Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour party latest

(203 Posts)
dorish Sun 26-Jun-16 09:06:29

I'm a bit of a lurker and don't post very often but it's raining and I am stuck in watching the news and fascinated (in a slightly scared way) about what sky news is calling the "Labour civil war"

Personally I would like to see Benn succeed. I think Corbyn has to go

rosesarered Thu 30-Jun-16 17:25:46

wink petra well, I would never get out otherwise!

petra Thu 30-Jun-16 17:23:27

Roses What, you mean you leave the house when people are waiting on your every word.

nigglynellie Thu 30-Jun-16 17:21:51

I can't understand why sexual orientation is brought up on here at all when discussing anyone!! Perhaps the press will try and make something of it with Angela Eagle, but maybe not. No one refers to somebody being heterosexual so why mention anything else? Maybe ab it's your Christian beliefs that lead you to make this particular point when describing somebody? The bible is pretty intolerant on this subject.
By the way, I buy sliced bread!! It is Hovis though and 50 - 50!!!

mcem Thu 30-Jun-16 17:17:31

AB I've heard it said that 'paki' is not an offensive term since it's just an abbreviation of the word Pakistani - the adjective used for a person from Pakistan.
However most of us would now find the term inappropriate and unacceptable. It smacks of casual racism.
To use the term Lesbian in the dismissive way you did is to my mind similar. When I expressed my discomfort with your usage last night I couched my comment and question in reasonable and polite words.
Now that you've asked for opinions and have received a few clear and pertinent comments would you look again at my posts in a different light?
I reiterate that I found your contributions disappointing in the light of your previous posts. Although I did not always agree with them I always gave you credit for your passion and strong convictions.

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 17:05:01

.thstbags, u have explained, I was not joining in with the filth, you have given your opinion and I have thanked you.

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 17:00:31

ab, you are right about personal and often upleasant media comments about politicians. But we don't have to join in with that stuff.

rosesarered Thu 30-Jun-16 16:49:57

I have a life ab

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 16:47:04

No problem with your judgement risesarered, I asked snd you replied, I just commented on the fact you were later than usual , I expected you much sooner

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 16:45:18

The press could not attack them on their sexuality , it's sgsinst the law

rosesarered Thu 30-Jun-16 16:41:20

and I doubt the press would make anything of it anyway, they do not attack Ruth Davidson or Kezia Dugdale.

rosesarered Thu 30-Jun-16 16:39:19

you did ask ab what others thought of your statement... well there it is.

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 16:37:02

Been waiting for you risesarered, your late

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 16:36:18

Thank you Jalima, yes I suppose it could taking into account the minds of some.

The mistake I made was not saying the press will use the following to attack her , ill dressed and lesbian

rosesarered Thu 30-Jun-16 16:31:49

we can all be critical of style, or lack of it, but a person's sexual orientation need not even be brought up.

Jalima Thu 30-Jun-16 16:19:04

I think pointing it out as part of the definition of that person could mean that one could be considered homophobic by other people, even if one is not.
After all, one does not refer to 'that ill-dressed heterosexual Jeremy' or 'that well-dressed heterosexual Nicola'

At least, I don't.

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 16:06:45

Not the question niggle, does saying a person is guy mean one is homophobic ?

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 16:04:54

You are wrong thatbags, I am always willing to reply to questions, I will not reply to offensive accusations .

nigglynellie Thu 30-Jun-16 16:02:42

Why on earth is anyone even remotely interested in whether someone is a lesbian, homosexual, or anything else, well dressed or otherwise?!! Surely an individual's sexual orientation is so much no one else's business as to warrant no thought, never mind comment at all! I'm completely baffled as to why it's been mentioned! what for?!! What relevance has it to their ability to do their job? Frankly, who cares? and why?

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 16:02:26

, I agree it has nothing to do with politics, Ed Milliband eating a bacon sandwich, David Milliband holding a banana , Corbyn wearing a vest . Foot wearing a short winter coat at the cenotaph , .kinnock tripping in the sea and so many more could be listed, these had nothing to do with their politics but they all run on the front pages of the Tory press for days. If you believe they will not criticise Angela for her dressing like May or find something to bring up about her sexuality , with care, you have more trust in the press than I .

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 16:01:06

PS I can't remember if it was on this thread or another, but I've read posts by you that are asking for explanations and getting irritated when they are not forthcoming, and yet you object to giving explanations yourself.

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 15:47:06

I think the phrase "this not well dressed lesbian" is critical and dismissive in an unpleasant way. It also has nothing to do with her politics or her political abilities, which are among the actually important things that should be considered in the circumstances.

I can't remember if you were one of the people who objected to people commenting on Corbyn's sartorial shabbiness in the period just after his election as Labour leader, but I know some people objected. Quite rightly too, imo.

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 14:47:51

Would any poster who even if they disagree with my the views please advise me if my saying Angela Eagle is a lesbian is s criticism ? Thank you

M0nica Thu 30-Jun-16 14:47:01

whatever

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 14:45:08

Monica, please back off and find other amusement. How dare you judge me by one sentence, I choose not to write epistles , oh that you took the same decision. O owe no apology, i have no reason to defend myself because you look for dirt where there is no dirt.

I will explain to anyone who asks questions , I will not explain to you who assumes they know it all

M0nica Thu 30-Jun-16 14:30:02

Anniebach your reply to my real shock at you criticising Angela Eagle for being Lesbian is disingenuous. If you meant what you claimed you meant then you would have worded you comments differently saying 'This not well-dressed woman is lacking in charisma and some may object to her because she is lesbian,' or some such wording.

It is not what you say but the way that you say it that is most indicative of your opinions on this subject - and the fact that you tried to ignore those comments until prompted by others (thank you POGS, mcem) tells us much.

Had you immediately apologised with a reasonably acceptable excuse - late and night and tired etc and expressed your real regret at your unfortunate use of words, it would have been just possible to accept that you are not homophobic. But the way you responded to the criticism you received only solidifies the belief that you are indeed homophobic.

Shami Chakrabarti's report on racism in the labour party hs just been published She says that the labour party is not overrun by anti-Semitism or other forms of racism but there is an "occasionally toxic atmosphere", adding that there was "too much clear evidence... of ignorant attitudes".

That criticism clearly applies to attitudes to homophobia as well. As far as I am concerned, other than as a member of this castigated group you are a busted flush.