Gransnet forums

News & politics

Be totally clued up about the constitutional position of the U.K. and the EU. Essential viewing

(103 Posts)
whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 15:52:50

I am no good at blueing things so would someone be very kind and do that for me?

It's Professor Michael Dougan - professor of EU and UK constitutional law. Video about the UK and the EU.

If you want the truth you have to watch this.

Alea Tue 21-Jun-16 15:57:58

www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTypBKEd8Y

I posted this link a couple of days ago, (can't remember high of the Referendum threads) but here it is again.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 15:59:12

Oh thank you so much alea I am sorry I must have missed it then. There is so much to read.

Alea Tue 21-Jun-16 16:00:17

I think when obieone asked her disingenuous questions about "power and control," "them and us,", it might have been hopeful to listen to the FACTS not the hearsay prejudices.

Alea Tue 21-Jun-16 16:00:46

"helpful", not "hopeful"!!!

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:05:55

I don't think anyone ought to vote unless they have listened to this lecture.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:11:53

I'm going to watch it again to assimilate it all.

Luckygirl Tue 21-Jun-16 16:18:13

....or listened to someone else's lecture that says the opposite!.......

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:26:08

This is the 3rd time you have mentioned the video whitewave.

So I have no problem saying for the 2nd time, what is he saying that hasnt been discussed on gransnet many times before?

I turned the video off after 6 minutes.

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:27:31

His vested interest is that his jopb relies on the EU.

I am starting to see a pattern from those celebs/elite who are saying to vote remain.

Their jobs.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:27:36

Did you listen to it lucky?

What would be the alternative constitutional law that we have with the EU then? Is there one?

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:28:34

No obieone he is a professor of law. His job doesn't rely on the EU

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:28:57

Alea. What is disingenous about it? Please explain.

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:30:41

If you listen more carefully to the first 5 minutes, you will find that his job is very much tied up with the EU. EU law.

That doesnt mean that he couldnt find another job. But he is currently reliant on the EU.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:31:01

These are legal facts - objective facts - evidence based facts. What else do you want?

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:33:21

Oh dear oh dear. Professor Dougan is an Expert in EU constitutional law. Would you prefer to have listened to an ignoramous in EU constitutional law?

Welshwife Tue 21-Jun-16 16:36:27

whitewave grin

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:44:38

Is there anything different or new on it that we haven't discussed on gransnet before?

dramatictessa Tue 21-Jun-16 16:44:47

Actually, obieone, he may well stand to gain more if we leave, as his expertise will be needed in drafting new laws. Legislation doesn't just write itself, and it's also not written by politicians. But, since you didn't bother to listen to the lecture, I won't bother to argue reason with you.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:46:41

obioene where on here have we discussed constitutional law?

dramatictessa Tue 21-Jun-16 16:48:27

luckygirl, do you have a link to a video/article by an expert with an opposite viewpoint? I would actually like to hear/read something with hard evidence for the Leave side.

granjura Tue 21-Jun-16 16:51:18

How can one sensibly discuss anything with anyone who refuses to look at evidence from all sides- especially those who are not politicians and have decades of study and experience under their belt?

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:54:29

Quite honestly I almost wish I hadn't watched it as I think Brexit would be a disaster after understanding the legal implications.
Goodness knows what we are going to do.

Alea Tue 21-Jun-16 16:55:21

The tempting cheap answer is that there isn't an expert with the opposite viewpoint, but that might be unfair.
I have heard Chris Grayling on the radio sounding reasonably sane, also Gisela Stuart, so you could Google them.
However, the appeals to the emotions carry less weight with me than facts, expertise and knowledge.

hildajenniJ Tue 21-Jun-16 17:23:19

Did anyone read the open letter from the Greek people?
Did I see it on here somewhere, or was it somewhere else?
If it was somewhere else, would anyone like me to find it?