Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should expats have the right to vote?

(85 Posts)
granjura Fri 01-Jul-16 12:29:37

Expats can vote in the UK for up to 15 years after their move abroad. Is that fair? Should people who have made a clear choice to live abroad, say after 5 years- have the right to vote when they will NOT have to live with the consequences of their choice?

What do you think?

All my life in the UK, I was allowed to vote in Switzerland on the 1000s of referendums (I know sp!) and elections- but I never did. A) because when you don't live in a country you can't really grasp all the implications and B/ because as said above, I would not have had to live with the consequences- as I had NO intention whatsoever of ever going back.

I voted this time as we have children and grand-children back in the UK, and intend to go back at some point in the future.

Mamie Fri 01-Jul-16 16:31:45

I am confused by your "expats" GJ. Obviously "expats" work for UK or multinational companies and are likely to have to move around, why would they vote for Brexit? My DD has friends working in Switzerland and OH worked there quite a lot. All very outward looking, internationally minded people, as I recall. Who on earth do they work for, that they would want to limit freedom of movement?

obieone Fri 01-Jul-16 16:38:22

No. 5 year limit.

Christinefrance Fri 01-Jul-16 16:44:51

Yes really Mamie - eight weeks really! !
Being distanced from what happens on a daily basis limits understanding of the situation.
Joelsnan Being interested and concerned does not constitute interference and think I said I did not feel informed enough to vote.
Medical care is going to be a big issue for expats, let's hope a reciprocal agreement is reached.

granjura Fri 01-Jul-16 16:45:37

Sorry Mamie, didn't make myself clear. What I meant is that we would have to pay for the full treatment out of our pocket- (not have private health care insurance like Bupa or the like- which we couldn't have either due to pre-existing cond).

Those expats who voted OUT seem to have settled here permanently, teachers, artisans, or business people- who have no intention to go back.

As you say, we have our children and grand-children in the UK, as well as many friends and family, watch uk tv and read British Press, and return very regularly, have a flat there even and do intend to go back one day.

I put the question here as those expats who voted OUT and now watch the UK fall apart with glee- making money on the way (yes the Swiss Franc will go a lot further when they next go to UK on hols- some are buying property in UK too as investment) really upset me with their 'I'm alright Jack attitude'.

Mamie Fri 01-Jul-16 16:52:48

ChristineFrance I was talking about me! I am in the UK on one of my eight weeks of childcare right now.
The "really?" was aimed at people who were suggesting that I couldn't understand life in the UK anymore. smile
Ah GJ so they are migrants, not expats. I still find it amazing, but I knew of a few people round us who voted out. Turkeys and Christmas spring to mind.

Joelsnan Fri 01-Jul-16 16:53:17

Mamie whenever have we not had freedom of movement? People have always moved around the world, Maybe they understand this concept and recognise other more pertinent issues that informed their decisions.

Mamie Fri 01-Jul-16 16:58:34

Well If there has always been freedom of movement there would be no point in trying to limit immigration, would there?

Christinefrance Fri 01-Jul-16 17:13:48

Sorry Mamie good luck with the child care. Fortunately my grandchildren are grown up although of course I still worry about them.
It's a worrying time at present and it's going to take a while for things to get sorted. I'm going to put it at the back of my mind and enjoy the summer and family visits. Good old head in the sand that's me.

granjura Fri 01-Jul-16 17:38:47

Joelsnan- I remember those days clearly actually. The only way I could come to work in London, in 1970- was for the firm that was going to employ me, to make the case for having to employ a foreigner and not a local, and apply and pay for the work permit for me. I am the only person I know in my country who had this privilege- and it was only because I happened to know the right people, at the right time. All the others who went to UK at that time, only had the choice of Au Pair, or a very expensive language school.

At the time of Apartheid, in 1947- my husband's family were on of the very few who were able to escape this dreadful and cruel system- because one grand-father was British.

granjura Fri 01-Jul-16 17:40:24

Many Swiss relatives moved to USA and Australia- at the time because they were invited to do so because they were needed there. And so on.

Welshwife Fri 01-Jul-16 17:44:28

Joelsnan yes we could move around but we did not get automatic rights to live in the EU. A non EU national has a limit of six months a year unless they have a carte de Sejour which needs to be renewed every ten years. There was no reciprocal health care either - we were quoted the€4K a year too Mamie when we enquiried but I think it would be more expensive now.
I think many people do not understand the benefits of being a member of the EU and just take things for granted. This will have a huge impact on thousands of people's lives. The ones who have lived and earned a living in France will be in an entirely different position. It may also be that those of us that pay Social Charges with our tax payments may have other rights - maybe we can elect to pay a bit more - but none of us KNOW for sure and so cannot make any form decisions at all.People with holidays to the RU already booked will be the first to notice a difference with the currency rates. Before moving out of the UK there was no message that maybe our membership of the EU was not binding - a treaty was signed and in effect a promise given which is what many people believed - and now that promise is to be broken - maybe we should all sue for loss of human rights!!!

ninathenana Fri 01-Jul-16 17:44:45

Can ask again please.....
Do overseas residents have to pay to register their UK vote or is it unique to Canada and possibly USA ? Just curious as I was surprised to hear my nephew had to pay

Mamie Fri 01-Jul-16 17:47:56

No we didn't have to pay. Registered via the local council where we lived last in the UK.

granjura Fri 01-Jul-16 17:58:12

To have healthcare insurance here if the reciprocal agreements were cancelled, would cost us a minimum of £400 a month for the 2 of us (+ 10 % of total, + the first £1000 a year to be paid by ourselves too).

Welshwife Fri 01-Jul-16 18:04:08

No payment from within the EU.

Lillie Fri 01-Jul-16 18:09:31

If I were considering moving abroad I would certainly factor in the cost of healthcare insurance and the fluctuations in the exchange rate. Likewise I would probably expect not to be able to vote back home after a few years, I would understand that I couldn't just pick and choose once I had chosen to leave.

TriciaF Fri 01-Jul-16 18:09:43

In France I think we would be able to join the french health system but would have to pay something. Now, as pensioners, the UK pay 70% of our health costs for most things - we need to pay into an insurance policy for the remaining costs.
To join the french system you pay 8% of your income pa above a certain allowance, I think about 10,000€ per person is allowed before assessing.

granjura Fri 01-Jul-16 18:22:13

Lillie- I understand what you are saying. And of course people have to plan for some fluctuations- but it's hard to imagine one could lose 50% of income to such.

And also you plan with the knowledge of the system you live in, surely. No-one could imagine 9 years ago- that the UK would choose to leave the EU- couly you, really? Be fair.

Friends from Scotland had nearly bought a house in France to retire to recently- and are planning on cancelling the purchase and their plans, as it would all be too tight for them now. And another young friend who has gone through the most horrendous family tragedy recently, has just lost the sale of her French house due to Brexit too.

I can see why people in the UK would think 'ah, they chose to move out- so they can lump it now' - green eyed monster and all that- but some circumstances were just impossible to imagine and planned for. We were lucky to be able to keep a small property in the UK, just in case. Lucky too that if we did decide to go back, our currency is so high that the exchange rate would cover all our losses + a bit more hopefully. Very lucky indeed- although in the meantime, Brexit will it us even harder than most. I take full responsibility for our decision.

But if 1000s of expats have to move back to UK, broke and with no savings left and health problems - they will need financial support, expensive health care and housing. The UK won't be able to refuse their return, as UK nationals.

Lillie Fri 01-Jul-16 19:41:56

I can see how worrying things might now be for retiree expats living off their savings, and I do agree the UK should support them where necessary if they return home to reside. I think you were very sensible gj to keep a property in the UK but I do think some people just wanted a cheaper property and lifestyle abroad without thinking about the potential pitfalls.

Welshwife Fri 01-Jul-16 20:38:41

Many people in fact have no property and are renting. As you are older it becomes increasingly difficult to manage two homes both financially and practically. We kept a second home for many years and only sold it about four years ago. The main reason was that wherever we were there was always a lot of jobs to do and to rent one of the properties had tax implications.

Of course we were not so cavalier as to move without working out the facts and costs and we would have no problem without this Brexit - depending on the agreement reached will be the fate of many an expats.

granjura Fri 01-Jul-16 21:18:38

Agreed Welshwife- some people were perhaps a bit reckless and were led by tv programmes like 'House in the Sun' and the like and calculated they just could make it.

When we bought the house here 9 years ago, the £ pound was 2.50- and today it is 1.29- and recently 1.18. That is a humongous drop few could survive- add to this a large monthly bill for health care insurance if EU health agreements are dropped, and then- as this year for me. have to pay 10% of a knee replacement - then many would find themselves up the creek without a paddle- and this without being reckless.

granjura Fri 01-Jul-16 21:40:52

WelshWife, actually you surprise me. I don't know any expats in France, Spain or Italy who rent.

Christinefrance Fri 01-Jul-16 21:48:29

As everywhere there are people who do not plan financially or practically for their future. However think the circumstances of the Brexit could not have been anticipated by anyone.

Seems a bit harsh to be so critical of people who just wanted a different life and maybe a bit of an adventure.

Tegan Fri 01-Jul-16 22:01:10

Agree with that. I feel that more thought should have been given to people whose lives have been affected by this. A friend of mine voted leave even though he has a holiday home in France and his partner owns a house and lives there. I doubt if he considered the implications of voting out.

varian Fri 01-Jul-16 22:05:16

In the EU referendum I think akl UK citizens living in the EU should have been entitled to vote as it will affect them.

In the same way all Scots living in other parts of the UK should have been allowed to vote in the 2014 Scottish referendum, but we were disenfranchised although it would have affected us very much, I do realise it might have been difficult to agree who was eligible, but not impossible.