reasons for doing so, but the Labour Party, which has been their traditional party of choice, has somewhat ignored them.

I am not sure they will be able to win them back after the referendum.

It has shown the Labour Party itself, and in general, to be quite out of touch with how the poor lead their lives.

They dont really understand them, and are certainly not listening to them.

Jeremy Corbyn himself might be able to pull them back. Not sure. I dont think that some of the Labour local MPs though will be able to by the next election. Some people can have long memories.

We shall see. Time will tell.

absent Wed 22-Jun-16 06:50:01

Professor Michael Dougan was a revelation and almost made me wish I had studied constitutional law.

Just a thought – does anyone know if this referendum is binding? (In other words, does the current Government legally have to act on the results?)

Alea Wed 22-Jun-16 04:29:00

I checked out the site publishing this so-called letter daphnedill and it is also claiming some (to me) nonsense that the man who tackled Jo Cox's murderer and tried to help her "was a widower who died 3 years ago", citing and printing an obituary to that effect.
Clearly they have found an obituary of the wrong man, people can have the same name, but what appalling taste to make this assertion.