Gransnet forums

News & politics

Shall we join the Tories?

(15 Posts)
kittylester Mon 27-Jun-16 11:10:46

If enough of us did then at least we might be able to stop Boris.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 27-Jun-16 11:12:26

Yes. But it's the twenty five quid....

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 27-Jun-16 11:13:24

And anyway.... I want to watch. grin

kittylester Mon 27-Jun-16 11:19:19

grin That has an awful appeal, doesn't it?

M0nica Mon 27-Jun-16 11:27:26

Can you belong to two parties at once, like dual citizenship?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 27-Jun-16 13:35:55

I would think you can Monica. How would they know?

Devorgilla Mon 27-Jun-16 13:43:05

MOnica, they usually run a check. That's how Labour got rid of their infiltrators. It is tempting as the Tories started it first with Labour's election. Until BJ, MG, NF et al get to grips with the new economy from Brexit unfortunately I need every penny.

granjura Mon 27-Jun-16 13:44:53

kitty I just couldn't, really. I like your idea of a new party- but feel it was such a shame for Clegg to burn his wings in the coalition- wish he could have waited, as his time would be now.

M0nica Mon 27-Jun-16 17:01:52

How do they do that, do they have access to every parties memebership list? Actually, granjura, I agree I don't think I could either.

Lib Dems have increased their membership by 5,000 this week and Tim Farron has come out with a statement saying that the party remains committed to Europe and they would take us back into the EU.

varian Mon 27-Jun-16 17:08:36

Join the LibDems - Nick Clegg made a difficult decision in 2010, made some mistakes but achieved a good deal, and suffered the cosequences in 2015.

Now we have another opportunity to support the only progressive party not leaderless and in a state of disarray. Tim Farron has shown himself to be an excellent campaigner and he speaks from the heart and says what many of us want to hear - because it is what we believe and he does too.

Teetime Mon 27-Jun-16 17:10:08

kitty has hell frozen over?

Devorgilla Mon 27-Jun-16 17:18:11

MOnica, I am not entirely sure how they find out about those who have never been involved in a political party but do bear in mid that all parties do audits during canvassing of likely supporters and that is based on the most up-to-date electoral roll. That gives some indication of their favoured party which they can follow up but of course people are free to change their minds. Some are easy. When you google them they come up as a councillor for another party or FB sometimes shows who they support. They can't have access to members' lists I think because of data protection/privacy etc. It is a time consuming exercise .

M0nica Mon 27-Jun-16 19:50:37

I haven't been canvassed since I moved to my current home 20 years ago. Since moving here I have been pretty below the radar, no ostensible political activity.

Devorgilla Mon 27-Jun-16 20:36:05

You should be fine then. You will of course be pestered forever after with emails etc. Amazed no-one has canvassed you but I do know areas like that do exist because of paucity of party numbers.

M0nica Mon 27-Jun-16 22:07:50

Its a solid conservative constituency! Probably assume that, as houses in our road are quite expensive we will all be solidly Tory so do not see the need to canvas it. In fact several of my neighbours are, like me, are not Tory voters.