Gransnet forums

News & politics

International Peace Day

(187 Posts)
trisher Wed 21-Sep-16 11:23:43

Thanks for the reminder grannyactivist. I had almost forgotten. It is some years since I wore a white poppy and think I would like to go back to doing this. Jings the white poppy is worn to commemorate all the war dead as well as to promote peace, perhaps if all of those emoting about Syria and war torn countries wore one it would bring about some change.
Thanks again grannyactivist it is people like you who keep the ideal of peace alive
www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/

nigglynellie Wed 21-Sep-16 10:11:08

Looking at the war torn countries and starving people of the middle east, wearing a white poppy would feel like a mockery, almost having a laugh! No thanks!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 09:45:37

Not sure how wearing a white poppy will help anyone though. Still, if it makes you feel good....

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 09:43:19

I guess they have to go through the motions. They can't suddenly ditch it. The children in the picture are very sweet, especially the little girl showing a great interest in how the bell works. smile

whitewave Wed 21-Sep-16 09:29:01

International knocking heads together day would get my vote.

The entire world leadership with the odd exception seems useless and dangerous.

Luckygirl Wed 21-Sep-16 09:25:24

It is hard - I can see the value of endorsing and supporting the idea of international co-operation and moves towards a fairer world with sustainable development and a shared aim of peace; but in the context of the pics I saw from Yemen on the TV yesterday it does sadly feel like a pee in the sea.

merlotgran Tue 20-Sep-16 21:56:12

Sustainable development - the building blocks of peace?

Try telling that to someone sitting in the ruins of their bombed house and destroyed community hmm

Anniebach Tue 20-Sep-16 21:51:14

No Jingle, we cannot give up hope of peace

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Sep-16 21:00:02

That is crass. They should have skipped it this year.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Sep-16 20:57:13

Oh you are joking?!

grannyactivist Tue 20-Sep-16 20:56:02

Sorry - should have said that the day in question is tomorrow, the 21st September.

grannyactivist Tue 20-Sep-16 20:55:18

Some of you may remember that on this day each year I wear my white 'peace poppy'. Does anyone else mark the day?
www.un.org/en/events/peaceday/index.shtml