Gransnet forums

News & politics

Despair

(90 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 15-Aug-16 13:50:48

I said recently our drop in centre for people with mental health problems was to lose funding. Last week was contacted by our labour town councillors , the day centre for the disabled and elderly is to be closed down so we have to fight against this too . Just had a telephone call from local branch of Age Concern, funding being withdrawn , nearest support now will be fifty miles away , what will they close next and where will the vunerable find support? Volenteers are difficult to find and I am so tired

NfkDumpling Sun 21-Aug-16 15:00:06

Welshwife. - Our little local supermarket has a table of pre-read books which are donated and resold cheaply. Also DVDs. The money raised goes to local organisations. Also every Monday (market day) the local church has a sort of bring and buy. Planks are put across the pews and donated toys, books, dress jewelry, good clothes etc sold.

Those charity bags which get posted through our doors don't fare too well here as all unwanted stuff has already gone. A shame as they're not posting them nearly so often - I've had to buy bin bags!

Welshwife Sun 21-Aug-16 15:23:53

That is good NFK - they must have a good flow of people through there to see that and donate and/or buy. I like the idea of the church too - you must live in a nice area where peop,e will gladly volunteer.

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 20:29:07

www.change.org/p/nhs-islington-bring-my-son-stephen-home-care-for-him-in-our-community-bringstephenhome

Just received this about mental health and autism.
In an update, the parents say that SW have changed their minds and will not send the boy home.
Some people mentioned in the update are three days travel away from family.
That can't be right.

Please sign if you haven't already and put on facebook.

www.change.org/p/nhs-islington-bring-my-son-stephen-home-care-for-him-in-our-community-bringstephenhome

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 20:30:17

www.change.org/p/nhs-islington-bring-my-son-stephen-home-care-for-him-in-our-community-bringstephenhome/u/17627729
Sorry. Thought the second was the update.

NfkDumpling Sun 21-Aug-16 22:50:02

Have signed DJ for all the good it'll do. Norman Lamb is a local MP and he did his best when he could but seemed to be banging his head against a brick wall. He's still fighting to get folk treated locally and not half way across the country.

Yes , * Welshwife* I am fortunate to be in a nice area. Not rich though. A high ratio of retired though who stir everyone up and motivate them!

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 22:54:21

I always thought that Norman Lamb was too good to be an MP, if you know what I mean.
Thanks, NFK, the more that sign the better.

NfkDumpling Mon 22-Aug-16 07:55:25

Yes DJ he is. Both him and his wife are lovely caring people. Too good for politics.

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 11:27:38

Just want to say MIND has come to the rescue of the drop in centre

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Sep-16 11:49:31

That's great annie!

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 12:53:11

Thank you Jingle, no more fund raising and semi retiring , I will take night calls still, but I am relieved the organising and daily running is no longer my worry

Tegan Mon 19-Sep-16 12:57:25

Great news.

Jane10 Mon 19-Sep-16 13:36:28

Gosh that's absolutely terrific Anniebach. What wonderful news. Might you struggle a bit to hand over the reins? Its such an odd feeling when something you really hope for actually comes true! Anyway enjoy the relief.sunshine

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 14:10:21

Thank you Tegan and Jane

I will miss it but it has been exhausting me for some time , what was so hard was listening to the distress , comforting, but coming home to an empty house I would at times curl up and cry. But There was laughter too.

And the shops, supermarkets and local farmers will be thrilled , I am a good fund raiser because I have no problem with asking/begging /scrounging grin

I am just thankful there is a place for these lovely people to go, I even thought of using my bungalow but it would have brought problems , I would have done it though

obieone Mon 19-Sep-16 16:55:55

Brilliant!