Gransnet forums

News & politics

The baby boomers will go down as the worst, most selfish generation in history.

(80 Posts)
AllYoungPeople Wed 20-Jul-16 01:50:44

You stole our free education, while increasing NHS and pension spending.

You NIMBYs stopped housebuilding and left a whole generation unable to afford their own home.

Now you Brexit us, stealing what we had left for the future.

You will go down as the worst, most selfish generation in history. Destroyed the future for the young to cling on to your selfish idiocy.

sunseeker Wed 20-Jul-16 07:48:15

Morning AYP (or probably afternoon by the time you get out of bed). Wanted to let you know today is Take your bulls**t elsewhere day.

nigglynellie Wed 20-Jul-16 08:09:04

Oh dear! Wicked old us, well yes, for encouraging a generation that have been so spoonfed that the only thing they seem good at is whining about how badly done by they are. Other generations have had real struggles including world wars to cope with and curiously managed without blaming their parents generation for their perceived woes. Try growing up!

Devorgilla Wed 20-Jul-16 10:12:55

Yes, we had free education up to University if your family was able to do without your wages. Many couldn't. I was the only one out of four to go to University and the first in the family. My eldest sister paid her own way through as a mature student. The country needed to replace the talents in the professions of the generation lost in the war. We gave back to the country in spadefuls by becoming the teachers (lowest paid of all the professionals), social workers, doctors in the embryonic NHS etc. If we vote for free University education are you prepared to give up three years of your career to bail out a struggling Education/NHS/Social Care system before pursuing a more lucrative career of your choice? What is the problem with increasing NHS spending? You may need it one day. Ditto pensions. The Government didn't come knocking on my door saying they were going to give me a massive pension. We had to fight every inch of the way, going on strike to get it.
I have some sympathy on the housing but most people of our generation never in a million years expected house prices to rise as they did. That was down to speculators and not to ordinary people who bought, struggled to keep and still live in the home they bought.
I didn't Brexit you. I voted to remain so I stole no future from you.
If you study history I think you will find there are generations far more selfish than ours where working people were herded together in unsafe housing and work conditions for a pittance with their job and housing security at the whim of their employer or landowner.
If you feel as aggrieved as you sound I hope you have joined and are active in a political party and actually vote as that is one of the key ways to change things. Don't though be lulled into thinking that penalising the pensioner is the way forward. One day you will be that old and will want the benefits we have. Never give up a right gained for the benefit of all. It really will be too expensive to get back.
Be angry about your plight by all means but make it a positive anger and make sure the changes you want are not short term ones that do away with rights you may one day want yourself.

trisher Wed 20-Jul-16 10:29:41

You are absolutely right about free education, the problem is we have been completely conned by politicians. The current belief is that the loans system is ultimately going to cost more than giving grants to poorer students ever would have. It was introduced with the idea of flogging off the debt and using the money to give tax cuts. It isn't going to happen the debt is toxic and costs more to administrate than forecast. A complete mess.
Housing you are probably right as well.
I'm surprised you haven't included transport costs, my bus pass probably means you are paying more for your journey.
Start a revolution I'll join you on the barricades.

Gracesgran Wed 20-Jul-16 11:04:44

Goodness, that is one very cross person who doesn't seem to want to take any responsibility for his/her own life.

A member of Generation Snowflake perhaps smile

Shouldn't this be reported as it is the second thread I have seen with the copied and pasted OP. The 'T' word comes to mind.

Gracesgran Wed 20-Jul-16 11:05:48

Perhaps it's the DM wanting another GNet story grin

nigglynellie Wed 20-Jul-16 11:47:49

How on earth can an individual group steal anything from a future generation?! I don't think we all sat around in groups plotting the financial downfall of our grandchildren with a wicked grin on our faces! Too busy making our way in a very uncertain world without the bank of mum and dad or anyone else come to that! None of us could possibly have foreseen house prices going the way they have, none of us stopped house building over the years, governments did that, Labour as well as Tory. Owing to the absence of a crystal ball none of us could possibly have foreseen anything that has occurred over the past 40 years. Most of us did however, work hard, often in jobs we hated, provided our children with a decent home, help where we could with education, outings, holidays where possible, and were responsible loving parents and grandparents, mindful of our own parents, not flipping criticising them and calling the names! So don't you dare say that we are the worse most selfish generation in history! for a start you need at least some knowledge of history, and for another it will be interesting to see what sort of parents and grandparents you turn out to be, always supposing you ever manage to grow up enough to take responsibility for such a task!

nanasam Wed 20-Jul-16 11:51:30

Go back to bed, AYP!

Charleygirl Wed 20-Jul-16 12:02:31

nanasam it is far too early for this fellow to surface- 2pm would be closer to the mark.

I voted Remain, did you bother to vote? The polling stations I admit would be open too early for you but they were open until 10pm so you could have staggered out of the pub to vote- that is if you are even on the electoral roll system.

A very good job that I am not your mother!

Jalima Wed 20-Jul-16 12:05:18

Good morning.

Perhaps more young people should have got their arses backsides out of bed to vote.

Wouldn't it have been nice to have had so much more to spend indulging ourselves when we were young on foreign holidays, football trips, gap years etc etc etc, instead of spending it on trying to keep a roof over the heads of our DC and DGC and feed and clothe them and see them through their education.

Gen Y and the ones that follow them - the most selfish, me, me, me generations of all.

Jalima Wed 20-Jul-16 12:06:53

ps Gnetters, you are probably right about it being a DM reporter looking for material.

harrigran Wed 20-Jul-16 12:35:56

AYP, what an ungrateful little s**t you are. I hope you fail all you exams and spend eternity mucking out pigstys. You are probably not worthy of the job but I will give you the benefit of the doubt angry

harrigran Wed 20-Jul-16 12:38:19

We will know if it is the DM because they will not be able to resist printing some of the replies.

Joelsnan Wed 20-Jul-16 12:49:02

It could be any of the media sources which are now populated by ill educated juvenile mentality columnists intent on sxxx stirring, whose spelling and grammar is no better than year 5 student and who could not research and evidence their own birth.

Sorry I have lost faith in all media to report truthfully, unbiased and with any integrity.

MaizieD Wed 20-Jul-16 13:00:02

I have to say I have a very sneaking sympathy for the OP's feelings (which I have seen expressed many, many times over tha past few years). It was our generation that voted in the Thatcher government which broke the consensus that held that a State should serve its citizens.

I have never voted Conservative and I voted Remain so I'd like to be left out of this hatefest please.

FarNorth Wed 20-Jul-16 13:27:21

I have never voted Conservative but I remember Maggie Thatcher explaining how simple it would be to run the country to benefit everyone. She sounded very sensible.
Possibly many people who did vote Conservative were horrified by what happened next.

(Are you up yet, AYP? I've finished my shift at work of 4am-11am, btw.)

DaphneBroon Wed 20-Jul-16 13:34:04

MaizieD how can you possibly sympathise even sneakily with this whingeing entitled adolescent?

nigglynellie Wed 20-Jul-16 13:39:45

The Thatcher government was born out of the complete incompetence of the then Labour government, leading to the winter of discontent when even the dead couldn't be buried owing to the iron gripe of the trade unions and the almost continuous strikes. A lot of companies went to the wall leading to redundancies and bankruptcies including our own business. Together with a mortgage, two young children and insurmountable debt, (no bank of mum and dad! no bank at all!) we, like many others in the country were crying out in desperation for someone to do something, and someone did!

fiorentina51 Wed 20-Jul-16 13:40:25

Was it our generation who voted in Thatcher? Shouldn't we be blaming our parents? Most of them were still alive and kicking 30 odd years ago.

nigglynellie Wed 20-Jul-16 14:13:59

I was thanking mine!

Charleygirl Wed 20-Jul-16 14:43:40

Both of mine died that year before they could vote

NanaandGrampy Wed 20-Jul-16 15:04:53

We didn't 'steal' your free education OP . Whoever gave you the idea that you are owed a free anything?

I didn't get much of an education at all. My parents couldn't afford to let me stay in school , so I went back in my 30's and got my first degree. I paid my way with 5 part time jobs , with 2 small children and a house to look after. I wrote most of my essays at midnight. I lasted 3 years on no more than 4 hours sleep a night. So what makes you think you're owed a free ride?

We didn't stop house building. We slaved and saved and earn our way to where we are - you might consider trying it instead of whining 'poor me'.

Yes I voted to leave the EU . And furthermore I don't regret it for an instant. We all voted as our conscience dictated . Maybe if more of the young had bothered to vote it might have been a different outcome. I don't know and quite frankly neither do you.

We as a generation have raised in part a whole raft of young people who think they're entitled to have everything that they want with zero effort. Well welcome to the real world OP , you're only here because of the sacrifice that was made over two world wars and numerous conflicts. You only expect a house because your grandparents and parents scrimped and saved to offer you better options than living in 2 rooms with your 4 siblings , mum and dad and grandma.

You've touched a nerve with me - and it's my last one smile ......

nigglynellie Wed 20-Jul-16 15:39:38

Not sure the OP is genuine! They're very quiet considering their rage?!! confused

GandTea Wed 20-Jul-16 15:41:32

WE paid for our Children's university education, they are now in a position to pay for their childrens.
We did have it easy though:-
Didn't have to worry which mobile phone was in, just if the phone box had been vandalised.
Which car should we buy, oh yes, it was a bike.
I never had to worry about paying for my education -- I went to work at 15

Life was so easy then.