Gransnet forums

News & politics

At least someone still loves us

(13 Posts)
Indinana Thu 30-Jun-16 22:40:34

minimo thanks for that link - I feel so much better now, not quite the outcast I imagined they thought us!
I loved that Freddie Frinton film! Never seen it before but it took me right back to childhood, as my mother loved FF so much and would always watch anything he was in. Didn't he have a TV series?

silverlining48 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:48:41

jalima and maggie yes it is the film I was talking about, Freddie frinton, dinner for one. When our daughter first moved to Berlin 10 years ago they had a New Year's Eve party with German and English friends. The English carried on drinking While the German friends were glued to the tv when the film came on, and oh how they laughed and laughed, much to our astonishment. They were all youngsters but so enjoyed it. It's an annual treat. Actually it was quite funny.....after a glass or two.!
My daughter is still in Berlin, and loving it.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 20:41:23

grin No, my Herbie's a good environmentally aware German, he rides a bike. No arguing over parking spaces for him.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 20:38:07

You know just where I'm heading now, Ana grin

Ana Thu 30-Jun-16 19:44:00

Oh dear, don't look at Alea's thread 'Granny in a hurray'! grin

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 19:41:53

Our German friend Herbie has banged on about that film for years. From this we know the full script and he does a mean charade of the old lady and her butler. He's never been able to get his head round the fact that we don't know it grin

We went to stay with him and his wife last year. They are complete Anglophiles, and their kitchen is full of English "delicacies" (Branston, tea, crumpets). They are convinced that we are so much more polite and considerate than they are - when they're over here my heart is in my mouth in case anyone proves it's not true!

Jalima Thu 30-Jun-16 19:22:08

but we do do a good queue

Love it! grin

silverlining I put a link to that old Freddie Frinton film on another thread the other day, DN had to send to Germany for a copy many years ago for DB and DSL, they had been shown it when they were in Germany visiting German friends.
I think it's called 'Dinner for One
(As long as they don't think we all live like that!)

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 19:18:10

That is so lovely!

Thank you for the link. smile

harrigran Thu 30-Jun-16 19:07:48

The Germans do love us, my sister and ten friends had a garden party for the Queen's birthday. All the food was typically British and they dressed in red, white and blue. Her friends are genuinely lovely people.
I will be so happy if they continue to trade with us because everything from my car down to the paper napkins in the kitchen are German, even the kitchen is German and shipped into the UK smile

petra Thu 30-Jun-16 13:25:35

minimo Thanks for the link. Most of us know that the whole world loves us. That's one of the things that makes me proud to be British.

silverlining48 Thu 30-Jun-16 11:50:26

From my first visit to Germany in the early 60's I found that Germans loved us and everything about us, yes it's true. They know more about our royal family than we do and think we are 'gentlemen' always helpful and polite..well perhaps that's not accurate always, but we do a good queue.
Every New Year's Eve on every channel they show an old British film which has them in stitches and are Astonished when I say we don't know it here, or if we did, it's long forgotten.

Teetime Thu 30-Jun-16 11:42:22

Reminds me of the Fawlty Towers episode- don't mention the *

minimo Thu 30-Jun-16 11:36:22

This tickled me. I know it's still political and yes we need to have some new threads BUT this is at least very positive and it made me giggle. grin www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36663781 #WeLoveUKBecause