Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy and the future

(449 Posts)
yggdrasil Mon 26-Sep-16 13:20:26

That's it. Jeremy has won the leadership challenge with an even larger majority. Now can we please get down to opposing the Tories austerity measures that have nearly destroyed all our welfare society.
I don't think he is 'unelectable'! Listening to Radio Somerset this morning (not exactly a Labour area) the majority of callers were delighted. There were a few who quoted the media and seemed to think it was the end of the country, but most were saying they now had something to vote for at last.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8os-nKuoM3o

nigglynellie Sat 01-Oct-16 16:30:04

Please don't patronise me dd by telling me to 'read up' on any particular subject. I don't remember likening the national budget with a household one, and even if I did, I am allowed my opinion with your sarcasm. I would have thought that voicing concerns about the funding of such sweeping political aspirations perfectly legitimate, particularly in these difficult financial times.

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 16:47:17

ah, the sneering of the 'intellectual' left is alive and kicking I see DD do give it up.

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 16:48:41

half the country, probably far more, would be running scared if they thought Corbyn was going to be PM any time soon.

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 17:05:13

No point in posting except to say that it sounds as if some regular posters have been called into the headmistress's office for a rap over the knuckles with a proverbial ruler
shock

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 17:10:17

grin yes, Jalima my thoughts exactly.

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 17:10:34

Have they? confused

You mean they'd be even worse if they hadn't...?

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 22:13:24

Well, as no one has enlightened me, I can only assume that I'm the only one who hasn't had their knuckles rapped.

Quite right too!

Anniebach Sat 01-Oct-16 22:25:35

You can assume what you wish Ana, do tell though, if anyone has how do you think all who post know the answer and you could be wrong anyway

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 22:28:52

Speaking for myself, I aways carry a large ruler around, one never knows when one may need it.smile

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 22:29:36

Eh?

What on earth are you on about Annie? What is it I'm supposed to have 'assumed'?

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 22:32:14

You sound rather defensive Annie. Hope your knuckles are OK.

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 22:38:36

Gransnet Paranoia strikes again!

petra Sat 01-Oct-16 22:42:27

Shush. Enjoy the peace.

Anniebach Sat 01-Oct-16 22:54:24

Ana, you said you can only assume you are the only one etc, I just said you can assume what you want. If anything is going on I wouldn't be told anyway .

My knuckles are painful,wretched arthritis has flared up, thanks for asking

Anniebach Sat 01-Oct-16 22:55:12

Aw what is going on? Or is this s private joke?

trisher Sat 01-Oct-16 23:37:53

I'm wearing thick winter gloves for protection!!

daphnedill Sat 01-Oct-16 23:56:22

I don't understand why some Conservatives support the return of grammar schools in order to raise attainment? I find it quite strange that if people have a decent education and bother to find out about 'stuff', they then get sneered at for being an 'intellectual'. Bizarre!

rosesarered Sun 02-Oct-16 09:01:11

No idea why the Government is pursuing the Grammar school 'drive' just at the moment, on balance I don't like the idea, even though I went to a girl's grammar school myself, I think that aged eleven is too young to think you have failed, as many of my friends thought at the time( I was also upset to lose them to another school) but think
This whole thing needs a lot of thought.
There is plenty of left wing intellectual sneering going on, in RL in the media and sometimes on here.Nothing to do with learning 'stuff' it's simply an attitude.

Ana Sun 02-Oct-16 10:00:57

I haven't noticed mention of being 'an intellectual' on here, but there have been several instances of those disagreeing with the left's view being told they should read up on the subject before they contribute to the discussion.

dramatictessa Sun 02-Oct-16 10:10:57

What's wrong with reading up on something and finding out the facts? Don't think people should be 'told' to do it though.

Ana Sun 02-Oct-16 10:26:27

Quite.

trisher Sun 02-Oct-16 10:48:43

The Grammar school idea is firmly aimed at those who would like a private education but can no longer afford one. Costs for private ed have increased substantially. A large number of parents will spend money on private tuition to get their child into a Grammar school, but can't afford to pay all the time. Add a few well chosen words about helping poorer children and you have a policy that even makes people feel better about the whole thing.

durhamjen Sun 02-Oct-16 12:01:38

Even better if they get a token poor child into the grammar school.