Gransnet forums

News & politics

Healthy cut from GPs lists?

(31 Posts)
thatbags Wed 20-Jul-16 11:50:21

As usual the headline gives a wrong impression. if one reads the article hmm, it says this:

"Under the initiative, those who have not seen their GP for five years will be sent two letters asking them to respond.

"If they do not reply saying they still wish to be registered with their doctor, they will be removed from the practice list.

"The idea is to find out whether patients no longer require services or have moved house, left the country or died."

Yes, there's a small risk attached, but there is with most things. It's not a completely unreasonable proposal.

Firecracker123 Wed 20-Jul-16 11:40:57

The GP surgeries get paid so much for every person on their books. Some could have died or move to another gp but they have not updated their books and are still getting money for them. So in my opinion it is a good idea.

Nelliemoser Wed 20-Jul-16 11:25:55

That is stupid if you think about it If they have not needed a GP in however many years they are not costing the NHS anything.

It is quite the case that as you get older bodies wear out. I am costing the NHS more nowadays.
Mine were a family history of glaucoma, nothing I can do about that. Arthritic joints in shoulders and hands, family trait.
A back problem caused by a fall. There has been nothing I could have done about avoiding this mishap, except perhaps dropping my baby son when I tripped down the stairs so I could save myself.
Apart from these "mechanical things" I am quite healthy.

Whitewave exactly my fears if you get removed from a register you could have great problems getting back on when you need it.

whitewave Wed 20-Jul-16 11:01:21

I take pride and gratitude that I don't contact my doctor. It is ass about face. Another nail in the NHS coffin. What happens to those taken off the doctors list? How easy is it going to be for them to get back on? At a guess very difficult I would bet.

Ever since this ghastly government has taken control, the NHS has been under constant onslaught. Totally underfunded, but we have been fed lies and misinformation. No wonder we can't trust our MPs. They treat us like fools to get what they want.

annsixty Wed 20-Jul-16 11:00:52

They will be asked to reply which I think is reasonable I would hope the surgeries would make allowances for people identifiable as vulnerable on their lists and make more enquiries. Surely the vulnerable and elderly should be contacted every year anyway.

trisher Wed 20-Jul-16 10:45:42

There is a proposal to cut people from a GPs list if they haven't seen a doctor for 5 years- I think it is madness and once again threatens the less able in our society who won't understand what is happening
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/19/healthy-patients-to-be-axed-from-surgery-lists-if-they-dont-see/
I would have been removed from mine when I was younger