Gransnet forums

News & politics

The New Cabinet

(364 Posts)
Gracesgran Wed 13-Jul-16 19:44:20

GO has resigned from the government
Philip Hammond appointed Chancellor

durhamjen Sun 28-Aug-16 17:40:33

kittysjones.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/two-way-mirrors-hidden-observers-welcome-to-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-laboratory/

Anyone else think there is something decidedly unethical about this?

durhamjen Tue 23-Aug-16 23:28:56

Corbyn going to promise to renationalise the NHS, and buy back PFIs.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/23/jeremy-corbyn-promise-renationalise-nhs-labour-private-end

durhamjen Tue 23-Aug-16 22:05:12

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/22/secret-documents-reveal-official-concerns-over-seven-day-nhs-plans

The government knows that a seven day NHS is not possible on the money it puts in to it.

durhamjen Tue 23-Aug-16 22:02:10

webmail.amnesty.org.uk/_act/link.php?mId=J9187223391817136158428806363218&tId=219381209&subjId=90081

Liz Truss still appears to want to get rid of the Human Rights Act.

durhamjen Sat 20-Aug-16 21:09:51

www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2016/aug/20/work-pensions-disability-claim-call-handler-benefits-dwp

I hope whoever is responsible for this in the cabinet sorts it out.
Wouldn't fancy being a call handler here.
This could also be Cameron's legacy, messing up the DWP so much that it benefits nobody. But that's okay, because nobody in the government would ever have to work on the front line, or go through this demeaning procedure, more's the pity.

durhamjen Mon 15-Aug-16 21:57:53

www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/tommy-greene/junior-doctors-fight-on-in-court-but-where-is-theresa-may

Old new cabinet.
Junior doctors are taking Hunt to court next month - something else I thought important enough to help crowdfund.

durhamjen Fri 05-Aug-16 18:11:05

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/petition-to-stop-the-sell-off-and-decimation-of-children-s-health-services-in-brighton-1

From this article, about the NHS in Brighton and Hove.

nhap.org/the-friday-surgery-17/

I'd love HMRC to get their hands on Branson.

Jalima Fri 29-Jul-16 20:18:22

Especially as Spain had one of the largest Empires in the world

Jalima Fri 29-Jul-16 20:17:37

I must have missed that MargaretX

I wonder why some countries allow dual nationality and others do not.
It seems to be quite protectionist.

Mamie Fri 29-Jul-16 19:47:32

Totally agree Margaret.
I don't think the children can ever be British though. If you are Spanish (and they were born in Spain) you can only have one nationality.

Jalima Fri 29-Jul-16 19:46:59

We were told by the British Consolate that DD1(born in the UK) that dual is not possible
MargaretX excuse me if I am a bit confused here, but is the refusal of dual nationality the ruling of the UK or the country of which she has nationality?

If it is the UK then some of the rules did change not that long ago; someone with a British father used to be granted British nationality, but not if the mother was British; however that has changed now. I am not sure if British nationality can be granted if a child was born in the UK and has a British grandparent?

MargaretX Fri 29-Jul-16 19:37:34

Yes I'm sorry for that but he will be safer and the children will be Spanish and can decide for themslves anyway.
We were told by the British Consolate that DD1(born in the UK) that dual is not possible, although she has a German father, as she has to be 18 to make this decision for herself.

It is easier now but when she went to Berlin with the school before the wall came down, she had to get out of the coach and walk through Check Point Charlie on her own. She finally became German a few years ago and now has both.

Mamie we never wanted Brexit, we know how valuable Europe is
especially in this insecure world.

Mamie Fri 29-Jul-16 17:44:12

I would do it MargaretX. I have no problems with becoming French at all as I genuinely feel as much a part of this country as England. The huge amount of paperwork needed is daunting, but not enough to put me off. I just want to wait a bit and see what happens. Dual nationality is fine in France but not for our son in Spain. I think he will go for it though, his wife and children are Spanish.
Just wish I could still be a citizen of Europe!

MargaretX Fri 29-Jul-16 17:27:02

Sorry about that I didn't realise it had all been chewed over already.

MargaretX Fri 29-Jul-16 17:18:26

What about dual nationality? Isn't that an option? A Scottish friend married to a German told me yesterday she has applied for German nationality. I have had dual nationality for years DH applied as soon as I arrived in Germany.

It is an emotional thing and some people feel so strongly that they can't do it. That same friend told me her son and Dil who work in London have said the would never take British nationality but always get Visas. There is an age difference of course. When young you feel you can move anywhere.

Mamie Fri 29-Jul-16 14:32:49

I am not sure that they have recovered from the last crash Jess. I always have a look when we are there in winter and prices still seem low. Ours have never really recovered in France either and most houses round here seem to take a couple of years to sell. I suppose the only thing that might help would be if the pound is low against the euro people would get more money to move back.

JessM Fri 29-Jul-16 12:52:52

Would cause a major crash of property prices in some parts of Spain if all UK nationals ejected. Also major problems in parts of the UK economy.

durhamjen Thu 28-Jul-16 23:12:47

They just think they do, NOtTooOld.
(Your name takes much longer with my left hand, so if it ever looks as though I am shouting at you, I am not)

Jalima Thu 28-Jul-16 20:55:20

The trouble is, we will all want to go there.
It could get a bit over-crowded

What's the official language of the new island
Esperanto?!

NotTooOld Thu 28-Jul-16 20:52:35

Sark, but it's not uninhabited and the Barclays don't control it - ask any Sarkee!

durhamjen Thu 28-Jul-16 20:41:24

An uninhabited channel island, perhaps. What's the one that the Barclay twins control? I'm sure they would probably sell it for a few squillions.

Jalima Thu 28-Jul-16 20:12:03

Is there a handy uninhabited island somewhere in between?
Somewhere with a perfect climate, fresh water, good soil .....

durhamjen Thu 28-Jul-16 20:09:58

Strangely enough, both my sons first wives were born in England.
It would be interesting wouldn't it, if Spain told the English to go home and the UK told the Spanish to go home.
Where would they all live?

Jalima Thu 28-Jul-16 19:56:36

By the way, my son's wife is Spanish. I can't imagine both countries will consider doing swaps, can you?
I am assuming you don't mean that your British son should swap his wife for an English one who is at present married to a Spaniard?
shock
(ps as J McE said, 'you can't be serious', no I'm not)

durhamjen Thu 28-Jul-16 19:50:55

Just pointing out that you are following me round being petty. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Do you actually have any views on the topic?