Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jean-Claude Juncker can go away and eat his words. (This is a moving on thread)

(63 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 09:57:37

He cannot be allowed to dictate to us when we start the leaving process.

The British people have had a referendum. That is internal politics. Yes, the result with have an effect on the EU, but we are fully entitled to start this when our Prime Minister feels the time is right. Our decision entirely.

Back off Juncker. We will do it our way. And it will be as amicable as we choose to make it.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 20:37:57

Petra I have heard that too (heavy drinking in Iceland)

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 20:36:32

It's all a lot of posturing and bluster by Junker.

Crafting Sun 26-Jun-16 20:34:53

If they want us out straight away, I assume the are happy to go without our £350 million a week straight away too?

POGS Sun 26-Jun-16 09:55:13

MargaretX Sat 17.23

I think you are referring to the fact Tony Blair's government in 2004 made a decision to not put in place any 'Transition Controls' when 10 more countries joined the EU. Other countries such as France and Germany did put in place 'Transition Controls' for up to 7 years.

This is exactly why Labour have always been said to have adopted an 'Opened Door ' policy that has caused so many of our problems to date. The expansion of countries joining the Schengen Agreement is in my opinion now a reason why there is disquiet throughout Europe.

We may feel in the UK that we are the only nation to be concerned by immigration and free movement of people but it is worth remembering that there is now temporary border controls in 6 Schengen Area countries , Germany,Denmark, Austria, France , Norway and Sweden. Now I know there is the added influence of refugees and economic migrants but my point is there is a problem facing the EU that has been prevalent in the UK for years and that is why there is the rise of nationalist parties.

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 23:42:55

They definitely don't go in for cups of tea in the afternoon like wot we do
Perhaps some people are surreptitiously putting a slug of whisky or brandy in their brew

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 23:40:54

Whether Churchill drank or not (and I defer to your superior knowledge daphnedil as you obviously have first-hand knowledge and more than ^most historians^) is irrelevant.

We They have someone steering the EU who is allegedly a drunkard. That must affect his ability and his judgement.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 20:27:34

They definitely don't go in for cups of tea in the afternoon like wot we do.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 20:26:20

I dunno. Wherever you go in Europe there are loads of pavement tables with people swigging alcohol.

Have a heart petra. They need something to warm 'em up in Iceland!

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 20:25:16

Iceland is the most peaceful nation on earth. Apart from excellent murder mysteries of course

petra Sat 25-Jun-16 20:21:21

I always gave the Scandinavians top prize for drinking until I went to Iceland, they are the true champions.

Devorgilla Sat 25-Jun-16 19:45:28

I think you will find it is the Brits who are the nation of functioning alcoholics.

daphnedill Sat 25-Jun-16 19:14:11

Well, not so sure about that, Jalima. There are various definitions of alcoholism. My grandfather was a civil servant, who worked on an almost daily basis with him at one stage and he certainly thought that he drank too much, to the extent that it affected his thought processes.

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 19:08:36

Winston Churchill's bibulous meals and tendency to keep a whisky going through the day are legendary. Yet most historians agree that Churchill's supposed abuse of alcohol is a myth; he was no alcoholic. Of course, Churchill himself did very little to discourage rumours about his alcoholic excess.28 Jan 2015

petra Sat 25-Jun-16 19:00:14

And (allegedly) rumours of dodgy deals when a certain Internet company allocated to luxemburg.
And I'm sure he won't forget that Cameron was against him being given the top job.

daphnedill Sat 25-Jun-16 18:55:33

Churchill was an alcoholic.

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 18:53:14

no smoke without fire as they say (allegedly)

Ana Sat 25-Jun-16 18:27:33

Yes indeed. A drunken despot (allegedly).

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 18:23:21

The lives and finances of millions is the responsibility of Juncker,
That is a truly frightening thought in the light of the allegations that have surrounded him for years.

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 18:21:08

Probably but it doesn't negate my argument

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 18:19:28

What about the 500 million who are waiting to rebuild after the utter mess of our making. Don't they have the moral high ground? I think they do
whitewave there could be more than a few million of them who are hoping for their own referendum

obieone Sat 25-Jun-16 18:18:03

I would have thought we will hear more monday or tuesday. Politicans on all sides like weekends and holidays.

I think it will be the financial markets who will decide the pace.

I think a lot of people think politicians run things, but finance has a bigger say. Just like household budgets.

And they dont work on weekends either, as far as I know.

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 18:17:45

Riverwalk re Juncker:
Rumours about his drinking have been circulating for years.
www.channel4.com/news/jean-claude-juncker-what-you-should-know

Joelsnan Sat 25-Jun-16 18:07:26

MargaretX
Could you please state the source of your truth regarding UK blocking free movement control, I would be interested to read this. thank you.

Devorgilla Sat 25-Jun-16 18:00:38

If I read it correctly Article 50 states we, the exiters, can activate the process when we want to as a result of the referendum. We remain a member and presumably have to pay our dues until the settlement. 52% voted to leave and will be expecting action from our own government and not the EU who, like the electorate, must sit and wait until the Government acts. The EU does not have to sit in silence though and are within their rights to complain if we procrastinate. But so can all sections of the electorate in this country, some of whom will be anything but silent and submissive about it and that's in both camps. Everyone wants a stable market and to know where they stand in it all. I think the UK Brexit powers that be haven't a clue what to do and have no plan at all because they never expected it to happen their way or that they would to be in charge of it. But that isn't good enough for the EU or for the electorate in this country or the world as a whole. Our politicians on all on sides need to step up and either confess it was all one big mistake and we are never going to serve the order or do what Nicola Sturgeon has done and publicly announce they have set up a committee of the finest brains to forge our settlement. Whatever happens, it is at least only courteous to all concerned to at least give a hint of what will happen next so people can move on.

MargaretX Sat 25-Jun-16 17:23:48

The lives and finances of millions is the responsibility of Juncker, and he is standing up for his people In comparison Cameron cannot even stand up to what he promised. That he would guide the UK through the necessary steps to the Uk actually leaving.
The LEAVE campaign have no actual plan to leave.They will need 100 trained EU economists and lawyers to cope with the hundreds of trade agreements. They have 10, They didn't grasp that they couldn't use those working for the EU.

I also learned to day that in 2004 when the Eastern Block opened its borders for people to leave or emigrate, that then the EU countries decided to update their benefit systems to allow only people with jobs to enter.
With one exeception. the UK they decided against this- they were glad to take anybody.
So there you have the TRUTH
It wasn't the EU's fault after all.