Gransnet forums

News & politics

Could Labour 'split'. Tom Watson calls off talks.

(1001 Posts)
POGS Sat 09-Jul-16 11:42:10

It is being reported Labour Deputy Leader Tom Watson has called off 'talks's with the Unions/Len McCluskey over Jeremy Corbyns future and refusal to 'stand down'. He is being reported as saying 'There is no realistic prospect of reaching a compromise'

Obvious signs have been there , (noted from the beginning of Corbyn becoming leader for political anoraks) but is this perhaps a challenge that 'if' it does happen might just 'split' Labour into the Parliamentary Labour Party and another group finally calling themselves 'Momentum' as an official opposition party?

There have been a few voices suggesting a Labour Leadership challenge could happen on Monday 'maybe' they are correct.

Interesting to watch.

daphnedill Wed 27-Jul-16 11:27:00

Shirley Williams is a pacifist, although she believes in the concept of a 'just war', but I wouldn't say she avoids confrontations.

Gracesgran Wed 27-Jul-16 11:25:05

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 11:12:57

Annie you seem to have no sense of how you may be turning people off voting Labour ever again. Everything is not black and white for most people and these digs are not the sort of thing some would want to be associated with.

I do appreciate that the only Labour voter you recognise is a lifetime member of the party but it is not the only voter a Labour Party would need to get into government.

daphnedill Wed 27-Jul-16 11:24:51

@obieone

I don't understand your point about FullFact and Joseph Rowntree.

Joseph Rowntree was a Quaker, who are pacifists.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 11:22:40

obieone, I am a pacifist, I don't think anyone can say I avoid confrontation grin

I disagree that pacifists avoid confrontation - excluding Corbyn who does- we have a strong Quaker community here, they are pacifists, during the war there were pacifists who were on the front line in battles, they drove ambulances , comforted the dying , they wouldn't take up arms. Difficult subject really, these people were not cowards yet if everyone shared their views what would have happened in the wars

I think it is a personal thing obieone

Devorgilla Wed 27-Jul-16 11:14:50

A good post indeed Eloethan. If Blair had not 'run with the hares and hunted with the hounds' and therefore not got into Government do you think we would still have an NHS today? Money was poured into both the NHS and Education during his time in office. That would not have happened under a Tory Government unless it made masses of money for them and we are already seeing the effects of a Tory Government in both those areas today. If we do not get into Government soon then we are in danger of losing the Health Service and education as we knew it. I worked in education in London during both Thatcher's time and Blair's and inspected a great many schools in the wider London area and saw firsthand them being transformed from concrete jungles into real places of learning under Blair. Yes, like you, I would have preferred a more pure way of doing it but we all have to compromise and do what is best for the majority. If we do not get into power then we are looking at a long term one party state with a mandate to do what they like.
I dislike intensely the political dynasties we have today and the 'Westminster' bubble. It makes a mockery of the best person for the job but. sadly, they all seem to indulge in it. I want a return to non-career politicians coming into the House but I do not see JC delivering that. Perhaps all politicians are career motivated and therefore have to play to the tune of the faction that funds them. You can be Murdoch funded or Union funded but if you are not your own person once you get there you are as trapped as the rest of us.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 11:12:57

Owen Smith is making a speech , audience of all ages not of selected age

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 11:11:54

in this instance.

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 11:11:19

I think the character of a person may dictate their beliefs, not the other way around.

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 11:07:16

pacifists - are people "pacifists" because they cant or dont want to deal with confrontation in any way?
They try and talk it out but it doesn't work.

If JC were to be attacked, would he flee?

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 11:01:50

If anyone wants to start googling and rooting around about FullFact and JoshephRowntree I wouldn't mind.
Something doesnt sit right with me about those.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 10:26:12

Yes Bercow is just one person as is the man behind vixpoliticalonline

trisher Wed 27-Jul-16 10:25:52

Beammeupscottie Neither do I.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 10:24:00

I know MidWalesMike , know where he lives, and his bestest friend Oliver , grin

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 10:18:25

The Bercow letter was the Bercow letter, even though the link was from voxpolitical.
Of course, Bercow is just one person as well, although he is the law in the Commons.

Ican give you a link from Voxpolitical, scottie!

Beammeupscottie Wed 27-Jul-16 10:09:56

Owen Smith says Jeremy Corbyn doesn't understand patriotism and national identity. Discuss.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 10:00:47

I will send you a signed copy Gonosuch , just post your full name and address please

Gononsuch Wed 27-Jul-16 09:56:04

This is what happens when your retired with no worries what so ever, just find things to do.

Be care full I might read your book shock

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 09:51:52

Gonosuch , you found out the truth about me , gosh.

Googling to find details of posters , how sick

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 09:49:15

.grumppa voice of the sane, John didn't get a bad press, MidWalesMike hadn't left school perhaps

Gononsuch Wed 27-Jul-16 09:48:41

Anniebach

The way you're talking about Corbyn I started to think that you might be one of his wives, so I googled you and I found out that you might be a author, so I've got a lot more respect for you, but leave Corbyn alone, he will be their until he decides to leave smile

If anyone else is reading this please try googleing some of the names you see, it is a surprise, apart from the one that wants to go flying in a spacecraft, that is just dreaming. hmm

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 09:45:53

Just learned vixpoliticalonline is the opinion of one man Mike Sivier, he is also known Twitter as MidWalesMike, interesting

So when or if we read a link to vovpolitical we are reading the opinions of MidWalesMike, the opinions of one man,

For me my opinions are as valid as his

grumppa Wed 27-Jul-16 09:41:58

I don't recall John Smith getting such a bad press.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 09:33:12

Si no one should enter a private office without permission , one would think Corbyn and MacDonald knew this , they want to run the country but don't know it wrong to enter an office without permission, oh deary me

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 09:07:10

i0.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/160727-Bercow-letter.jpg

About Seema Malhotra, and the staff member going into her office.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 08:51:37

Sorry but rubbish, the press hasn't even started attacks in Corbyn yet , have no need to .

Sorry Jen but your link is just a momentum load of rubbish. Everyone in the party is to blame for the 16 point lead to the Tories but not Corbyn . Not because the press fear Corbyn but the labour MP's are to blame

Did the labour MP's lock Jezza in a cupboard during the Brexit campaign, did the tv companies refuse to all poor old Jezza air time

I hope May does call a snap election then we can have a new thread blaming everyone for the humiliating defeat of the Labour Party , and carry on worshiping at the shrine of Jezza

Labour will lose the next election because Corbyn is useless as a leader

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion