Gransnet forums

News & politics

A new Centre party?

(212 Posts)
kittylester Sun 26-Jun-16 14:49:01

I know I say this often, but is now the time for a new SDP to arise from the mess? Where is a Gang of Four when you need them?

Anniebach Sun 24-Jul-16 12:57:46

Sorry, forgot the boundaries changes , approx 40 seats will go ,the majority labour seats

Anniebach Sun 24-Jul-16 12:40:08

To stay as leader Jen

1883 election the Labour Party moved to the left the result was the Tory party won 397 seats Labour 209 seats and we had Scotland's vote then, this will happen again , in fact it will be worse , no Scotland votes and UKIP on the rise

It will happen , Momentum cannot penetrate middle England . UKIP will gain because Corbyn will not entertain controlled immigration

Corbyn cannot take politics back to the forties

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 12:23:58

So what do you think is his priority?

Anniebach Sun 24-Jul-16 11:58:24

Jen what happened in the eighties will happen again if Corbyn is leader . The only way to start undoing the damage he has done to the Labour Party is for Corbyn to stand down, he will not, winning an election is not his priority neither is the Labour Party

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 11:27:47

Should prove interesting. Might temper the excesses of both parties.
Surely you do not want what happened in the 80s, Annie?

Anniebach Sun 24-Jul-16 11:11:58

So a labour MP and a Tory MP will remain in their own parties but not vote with their party whip?

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 10:33:47

It says all the members will decide.
Obviously if you do not agree, you do not join.
Sounds like a reasonable start to me for those who do not agree with Corbyn or Brexit.

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 10:30:28

www.moreunited.uk/beliefs

Principles already decided on.

Anniebach Sun 24-Jul-16 10:27:43

But it's not a party Jen , possibly he is testing the water before trying to form one but I see little sense in this group. They will support MP's from any party , these MP's will have to vote against each other at some time

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 10:22:33

Sounds a possible runner. Wonder how or who will decide on the principles?

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 09:20:49

www.moreunited.uk/what-is-more-united

Paddy's done it.

M0nica Sat 23-Jul-16 15:52:00

Seems a very good idea. Most MPs consult their constituency parties before making their decisions and MPs are elected representatives.

The main purpose of a party leader is to lead their party in Parliament and Labour has shown us the problems that ensue when a party elects a leader completely incapable of doing this.

durhamjen Thu 21-Jul-16 23:13:11

Not true. The labour party had an electoral college before the one member one vote system introduced by MILIBAND.
There were three groups in the electoral college, having different numbers of votes. But they all voted.

The tory MPs decide on the last two members, and the party members only get to choose between them.

thatbags Thu 21-Jul-16 20:17:33

The system the Tories use to elect their party leader was also the system Labour used until Ed Miliband introduced the new £3 vote so that just anyone, pretty much, could vote in the Labour leader. I don't really see the logic behind that and, as has been pointed out, the system is very open to abuse because, for instance, people who wanted to destroy Labour could pay the £3 sub and vote in someone quite unsuitable.

Which, on the face of it, seems to be what happened last September.

M0nica Thu 21-Jul-16 20:07:13

dj I understood that the reason Andrea Leadsom stood down, or whoever was the second from last standing, did so because the message coming up from the constituencies was so solidly behind Teresa May that it was quite clear that she didn't stand the remotest chance of being elected by the party faithful so she decide to spare herself this further humiliation by conceding defeat early on.

M0nica Thu 21-Jul-16 11:20:28

What a sensible woman, she obviously realised how right I was.

durhamjen Wed 20-Jul-16 22:29:18

www.yourbritain.org.uk/agenda-2020/commissions/home-affairs/labour-believes-that-the-first-past-the-post-electoral-system-should-be-replaced-with-a-proportional-electoral-system-for-future-elections-to-the-uk-parliament

More wanting PR than you think, Monica.

durhamjen Wed 20-Jul-16 22:26:06

Of course, the tories did not get to vote, did they? Just the tory MPs. I wonder if we will ever get to know how the party members feel?

durhamjen Wed 20-Jul-16 22:24:11

Are you Theresa May in real life? She said exactly that in PMQs today.

M0nica Wed 20-Jul-16 22:18:33

We had a referendum on alternative voting in 2011. Turn out was just over 40% and just under 70% of those who voted wanted to stay with the current first pass the vote system.

Those pushing for a more representative way of voting are the same old, same old, which includes me as a Lib Dem member supporter. I think there is very little support for change outside the group who have always wanted it and little or none in the wider general public.

The electorate have always been happy to vote for both the main parties and both of them have always been divided between right wing and left wing elements, so complete unity in a central party is probably not an essential, providing both wings can come together when it matters, which the Conservatives usually do, look at the recent change of leadership, with both EU leavers and remainers uniting to support a remainer candidate, but which, sadly Labour never quite manages. Hence the election of Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the labour party and in the time the Tories managed a complete leadership election, Labour MPs couldn't even agree the rules for their leadership tussle.

durhamjen Tue 19-Jul-16 20:17:35

Good point, granjura. leftunity also want PR.

granjura Tue 19-Jul-16 20:15:40

To stand a chance- the centre should be united as divided they will not have a chance with the current voting system.

I have personally re-joined the Lib Dems, as the only possible way forward. Might be different again once PR has been adopted, but for now- dividing means they rule.

durhamjen Tue 19-Jul-16 19:59:06

leftunity.org/manifesto/

Coalition of the left.

durhamjen Tue 19-Jul-16 19:52:38

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-john-mcdonnell-proportional-representation-pr-make-votes-matter-protest-a7018056.html

Devorgilla Tue 19-Jul-16 19:18:34

dj, I am sorely tempted on that one.