Gransnet forums

News & politics

Crikey. They've banned the lot of 'em

(45 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Aug-16 20:03:21

That'll put the cat amongst the pigeons with Putin.

Left it late enough didn't they?

Candelle Mon 08-Aug-16 12:38:27

Tudorrose: I believe it was the Lebanese that refused to travel with the Israelis.

This is from the Guardian:
'Israeli athletes were blocked from boarding a bus packed with Lebanese athletes in Rio de Janeiro on Friday'.

elfies Mon 08-Aug-16 12:39:10

I feel so sorry that the paralympians have been banned ,and not a blanket ban on the Entire Russian team

Craftycat Mon 08-Aug-16 12:41:13

Totally agree! The whole thing needs to be slimmed down totally. It's just a farce when you know that some countries are cheating.
OK I'm not personally mad about it anyway but I'm delighted they have banned ALL the Russian Para.team & it is a great pity the current games did not do the same. If any Russian athlete wins no-one will believe they did it without drugs now anyway.
So much money when all you need is a running track- a swimming pool & a simple arena. It would be good to see it slimmed right back to the original games. Beach Volley ball? Synchronised swimming? Please!!

kathyd Mon 08-Aug-16 12:44:53

Don't forget the world and European athletics championships as well. They all cost money to put on.

brenh34 Mon 08-Aug-16 14:32:43

We were living in London when the Olympics were 'won' for 2012. From that time on everyone who lived in a London Borough had to pay a levy on our Council Tax to help fund the games. We were not asked if we wanted to pay and, as far as I know, it was only the London Boroughs that had to pay.

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 14:34:29

Was it not London who benefitted from the tourists ?

parker Mon 08-Aug-16 16:00:47

They should have banned all the Russian athletes. It is unfair for the rest to compete against proved cheats and bad for sport in general.

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 16:11:28

Not fair on the athletes who haven't entered the previous Olympics , they have not been proved to be drug cheats, they are paying a political price

Lilyflower Mon 08-Aug-16 17:30:17

My DH and I have been discussing this constantly. We are appalled at the drugs and the cheating and that taxpayers' money is used to train athletes so that the winner is often the one whose country has the longest pockets. Those, like us, who have no interest in sport are made to pay for it and a summer's worth of sport pushes everything else off the T.V. Schedules and the news agenda.

Olympics! Grrr!

nigglynellie Mon 08-Aug-16 17:55:47

Snap, Lilyflower!!!!

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 18:57:43

I have soaps to avoid fifty two weeks of the year

Cherrytree59 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:12:59

AB ditto !grin

I would like to go back to a time when it was just Amateurs
No well paid professionals
No big business or giant sponsorship.

mcculloch29 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:13:35

Lot of issues here. If Paralympians were forced to take performance enhancing drugs, that cavalier disregard for their health is appalling.
Given the total fudge the International Olympic Committee made of the drug cheats revelations with regard to the Olympics, this is exactly the right move by the IPC.
There is also the question of the validity of previous Championships as well as the Olympics.
One of my young Facebook friends, Rhys, was third to two Russians at the 2014 European Para -Athletic Championships. He will be competing in Rio, hopefully this time on a level playing field.

mcculloch29 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:19:29

The Olympics is once every four years. Soaps are on 52 weeks of the year!
Don't watch soaps, although I can understand people who want to escape real life by doing so.
I love nearly all sports but as a disabled person I am really looking forward to the Paralympics

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 19:39:46

It is unfair to call the Russian athletes in this Olympics drug cheats, have they failed drug tests ? are they responsible for what may have happened in the past?

petra Mon 08-Aug-16 19:55:42

anniebach I understand what your saying and have total sympathy with innocent athletes, but this has to stop, this is a war on illegal drug taking in sport, and as in all wars innocent people suffer.
Like you I'm a cynic where business and money are concerned and I think by the next olympics this will all be forgotten.

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 21:43:12

Thank you Petra, I did think it unfair to claim young athletes in their first Olympics are proved drugged cheats , they are not.

narrowboatnan Tue 09-Aug-16 09:30:43

Cherrytree59 none of the Team GB are professionals and certainly don't get paid lots of money. If they are lucky they will be sponsored by a business and get their money that way. The Paralympions are the same. I know this to be fact. Adam Peaty, for example, who has deservedly won a Gold in his swimming event, has worked hard to get where he is, supported by his family and certainly doesn't get paid for doing it. So please check your facts before making such sweeping statements.

Balini Sun 21-Aug-16 10:32:51

I remember when Rangers FC, held the second biggest sports meeting, in Britain. It was second, only to the AAA Championships. It was paid for, by Rangers, and advertisers, as far as I know. It was all amateur, and held on one day. The crowd were usually lucky, and had good weather. It didn't cost millions, and was enjoyed by large crowds of people, who weren't rich.