Gransnet forums

News & politics

Barbaric murder of priest

(76 Posts)
Stansgran Tue 26-Jul-16 20:32:32

I find it extraordinary that Sid Ahmed Ghlam( I may have misspelled this name) was arrested over a year ago with a list of churches which were to be targeted and this one at St Etienne de Rouvray was on the list. Why on earth was the list not made public ? Was the only church worth protecting the Sacre Coeur .

Disgruntled Thu 28-Jul-16 06:07:02

Gillybob I think that's a good idea - surely the media could find an imam who could say they'll be going straight to hell?t they shouldn't go on tv with a script because (a) that looks fake and (b) that's what some hostages are made to do. There's no point in prime ministers and presidents thumping the table and saying they're going to get tougher. Daishe wants to create fear - maybe they shouldn't even be referred to as "terrorists" but something less powerful - any ideas? And not named.

LullyDully Thu 28-Jul-16 08:06:15

Spineless Killers and murderers who will not go to heaven.

Gononsuch Thu 28-Jul-16 08:20:08

How can any one do a bad thing like that and realizing that their life is over as well. Did you see the interviews with the killer's family, sadness all around. sad

obieone Thu 28-Jul-16 08:43:47

There are a lot of judgements of people going on here.

We can judge peoples' behaviour all we like, and say it is wrong and evil etc.

But we are not allowed to judge people. It is Jesus that is going to do that. We can't say who is going to heaven and hell.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 08:47:19

If only Charlie Hebdo had not printed that disgusting cartoon , it is accepted as humour and freedom of the press in our culture , perhaps we need to be more critical of our own culture

Devorgilla Thu 28-Jul-16 10:06:38

Or they need to be less 'precious' about their own. I often think of Maslow's Pyramid of Needs when I see episodes like this. The bottom, and largest, two layers are the basic needs of food, water, warmth, rest, safety and security. The next two are feelings of belonging and love needs and feelings of esteem and accomplishment in the societies they belong to. The last, and smallest, is the most difficult to attain. A confidence of self, achieving your full potential and being involved in creativity and able to laugh at yourself and the world arround you. Many of these perpetrators come from societies where their thought processes are heavily controlled. When they get away from that support they are not always given access to the higher levels of the pyramid etc in the society they move to. Just my random thought of the morning.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 10:11:30

To be fair Devo no country is more precious of their own culture than the UK , you only have too see the chip shops and beer bars in Spain !

TerriBull Thu 28-Jul-16 10:40:11

"To be fair" is a misnomer, I don't know how many other countries you have spent any time in AB, whilst I agree that English, Welsh and Scottish enclaves in Spain have imported their, often not very great cuisine to areas where they live, I totally disagaree about other countries not being "precious" about their culture or even just celebrating it. In France the French tricolor flag is very much in evidence, similarly in America the Stars and Stripes are all over the place. In fact I can't think of anywhere I have travelled to in either the northern or southern hemisphere whose culture isn't visible, most countires have a nationalistic pride for God's sake it's not perculiar to the British. I think we should also bear in mind that that most cultures, including newly arrived ones here will import their food, it's human nature to want to hang on to a bit of the old country when you are far from home.
I know my grandfather trawled the few continental shops that were around in the twenties and thirties and beyond until they became more common looking for garlic and olive oil which were strangely exotic then.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 11:04:03

TerriBull, I said UK but yes every country , should any country be less precious about their culture

gillybob Thu 28-Jul-16 11:09:05

I don't think the British (and in particular the English) are precious enough about their/our culture Anniebach.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 11:13:11

I do gillybob

Gononsuch Thu 28-Jul-16 11:15:02

This thread is going the way of all the others lots of questions but no answers. Just make your self understood so it does not matter if it's a "misnomer" or not I understand what was meant.

I think we should all start praying 5 times aday, if nothing else it gives us time to reflect. AMEN

gillybob Thu 28-Jul-16 11:15:06

Okay we agree to disagree Anniebach. smile

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 11:18:44

Thank you gillybob

TriciaF Thu 28-Jul-16 11:58:44

I think Imams are afraid to speak out because of fear of reprisals.

Anya Thu 28-Jul-16 12:41:44

We need more young Muslims to stand up and shout 'You ain't no Muslim bro''

Devorgilla Thu 28-Jul-16 13:38:27

Ok. I hold up my hands to the thread going askew. When I said 'they should be less precious about their culture' I was not meaning that they shouldn't be allowed to import their food, national dress, language etc. I meant that, in order to react to a cartoon such as the Charlie Hebdo one AB mentioned, without resorting to blowing people up or gunning them down, you had to reach a certain level in your society where you could brush it off as the work of a clever cartoonist that you could take or leave. Let's face it the UK is allegedly a Christian country. If we reacted in the same way to the name of Jesus being abused as it is very frequently there wouldn't be many of us left. That is why I followed my comment with the Maslow Pyramid theory. In order to react like the host population would you have to have reached, in their society, the top of the pyramid. Many immigrants/migrants aren't there yet and resort to what they know and feel safe with. I'll shut up now.

petra Thu 28-Jul-16 13:49:40

Culture, as in its perfectly normal to take your 16 yr old daughter, born in Swansea and lock her in a cage in Saudi Arabia.
Culture, as in "You will marry your first cousin and the chances of your children being born disabled are very high"

gillybob Thu 28-Jul-16 13:55:13

Culture; the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society

Doesn't mean to say they are not backward though Petra

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 14:00:50

Where is the girl from Petra, there has been nothing on the Welsh news?

petra Thu 28-Jul-16 14:08:44

anniebach Her name is Amina Al - Jeffery. She was born in Swansea. This case in in the London high court now. I don't hold out much for her as her father ( a Saudi) is being backed financially by the Saudi government. Terrible case.
In the Daily mail today.

petra Thu 28-Jul-16 14:11:23

gillybob could you give me some instances where this religion is forward thinking, please.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 14:17:19

Thank you Petra, yes it is covered by the Welsh news, she is 21 and has access to the British embassy and her bedroom did have bars at the Windows but not now, no cage

It was the age which made me think there were two girls, sorry

gillybob Thu 28-Jul-16 14:19:11

I can't petra because it isn't.

TriciaF Thu 28-Jul-16 14:36:26

petra - "Forward thinking". Eldest son and family live in Kuwait and I've been there and met several of their Arab friends. They're very "modern" and friendly.
Son teaches in a secondary school with mixed nationals, including Arab/Muslims and they put on the musical Grease last year, which amazed me.
I think they're mostly Shiites there, but son says there are signs that the Sunnis are starting to have more influence.