Gransnet forums

News & politics

Decisions based on deceit and no government planning for aftermath

(10 Posts)
Gracesgran Wed 06-Jul-16 13:17:16

This seems to be the view of the Chilcot report. I wonder if we will ever have a such committed on the EU Referendum 2016 and what their report would say.

varian Wed 06-Jul-16 13:27:29

Misinformation used to justify action, expert advice ignored, total failure to plan for the aftermath - those in power are not the ones to suffer.

The only party to vote against the Iraq war and warning of the consequences was the Liberal Democrats.

It is heartbreaking to see how little our politicians learned.

Tegan Wed 06-Jul-16 14:00:12

Just got in, turned the news on and hearing what was said we both agreed that it could have been someone talking about the referendum.

Gracesgran Wed 06-Jul-16 23:10:57

I wonder if there will ever be an enquiry about the referendum? I suppose if we manage to turn things round then possibly not. Otherwise ...

durhamjen Wed 06-Jul-16 23:22:13

Good to see Corbyn apologising for his party's part in the Iraq war. He was against it, too, varian.

M0nica Thu 07-Jul-16 19:39:40

Credit to Charles Kennedy and Robin Cook who both stood so resolutely against the Iraq War. How tragic that neither has lived to see themselves vindicated.

I noticed that the one person who stood out against T Blair and warned of the problems was the head of MI5, Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller. All his male cronies just sycophantly went along with him, including the head of MI6.

varian Thu 07-Jul-16 19:46:13

Not just Charles Kennedy but the entire Liberal Democratic party voted against the Iraq war.

durhamjen Thu 07-Jul-16 20:46:04

I was going to say not all his male cronies, but I do not suppose Corbyn was ever a crony of Blair.

M0nica Thu 07-Jul-16 21:52:52

Jeremy Corbyn certainly wasn't part of the Downing Street inner circlegrin

Charles Kennedy was the leader of the Liberal Democrats and from the beginning he opposed the war and it was his vocal and continual opposition that eventually convinced those in the Liberal party who were less sure about opposing the Iraq war that they should do so. He was put under considerable pressure and was criticised by many for his stance but had the moral courage to hold his ground.

Granny23 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:17:59

Yes, all credit to Charles Kennedy, his fellow Liberals, Robin Cook and Jeremy Corbyn for their opposition to the war, not forgetting the SNP under the Leadership of Alex Salmond. Those opposed were called traitors, unpatriotic and worse, but once the Conservatives backed the Labour Government en masse there was no turning back from the brink.