Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oscar Pistorius sentenced for murder

(107 Posts)
Juggernaut Wed 06-Jul-16 10:28:42

He's a murderer, who has been given a ridiculously short term of imprisonment.
Reeva's family must be devastated all over again, I feel so much sympathy for them, is this truly all that their daughter was worth?
He's pulled the wool over everyone's eyes, there didn't seem to me to be any sympathy for Reeva or her family, but a lot of self pity.
If he'd been 'Joe Bloggs' you can guarantee the sentence would have been a lot more!

breeze Wed 06-Jul-16 10:27:46

Disgusted. My sympathies are with her parents and family. Not only have their lost their young, beautiful daughter/relative, under violent circumstances; but now they haven't got the closure they need as justice has not been done. From the reports during the first trial, he is a bad tempered bully but as is 'type' with that kind of bully, turned into a snivelling coward once confronted and tried to save his own skin. The 'situation' in SA has changed enormously since the end of apartheid, but it's like a 'new' country and a lot to be learned. Or perhaps, but I would hope not, sympathy for his disability, that didn't stop him belting along and winning races. Pathetic and just down right wrong. My heart goes out to Reeva's parents. From day one they knew no one in 'their right mind' would shoot through a bathroom door knowing their girlfriend was in the house and could be behind it. It never did add up. He was drinking, lost his temper, shot her. 6 years. Disgraceful.

glenda Wed 06-Jul-16 10:14:22

Interesting to hear Gononsuch, but I wonder whether his fame had anything to do with it. We can, of course, only wonder.

DaphneBroon Wed 06-Jul-16 10:11:43

There is some justice, but 6 years is strange sentence for MURDER.
The main thing for me is that this "golden boy" athlete has been shown up for what he is.
Sadly it also tells us a lot about life in S Africa today.

Gononsuch Wed 06-Jul-16 10:09:39

If you're a white man and you murder a white women, you get 6 years. If you're a white man and you murder a black women you get a job in government. That' what SA is like.

Elegran Wed 06-Jul-16 10:06:47

The judge spent a long time summing up and balancing all the factors.

glenda Wed 06-Jul-16 10:01:59

He's finally been sentenced, but he only received six years in prison! Is anyone else rather put out by this? Seems to make light of his crime completely.