Gransnet forums

News & politics

International Peace Day

(188 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 20-Sep-16 20:55:18

Some of you may remember that on this day each year I wear my white 'peace poppy'. Does anyone else mark the day?
www.un.org/en/events/peaceday/index.shtml

Smileless2012 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:00:53

I've been reading this thread from the beginning; some good posts on here. I'mblushto say I'd never heard of 'white peace poppies' and think it's a nice idea.smile

Your post earlier today got me thinking thatbags "How good works are talked about makes a difference too". I've never particularly enjoyed any of the well publicised annually televised fund raising events such as 'Comic Relief' etc but usually donate.

I realise that they raise enormous sums of money for wonderful and worthwhile causes but perhaps cynically, I wonder with some of the celebrities if the main reason they do what they do, is so they can be seen doing it. Then again, does that matter as long as the money is raised and those in need are helpedhmm.

Penstemmon Sat 24-Sep-16 20:22:01

I suspect that celebrities are approached to get involved so it increases viewing figures and therefore more donations. Some agents will of course promote their clients and some celebs will put themselves forward ..far a variety of motives.

durhamjen Sun 25-Sep-16 00:00:59

If there's anyone still awake, there's a festival from New York for Global Citizen.

links.globalcitizen.org/wf/click?upn=EclQ5SacGEHUAaqcEe4NEirdIVrw-2BhXoKw6QtOwf0aGghzCOzH9fm9mDwWO2zFbF4-2FY9JSiIopHEMn-2B-2FUSCl3AcunfJR8ruhGnr2YKG31Tsn-2FzXL2Sld73kXmxZJGlLBCsEGwvdtQ2H29NGk49TU2pvqz-2F2QncLX7jfONi3eQJdIsONABcFzrdHuvivT9ga0ngANefWbcEODMuWGFUVaWiwcKkhOWcpeW0KOmsyxNXf2p-2BLYTzJqOnVJ7UgIHBYcDkzfQ2-2BmKHIIJ4WAahFTPLD4CPCJzVEpAFdAkbuGWafI0RNPIeIWD13vkxETNZeZjb51QHAegSjxCMsw2vhKkQ-3D-3D_K7zbsD83FwTjvegmSeGPoPL7ZxB3QZTCDtRX5rQcfEnUC0YZg2cD0niQtya3FY3JYGCHqprjUVULbX1QwQ8FrqKnf8qELWQVCJCSXv3v-2FmNwsEDgBrM-2FEG2qIo0Bt5Mhbl7GpCjKl6ovWr6ug0M6j97Ftej-2BNJ-2Fy00cqTobGpT-2Fbxh7Jz-2Bt9f3qQat3ycF1QPo3a0BI2MXGyB3aOeHaKEsEgR9hvfXWqiJvgWHrDkU-2B-2FV2PNqOdXpcU4xNwbCRQEX7JTsIu0UJKVTyOyHqDhFp3IzPgpoXK6YiaWOKIXInkCWAEzBEsv1g1ugJuMj0I8ZqjXwFb2FTGAu5uuq1FkDUno8NRUNYYnYUNckyoUCVniM-2B4B86-2BwYpx-2F3bvdwg9n

Sorry about that link, but it does work.. It's a youtube live stream video with Rihanna.
Ellie Golding just being introduced.

absent Sun 25-Sep-16 04:16:10

Well, the OP has certainly got people on Gransnet talking about the concept of world peace, ironically not always amicably and sometimes very negatively. Nevertheless, thinking about such a complex and complicated idea and then talking about it is surely a step towards taking some sort of action.

Any action taken will inevitably start with small steps and there will, equally inevitably, be many setbacks but that doesn't mean that it can't grow massively with time. Someone earlier mentioned the abolition of the slave trade, a discussion started by a small group facing up to hugely powerful people who had grown very rich in this lucrative enterprise. Slavery still exists in the world, even in the UK, but the light still burns to stop it. Emancipation and universal franchise started small but gained a grip in a vast number of countries across the world and the cause is still going.

The cliché that even the longest journey begins with just one step is a cliché because it is true.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Sep-16 05:03:00

Oh please be fair the original poster simply asked a question. She made no big deal saying it was something she did but i it was FAR FAR from a virtue seeking post

I totally agree it may not have been well thought out because there is trouble and war raging in so many places and definitely a lot of irritation (war) coming through on lots of threads on GN so it's catching

Why would someone be told to 'mind there effing business' when they are offering an opinion what a strange reaction

BlueBelle Sun 25-Sep-16 05:06:22

Thatbags please show me what part of my post is 'screaming'

thatbags Sun 25-Sep-16 08:33:45

If you stop taking it literally, bb, you might get what I meant.

thatbags Sun 25-Sep-16 08:39:37

since you asked, bb, your comments still seem to be about how people are talking on the thread rather than what they are talking about and whether they are addressing the issues raised e.g. how to spread the message of peace.

Other than that, I think I've said all I want to say on this thread so am buzzing off now ?

rosesarered Sun 25-Sep-16 13:22:44

BlueBelle you don't seem to understand that the posts by thatbags express interest in pure ideas for other posters to discuss, it doesn't always mean that she agrees / disagrees with the ideas.I think most people here , whilst not wearing white poppies, always hope for peaceful solutions for the world and wish Granyactivist well.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Sep-16 13:30:33

Yes you re are right Thatbags I dont need to address the original question really it is well illustrated here in the thread a very simple question on a very ordinary forum causes a fire induced debate with opinions delivered in some cases disrespectfully I think that completely illustrates the fact that not many on here would be wearing a white poppy. So QED question answered

Lostmyglassesxx Sun 25-Sep-16 15:28:47

Wow
Ladies and one in particular
Some comments are digressing somewhat !
Go back to the original post
This is a discussion forum not a game of ping pong

Lostmyglassesxx Sun 25-Sep-16 15:31:58

Yup I agree BlueBelle
at least not as bad as the daily mail comments which descend into sheer vitriol and hatred !