jinglbellsfrocks Tue 28-Jun-16 16:28:06

at the EU today

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 09:44:22

Not keen on them Daphne

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 09:46:30

Stupid post daphnedll.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 09:48:27

Rude post, jingle.

NF is a perfectly normal abbreviation for National Front.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 09:50:20

To suggest someone might "thank God" for them? There's humour and there's humour.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 09:51:32

Plenty of people are thankful for them. (Not so sure they also believe in God.)

Tegan Thu 30-Jun-16 10:03:26

Not meant to be humorous IMO; I fear that the two NF's are interchangeable and that is a serious concern. How anyone can not see this man as dangerous terrifies me.

cassandra264 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:20:27

whitewave -your comments re. takeover of Labour vote - We already - scarily - have UKIP representation in the Welsh Assembly (now officially the Welsh Parliament) so it's already happened.Appropriate political colour for the times? Paint it black!

tigger Thu 30-Jun-16 10:35:54

In France at the moment and I must say they are very sympathetic towards us.

granjura Thu 30-Jun-16 11:07:57

I live 1/4 mile from France- and the reaction is very mixed. Older and more 'rural' people are sympathetic, but the young and better educated just don't get it at all and find the knock on effect with the NF and Le Pen absolutely terrifying.

The situation in France is much more dangerous and volatile re immigration than in the UK- for vey complex reasons, historical, cultural, societal, and many more (the Algerian war still very much alive with the older generation).

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 14:29:36

"I disagree, dj. For a start, if UKIP had some MPs had some MPs, they might stop their constant whinging about being the anti-establishment underdog. Secondly, it would give them a voice and people would be able to hear what charlatans they are. Thirdly, they would be put on the spot and expected to come up with solutions rather than constant negative sneering. Fourthly, they don't have enough people with the calibre to be MPs, although some Conservatives might join them. There's nothing like giving people a position of responsibility and seeing how they would do things better."

Can you keep them down south, then, please.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121810/signatures/new

I presume you've signed this, then.

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 15:13:55

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/bnp-posts-jo-cox-muslim-slur-through-neighbours-letterboxes-as-racist-attacks-soar-1-7988476

Joelsnan Thu 30-Jun-16 15:32:26

Durhamjenen Take anything YP says with a pinch of salt. They have lost a massive chunk of readership through lies, supposition and general scaremongering. I had to ask if the reporter was suffering from clinical depression because the posts were either made up, exaggerated or included 'could' in the title and it was always absolute doom and gloom. I was reasonably restrained in my responses, but others (from both camps) didn't hold back with many unsubscribing. This us the paper that had the headline that Babyboomers were going to cause poverty in young families.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 16:11:34

It's been reported in other media too.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-36662887

Why do you think the reporter is suffering from clinical depression? It sounds to me as though you have no idea how people with clinical depression behave.

JessM Thu 30-Jun-16 17:15:35

Another hard day of Welsh summer school today. Talk about frying your brains. My friend has been sleeping without sleeping pills for the first time in decades!
But to cheer you up I will tell you the meaning of : paid a chodi pais wedi pisio
It means "don't lift your petticoat after you have pissed (on it)" In other words "no use crying over spilt milk" smile smile
Hope this historic gem, from the days when skirts were longer,and women wore petticoats, meets your approval.
Idioms seem to have long lives here. There is one about getting up early before the dogs of Chester wake up, that seems to date back many centuries to the times when we were still fighting a guerrilla war at the border.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 17:18:54

Cestrians have had to put up with a lot over the centuries! ;-)

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 17:23:50

Sorry, joelsnan, but I think I will accept what the Yorkshire Post says instead of what you say.
As daphme says, it's in other media, too.
How can you stick up for the BNP?

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 17:24:13

Sorry, daphne.

Gracesgran Thu 30-Jun-16 17:25:47

Joelsnan I would agree with you of this was small 'c' Conservatism as the YP tends to be right of centre but I can see no reason why they would be reporting incorrectly in this instance.

I would be really interested, and I expect the YP would be too, to know of the "lies, supposition and general scaremongering" that you refer to.

annan Thu 30-Jun-16 18:20:40

Sorry was not on line earlier so to answer some questions about my earlier post :-

The quote was how a senior EU diplomat saw the UK situation, not me. I copied and pasted it from the Channel 4 website.

He thought 57% was the average vote against the EU across England and Wales outside London - some areas 70% Leave. Difficult for locally selected and elected MPs to go against that tide of voter opinion - even though they have the constitutional right to do so as referendums are advisory not binding.

London & Scots MPs might vote against the referendum result arguing they are representing their regions as the margin for Remain was so high there, but together, these MPs are not a majority at Westminster. MPs with solid Remain voting backing in their constituency might argue their case and face the flack of the rest of the country but would there be a majority of MPs even then?

Constitutionally any MP who thinks Leave puts the safety and integrity of the Country at risk would be duty bound to vote against (their oath on taking office). They are also supposed to vote with their judgement - they are representatives not delegates and if you add those to the above the numbers begin to look better for Remain BUT and this is the clincher: Cameron had already closed down all options.

The PM might have said the 'if the margin across the whole country either way is narrow, if world reaction to the result puts the economy at risk, if the unity of our country is at risk, I will hold a free vote on accepting the result in the H of C or a second referendum after negotiations'.

However, the EU diplomat was pointing out (diplomatically) that Cameron had already declared both before and after the referendum he accepted a simple majority result. I might add Farage said beforehand that if the vote was very close, for example 52% to 48% Remain, he wouldn't accept it and demand another referendum.

In most countries that have a written constitution (we are probably unique in being a democracy without one) it would need a much bigger majority of voters (from 55% to two thirds) in an referendum. In countries comprised of different nations the agreement of all or a majority of Regions/Nations to overturn a decision about a 'constitutional' issue such as this one is also usual. This is because very narrow votes might bring problems which is why these rules are common e.g.: mob rule/electorates can be fickle/ignore facts/even not vote on the real issue on the ballot paper/ regions might rebel/ a large single interest group might rebel.

We don't have a written constitution. The laws we do have say Welsh and Scots legislatures cannot legally override Westminster on EU matters.

chickenwifie Fri 01-Jul-16 07:16:30

Ignorant, rude and dangerous because of it. Its the media that give him coverage because he is so outrageous. We should ignore his racist rants.

Welshwife Fri 01-Jul-16 07:40:49

I see that where tigger is at the moment the French are all sympathetic - it is OK here too as English money has revitalised the area and is keeping it going in some places, but in other parts children at school as young as 8 are being told by classmates that the UK no longer belongs to the EU and they do not belong anymore Some adults are being shouted at and told to go home. Some of the Frecnh Govt offices are refusing to put applications for some things through for Uk people as well - this may not be widespread but although incorrect some people do believe we have already left and feel they can be vociferous about it. They must feel very let down and as if UK has abandoned them.

Gracesgran Fri 01-Jul-16 07:50:55

What a mess!