Gransnet forums

News & politics

An essay on the fate of empires

(33 Posts)
thatbags Tue 05-Jul-16 09:27:52

The essay is historical but also political (in a non-emotional way) in outlook.

I have been reading the twenty-six page essay, The Fate of Empires and Search for Survival by Sir John Glubb. I found it very interesting. Summary below to whet your interest. If anyone would like to read it, I believe I can email you a pdf copy (you'd have to PM me an emal addy; I don't think I can post a pdf link on GN). If my memory serves, the essay was written in the 1970s.

Summary
As numerous points of interest have arisen
in the course of this essay, I close with a brief summary, to refresh the reader’s mind.
(a) We do not learn from history because our studies are brief and prejudiced.
(b) In a surprising manner, 250 years emerges as the average length of national greatness.
(c) This average has not varied for 3,000 years. Does it represent ten generations?
(d) The stages of the rise and fall of great nations seem to be:
The Age of Pioneers (outburst) The Age of Conquests
The Age of Commerce
The Age of Affluence
The Age of Intellect
The Age of Decadence.
(e) Decadence is marked by:
Defensiveness
Pessimism
Materialism
Frivolity
An influx of foreigners
The Welfare State
A weakening of religion.
(f) Decadence is due to:
Too long a period of wealth and power Selfishness
Love of money
The loss of a sense of duty.
(g) The life histories of great states are
amazingly similar, and are due to internal factors.
(h) Their falls are diverse, because they are largely the result of external causes.
(i) History should be taught as the history of the human race, though of course with emphasis on the history of the student’s own country.

MaizieD Wed 04-May-22 12:35:24

Reported

mary5666 Sun 25-Feb-24 11:33:32

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Grandmabatty Sun 25-Feb-24 11:38:15

Reported.

Grantanow Tue 27-Feb-24 10:27:33

Yes. I recall Glubb Pasha. He was sacked by the then King of Jordan.

Jaberwok Tue 27-Feb-24 17:49:48

I went to school with Glubb Pashas daughter Naomi. She was a lovely girl whom the Glubbs, along with another boy, not sure if it was her natural brother, adopted from an orphanage. We lost touch after school, and I was sad to learn that Naomi died in a hospice some years ago. Yes King Hussain expelled General Glubb from Jordan in the 1950's after taking the throne of Jordan aged 17.

flappergirl Tue 27-Feb-24 20:30:21

absent

I am somewhat uncertain about what constituted a welfare state in the Roman and Persian empires, for example, but am prepared to be told.

The Romans had something called grain relief whereby wheat was distributed to the poor at either below market value or free depending on which Emperor was ruling at the time. Later, bread, olives and pork were included in the programme.

They also had something called the Alimenta which was a scheme for poor or orphaned children in Italy to receive free education, food and in some cases cash payments.

These answers are a very brief summary as I didn't want to write an essay!

I have little to know knowledge of the Persian Empire I'm afraid so can't answer that.

sofa344 Fri 29-Mar-24 14:08:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.