Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Corbyn and the Duke of Plaza-Toro

(8 Posts)
M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 15:55:19

I am not sure he would be comfortable taking the lead, but possible a part with one line in the third act.

He needs to do something to justify his position. I was hoping he would surprise us all by beng a resounding success or failing that,that at least his antics would add to the gaiety of the nation, but he hasn't even managed that, he has just been a bit of a damp squib.

To draw an another analogy, a bit like mole in 'Wind in the Willows' scrabbling about in other people's/animal's wake or pottering round his underground den talking to himself.

breeze Fri 24-Jun-16 15:45:30

Jeremy Corbyn the musical! Maybe Benny and Bjorn would oblige. He can play the lead role. He'll have the time it seems. Love it (the thread).

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 15:38:28

Yes, of course, but just as effective the other way round!

Mind you the parallels with the Duke of P-T grow. A leter verse says:

When told that they would all be shot
Unless they left the service,
That hero hesitated not,
So marvellous his nerve is.
He sent his resignation in,
The first of all his corps, O!

Oh no! That is Cameron.

Ana Fri 24-Jun-16 15:00:19

'No confidence', surely M0nica! grin

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 14:59:00

I notice that formal notice has been given that labour mps want to hold a vote of confidence in Jeremy.

As for 'The Little List'. It has to be somebody who is essentially unpleasant and underhand. How about John Redwood or Ken Livingstone

Anniebach Fri 24-Jun-16 10:43:13

Good one Greyduster

Greyduster Fri 24-Jun-16 10:35:03

And to whom would you assign the ditty from the Mikado - "I've got a little list"? hmm

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 10:08:16

In enterprise of martial kind,
When there was any fighting,
He led his regiment from behind—
He found it less exciting.

But when away his regiment ran,
His place was at the fore, O—
That celebrated,
Cultivated,
Underrated
Nobleman,
The Duke of Plaza-Toro!

The similarity to Corbyn cannot be ignored.

For those who do not know, the Duke of Plaza-Toro is a character in the Gilbert & Sullivan opera, 'The Gondoliers'.