Gransnet forums

News & politics

Social mobility and grammar schools

(334 Posts)
JessM Thu 28-Jul-16 20:30:15

There are mutterings that under Teresa May there may be a relaxation of the rules about opening new grammar schools. But will they just be another route by which privileged parents give their children an additional advantage?
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/28/social-mobility-doesnt-exist-grammar-schools-part-problem?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

gettingonabit Tue 09-Aug-16 16:50:36

Good luck to her, dj. I think she'll need it only half joking.

Mamie Tue 09-Aug-16 16:26:46

Was thinking as a retired inspector. grin

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 16:10:57

I've told my children I'll disown them if they become teachers! (Joking)

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 16:09:25

I thought that was probably what you meant, but just wanted clarify. As an ex-comprehensive school teacher 'lower ability' means something quite specific.

I suspect the differentiation in grammar schools isn't as good as it should be. In a grammar school which admits about 30% of the cohort, there's a massive difference between the most and least able - much wider than the middle 60-70% in a comprehensive.

durhamjen Tue 09-Aug-16 16:07:54

My 23 year old granddaughter has just become a teacher, gettingonabit.
Her father and I are both surprised. He's a teacher; so was I.

durhamjen Tue 09-Aug-16 16:05:11

www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2016/08/09/grammar-schools-are-another-stick-to-beat-the-working-class

The first assignment I wrote as part of the sociology of education course was about how grammar and private schools reduced the choices of those who went to them.

Mamie Tue 09-Aug-16 15:48:06

Sorry that wasn't clear Daphne. Obviously I meant the lower-ability pupils in the group already selected by the 11+.

gettingonabit Tue 09-Aug-16 15:33:32

I agree that the biggest problem in schools is poor behaviour, followed closely by mixed ability setting. Teaching mixed ability sets is difficult, but possible if behaviour is good. If behaviour is poor, all pupils suffer. As do the teachers.

Heads are reluctant to admit to poor discipline; in many cases the blame is passed onto the teacher. The teacher has limited sanctions, no support from the Head, and nowhere to turn to for support.

I'm surprised anyone becomes a teacher these days.

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 15:21:09

What do you mean by 'lower ability'? If the 11+ has done its job, there shouldn't be any lower ability children in grammar schools.

However, as I pointed out before, there are children in grammar schools who are little better than average, with a CATs/IQ score of about 110-115. They are much closer in ability to the average in a secondary modern than they are to the real high fliers in a grammar school.

I suspect the differentiation in grammar schools isn't that good.

Mamie Tue 09-Aug-16 15:15:54

I also think it is interesting to look at the progress data of lower-ability children in grammar schools. Is the differentiation as effective as it should be?

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 15:11:12

jinglbelffrocks,

Not true! The vast majority of comprehensive schools set pupils by ability. It's true that the top sets tend to be better behaved, but not always. A clever, disruptive child is a nightmare!

What about the ones who aren't that bright and want to learn, but are in low sets with disruptive children? That will happen in secondary moderns and comprehensives. Surely they deserve a chance too.

Many teachers would probably say that the biggest problem in schools is behaviour. They don't like admitting it, because it looks like failure and headteachers are the worst at cover ups. I did supply teaching for a while and there's a huge difference between schools regarding behaviour.

Anniebach Tue 09-Aug-16 15:04:59

Not in our comprehensive jingle . Each child is tutored according to their capabilities , you support schools ehere children have the same capabilities but some have parents who can pay for private tuition and so they succeed st the 11+

trisher Tue 09-Aug-16 14:59:54

That's a sweeping statement,any evidence? A child with real ability from an underprivileged background is unlikely to get in, a child of average ability who has benefited from professional tutoring will get in. Which deserves the best education? Answer of course- they both do, but under the grammar system one won't get it.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Aug-16 14:50:28

Trouble is, comprehensive schooling doesn't always serve children well. You get the ones who don't want to learn in with the others, and they can be disruptive.

I think children should be entitled to an education to suit their abilities. Grammar schools are the best for this.

trisher Tue 09-Aug-16 13:25:32

Did anyone watch "Educating Yorkshire" when it was on? I thought that embodied what education should be. They did their best for every pupil, sometimes in the face of great difficulties. They didn't always succeed but they always tried.It showed comprehensive education at its best. I don't believe a selective system could do better.

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 00:24:23

And make sure that all pupils can get on with their work! It's not just the very bright ones who have the right to be able to make progress.

Gracesgran Tue 09-Aug-16 00:19:50

Keep schools comprehensive and fund them properly Nelliemoser smile

Nelliemoser Tue 09-Aug-16 00:07:42

This discussion was going on earlier in the year. Not many were really positive about grammar schools maybe remembering the initial secondary modern/ grammar system.
There were lots of children (us} who did get on despite being written off at 11 as not clever enough, who have done well.

The numbers going into grammar schools showed more to do with how many places were actually available in those schools and if those pupils had the money to pay for the then expensive uniforms. For heavens sake keep schools comprehensive. So all chidren can find their own educational level.

Gracesgran Tue 09-Aug-16 00:05:07

One of the reasons I am against reverting to better funding for a very small elite (which is what Grammar schools were) is because of people like me icanhandthemback. We, as a family, are great a using the system because we believe in education. So my son went to an independent prep-school for a year to prepare him for the entrance exam and then won a full scholarship (which strangely paid half his fees confused). He thrived. Interestingly, when I asked him what he liked after the first half-term he said "everyone is quiet when we have to do our work" dd

My daughter went to a church school with a very good reputation for working with dyslexia (she is severely dyslexic). I promise we were already a "church family" before she went but it still gave us the opportunity of a church place at that school which she would not have had otherwise.

I feel about education a bit like I feel about my mother. I keep asking myself who would get another little old lady of 95 with dementia the benefits, her £140 off her electricity bill, or even her doctor to come out to visit her, etc., if she didn't have a 'me'. In the same way what happened to the children whose mothers weren't slightly obsessed by education; I don't believe it should be down to that.

durhamjen Mon 08-Aug-16 23:41:49

'But while some pupils may benefit, experts also say that grammar schools generally widen the gap in attainment between rich and poor pupils.

“There is repeated evidence that any appearance of advantage for those attending selective schools is outweighed by the disadvantage for those who do not”, says Professor Stephen Gorard of Durham University. “More children lose out than gain, and the attainment gaps between highest and lowest and between richest and poorest are larger”.'

From the fullfact article.
Why is it that a system that advantages the rich should be pushed by Theresa May? She wanted to be the leader of everyone in the country, but seems to espouse more divisive policies than Cameron did.

durhamjen Mon 08-Aug-16 23:35:38

fullfact.org/education/grammar-schools-and-social-mobility-whats-evidence/

You've no need to read it, obie, as it's by Fullfact.
A lot of fuss really, as there are only 163 grammar schools in England.
How can anyone base a policy on such a small number?

daphnedill Mon 08-Aug-16 23:12:14

I agree with you, gracesgran. The grammar school system was set up for a specific social hierarchy with about 20% or so in white collar jobs. It's been predicted that about 40% of jobs will be lost over the next couple of decades through automation. The future is going to be in intellectual property and we need more than a minority to have a stake in that.

I also agree with you, icanhandthemback. I did much the same as you. I became a teacher, because I thought I could change things. Everybody assumed I would go into independent schools, but I was determined I wanted to work in state schools.

The biggest problem in schools is not the organisation, but the discipline, and that can be bad in some independent schools too. Some headteachers deny there's a problem and are far too keen to blame bad teachers (as are some parents). The truth is that pupils aren't punished consistently for bad behaviour. I'm not talking about bringing back the cane, but zero tolerance of not having the right equipment, being late, having mobiles in class, talking out of turn, etc.

I think teachers have been so ground down by constant criticism and not being supported with unruly pupils that they give in too easily. My personal view is that schools which tolerate poor behaviour aren't doing anybody any favours, not even the pupils who misbehave. If the government wants to tinker with school structures, I would rather it found some way of removing pupils who constantly disrupt others' learning.

Gracesgran Mon 08-Aug-16 22:51:27

There is very little if anything to show that working class children became socially mobile - the argument often made and the one repeated now.

Of course we all want the most talented to be able to make use of those talents but there is no real evidence that the Grammar Schools actually achieved this. The Grammar School system was not as popular as some make out in the 1950s/60s. The Crowther Report, commissioned by Conservative Secretary of State David Eccles, stated in 1959 that the rapid rise in school rolls after the war "has largely increased public clamour against a competitive element in grammar school selection, which seems to parents to be contrary to the promise of secondary education according only to "age, aptitude and ability"

"In the grammar school period, while 33% of those whose father's profession was "higher professional" got onto a degree course at university, only 2% of those from a skilled manual background did so and just 1% of those from a semi-skilled or unskilled background." (Robbins Report)

We must, must, must ensure a good education for all as the economy hollows out and very few of the typical well paid blue collar or lower level white collar jobs that took people into a life their parents could not have contemplated, disappear with technology. The middle class is feeling squeezed because of this and because they are becoming aware that their children will find things more difficult and, as always, they want the system to work for them - understandably. But as we will either be offering low-paid, insecure work or high paid, highly skilled work and those in the highly skilled jobs must be able to continue learning and change direction of learning through their lives. For the country to succeed and bring in those highly skilled jobs every one needs the best possible education, not just a few.

icanhandthemback Mon 08-Aug-16 22:39:49

I'm not against Grammar Schools per se but I don't think they suit every intelligent child. I went to one when I was at school and a lot was made of the fact we were the top 8% of the country but when you are at the bottom of that section, you don't half lose confidence quickly. I was so unimpressed with my education I actually became a teacher in order to change things...naive or what!
When my very conscientious, bright boy started at the local comprehensive I truly believed that he'd get by in any school. However, after the first term we started to have doubts when he no longer wanted to go to school as it took 15 minutes at the start of each lesson to attempt to settle the class and because worksheets weren't handed out until they were settled, he couldn't get on with his work. When he told me of the antics of his classmates, I couldn't believe it so I got him to take video/audio footage. It was absolutely dire. We knew other parents in other schools and none of them sounded much better. We considered giving him additional tuition to keep him flying but then thought, why should he give up his spare time because others won't let him work? We moved him to a private school and the difference is amazing. No inverted snobbery about being intelligent and wanting to do well. Friendly and sociable kids from the top to the bottom. They don't only take academia as their starting point but give opportunities in Sport, Drama, Music, Community Work, etc. I'd like to see all children offered these opportunities but I can't see it happening whilst we have such disruption in the classroom and teachers are forced to do more stressful crowd control than teaching.

daphnedill Mon 08-Aug-16 21:34:05

And there you have it! A 'good' school on your CV can get you job interviews in a way that Chavsville Secondary Modern won't. It worked for me, despite the fact that I was uninspired at school and can't honestly claim to have made much of an effort.