Gransnet forums

News & politics

Barbaric murder of priest

(76 Posts)
Stansgran Tue 26-Jul-16 20:32:32

I find it extraordinary that Sid Ahmed Ghlam( I may have misspelled this name) was arrested over a year ago with a list of churches which were to be targeted and this one at St Etienne de Rouvray was on the list. Why on earth was the list not made public ? Was the only church worth protecting the Sacre Coeur .

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jul-16 10:43:59

That as re Henry 8

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jul-16 10:45:30

It seems Hollande will be gone in the next election. Replaced by who?!

Gagagran Wed 27-Jul-16 10:55:03

?Sarkozy?

petra Wed 27-Jul-16 11:08:15

"How can they be so full of hate at a young age"
I read an article by * Jasmine Alibhai Brown* She explained how confused young Muslims are. She was teaching young Muslims and they told her how confused they are.
They go to a western style school, wear western clothing, etc. Then, they go home and it's a totally different world to where they have been all day. Many of them were not speaking English when they went home, couldn't watch western tv, go to the cinema and God forbid that they wanted to choose their own partner.
I'm sure there are many here who think that 'it's all changed now' Well some have changed but it's still alive and well and happening in your town.

nigglynellie Wed 27-Jul-16 11:11:19

FGS, you can't possibly compare what is happening today with the attitudes of the sixteenth century when all manner of atrocities were considered the norm! Bear baiting, and many other kinds of animal/human 'activities' were considered happy family entertainment! Apart from Thomas Beckett, no priest was ever murdered at the high altar while conducting Mass. The fear of hell and damnation was enough to make that a complete no, no. Which Priest did Henry have killed? If you're referring to Thomas Wolsey, he in fact died in his bed on his way back to London having been arrested by Henry for treason after he refused to sanction Henrys divorce. The reformation is a little bit more complicated than just Henry 'getting his end away' as you rather foolishly put it.

Nain9bach Wed 27-Jul-16 11:55:20

Internment. Many were rounded up in Britain for having Italian and German ancestry leading and during the Second World War. Do we suppress all religious rights other than the recognised religion of the country? You will find that this is the way that subversives are current dealt with I. The countries that most of the perpetrators of violence in Europe come from. Should all European countries do the same? I wouldn't not normally advocate such drastic action - however we cannot guarantee the safety of our citizens any more.

Juggernaut Wed 27-Jul-16 13:01:25

Really? You're comparing Isis atrocities to the Reformation? Words fail me at the absolute stupidity of your comment!

Stansgran Wed 27-Jul-16 13:21:05

I think the poster was confusing his Henrys. A little learning is a dangerous thing.
I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that people fleeing to Syria for a cause should have their passports confiscated and that they should possibly be able to reapply for them in ten or fifteen years time( if still alive)
I think Muslim strong liners are living in the dark ages- the equivalent of our Middle Ages. They have a lot in common.
I think the imams are having a field day smashing up satellite dishes in some god forsaken country as they feel it is undermining Islam. I use the words God forsaken advisedly today .

maddyone Wed 27-Jul-16 13:52:46

I think we're all in agreement about the barbarity of the terrible events yesterday, and indeed the recent previous events, but whilst it is a fair comparison that the roads are more dangerous, in fact terrorism is just that, it terrorises us all. We feel horrified at what has happened, and at the same time afraid at what might happen next, and if it might even affect us, even though we know it's highly unlikely. My 88 year old mother was worrying yesterday because 'all my family are going to France this summer'. I will point out that it is highly unlikely that any of us will be caught up in any terrorist activity but I can't give her a guarantee that we won't, and that's what the terrorists want, they want to us to be terrified. I know she won't stop worrying until we are all safely home, and yet it could just as easily happen here.
I agree with past posters who have said those people who are known to be radical should be locked away or deported. If it costs a lot of money, so be it, and if human rights are quoted, I'm afraid we have to put the human rights of the rest of the population first. However I think none of that will actually happen and we'll just have to watch the leaders of various countries wringing their hands and saying we must remain strong and not let them beat us. In my opinion, when atrocities such as yesterday and Nice happen, we've already been beaten.

gillybob Wed 27-Jul-16 14:09:26

It is high time the Imam's/religious leaders were made to appear on national television condemning those that carry out such atrocities in the name of their (Muslim) religion. I would go so far as to say they should be given a script to read out pointing out that such acts of terrorism will see the perpetrator heading straight to hell and not the paradise they clearly believe in.

VIOLETTE Wed 27-Jul-16 14:20:34

There is no easy answer is there ! Bombing ? what will that achieve ? except probably to kill innocent families still able to live in Syria ....the ISIS 'fighters' or cowards, will have moved out of town to safer havens. The fact is, the attack in Nice as well as the terrible death of the Priest, were both carried out by lone wolf attackers ....one because it would bring him the 15 minutes of fame he craved (his family said he smoked, drank, gambled ...hardly a devout Muslim !) ...he did have contacts who probably encouraged him though ...and the young attacker of the priest ....again, he had been said to have been a drinker, smoker, etc .....and until the authorities tried to deport him back from whence he first claimed asylum, a reasonably moderate individual. You no longer know who to trust. I live in France, and went to the beach yesterday, and intend to do so on Saturday. ....a popular beach with lots of tourists and ordinary French families .....we now have patrols of security wearing banana bags containing guns ....not sure what that will achieve, but I suppose it is making an effort. France now has a few thousand citizens signed up a reservistes .....sadly I am too old, as is my husband ...although he said he would love to sign up ! I now hear M. Hollande saying fighter jets will be made available ..and as if to prove it, two from the local armee de l'air have just passed over ! Troubling times, and we don't even have the possibility to 'know your enemy'

sunseeker Wed 27-Jul-16 14:57:18

Local Imams must strongly condemn these attacks. We are told, and I believe it to be true, that the majority of Muslims are against these attacks, but where are they in condemning them, why are they not reporting suspicious behaviour to the authorities. Some years ago a young man planned to bomb a large shopping centre in Bristol. He was reported by the members of the Mosque he attended and the attack was prevented. I also think the press should not publish the names of the attackers. They are hoping to be seen as martyrs but if no-one knows their name that won't happen.

TriciaF Wed 27-Jul-16 15:30:58

It seems that Muslims will not speak in public against other Muslims, however awful their actions.
After the Charlie Hebdo massacres there was a small survey in local french secondary schools of the pupils reaction to the news. The Muslim students all denied that the attackers were Muslims. No, they were Israelis, disguised as Muslims. It was the Mossad. Must have been told by their parents.

Tegan Wed 27-Jul-16 15:33:59

There was a march in London the other week by Muslims but it got virtually no publicity sad.

Tegan Wed 27-Jul-16 15:38:45

Must point out that I do agree that more Muslims must speak out against IS as they have to be defeated from within, it's just that I was surprised that a march like that was ignored by the media.

Diddy1 Wed 27-Jul-16 15:56:46

Unbelievable this boy was allowed to be "free" just because he was tagged, I feel so sorry for France, but until the police force and intelligence become more efficient, this will not be the last attack.

nigglynellie Wed 27-Jul-16 15:57:38

Correct Henry, clue the reformation! just a completely inane comment!
Am about to nervously check the news!

gillybob Wed 27-Jul-16 16:02:10

I still think that Muslim leaders must be forced encouraged to speak out or else aren't they almost condoning the acts of terrorism.

Yes the murderer was tagged Diddy1 but apparently the tag was not "live" in the morning, which would be almost laughable if it were not so serious.

petra Wed 27-Jul-16 16:21:35

I've just been reading a terrible case of a Welsh woman, age 21 ( born to a Saudi father) who took her to Saudi because she was becoming to westernised. She is being kept in a cage.
Long story but the case is now being held in the high court in London.
The judge, Mr justice Holman said: * We have to be careful about asserting the supremacy of our cultural standards*
With attitudes like this: what hope against these heathans, because that's what they are.

Rosina Wed 27-Jul-16 16:30:05

I cannot understand why hate preachers were allowed to rant in the Mosques in this country; how many young minds were lost to extremism in the name of religious tolerance?
As I understand it, incitement is a criminal offence - and I believe someone was convicted and imprisoned for this is Australia not that long ago. Incitement should not only be a criminal offence, it should be declared to be treason as it undermines national security. Hit these people as hard as we can, and let us not have any spineless excuses for not locking them up - otherwise we know that we pay the price, as we have done already and will do again.

petra Wed 27-Jul-16 16:55:46

Rosina There's non so blind as them that can not see. Your sentiments won't go down well with the ' tree huggers' as I call them.

Christinefrance Wed 27-Jul-16 16:57:40

Think we have practised tolerance and forbearance long enough, time to come down hard on the hate preachers and radicalised. If they want to go to Syria then let them go with no chance of returning. Time for boots on the ground in IS controlled areas that's the only way we can rid ourselves of this plague.

Lindajane Wed 27-Jul-16 18:13:50

Not head in sand, just that we need to keep perspective. Of course there are problems and we need effective security services for this, but, i'd hate to see lots of restrictions to our 'freedom' in the name of security.

LullyDully Wed 27-Jul-16 18:25:46

Glad TM is calling them Daishe which apparently IS hates as it is a derogatory term.

I despair of the future, we must find a way to stop them feeling proud of these attacks. There are enough disillusioned young Muslims who are impressed with the movement and their wickedness. The answer is not to deny refugees a.safe.home, however it only takes one or two to create havoc.

I can not see an answer as they are not available to come to negotiation. Daishe do not want peace, just revenge and destabilisation. How do they see a future? Sorry to be negative but I can not see where we are heading and why. Cut one head and several more grow.like a.Hydra. I think Bush and Blair have some.answers to give to the world.

Disgruntled Thu 28-Jul-16 03:24:17

My thoughts exactly, Lullydully. Worrying times.