Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy and the future

(449 Posts)
yggdrasil Mon 26-Sep-16 13:20:26

That's it. Jeremy has won the leadership challenge with an even larger majority. Now can we please get down to opposing the Tories austerity measures that have nearly destroyed all our welfare society.
I don't think he is 'unelectable'! Listening to Radio Somerset this morning (not exactly a Labour area) the majority of callers were delighted. There were a few who quoted the media and seemed to think it was the end of the country, but most were saying they now had something to vote for at last.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8os-nKuoM3o

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 15:34:12

The investment in our infrastructure will help expand the economy and bring in revenue. Revenue that is intended to reduce the debt. However by expanding the economy and thereby producing greater GDP per capita will of itself reduce the %debt to GDP. Win win.

daphnedill Sat 01-Oct-16 15:32:57

@niggly

That's why you should try reading up on the subject, rather than accepting that the national economy can be run like a household budget.

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 15:31:40

He intends to borrow it, of course, and to hell with the consequences! Jam today...

daphnedill Sat 01-Oct-16 15:31:38

roses,

As you have a Conservative agenda, I guess it's understandable that you snipe at every opportunity. You'd really be running scared, if you thought the Labour Party was in with a chance of being elected.

nigglynellie Sat 01-Oct-16 15:30:09

Exactly my sentiments too Hannah, but how it's to be paid for?! Well,that's the rub!!

daphnedill Sat 01-Oct-16 15:29:04

True, but he's said how he'll pay for it.

The Conservatives are spending more...for nothing.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 01-Oct-16 15:25:57

JC's policies remind me a lot of the hippy stuff of the 70s. I was a hippy too and believed in all of that. Then you grow up and realise it all has to be paid for.... somehow.

Anniebach Sat 01-Oct-16 12:46:37

Seems some good labour MP's are faced with either de selection or losing their seats in the next election .

I watched the closing of the labour conference, embarrassing, not a scrap of dignity one sees at the closing of all party conferences . Always been the deputy leader makes the closing speech , this was followed by the leader and shadow cabinet / cabinet on stage singing the Red Flag and Jerusalem .

Not this year, Corbyn gave the closing speech and was then joined on stage by God knows who , they sang the Red Flag and did that pumping of fist in the air , no Jeruselem , it looked suited for a ralley

There was a big change in the seating from Wednesday to Thursday , a lot of regular conference members didn't turn up on Thursday , or many MP's this never happened previously , it was a shambles , lacked dignity and order , yuck

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 12:27:16

It's not just Boston though, is it, Labour ( under Corbyn) is not popular in some of the Northern towns now, and Scotland is already a lost cause.

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 12:24:16

Why not just accept deletions from GNHQ and move on.

trisher Sat 01-Oct-16 08:04:35

REpost of post deleted for breaking GH guidelines
Anniebach exactly the same arguments were used about the Jewish community in the East End, that they were taking jobs and housing, in spite of the fact that many of them lived in real poverty.
Yes housing is a problem, yes unemployment and zero hours contracts are a problem but you should surely be standing with those who blame the Tory government for this and not with the likes of (name of right wing organisation deleted on GN instructions)
The Labour party needs to remember its true policies and begin to speak out with one voice, blaming the real culprits and acting as a rallying voice for those who recognise that the poor and the underprivileged, no matter where they come from, all suffer under right wing governments.

Apparently and I quote
"We don't think it's fair to assume or present as fact the political sympathies of another user"

So why haven't all the accusations about Corbynistas and people being members of Momentum been deleted?

One can only assume some political bias

Play nicely children GN is watching!

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-16 23:27:29

But Corbyn is the Labour party is he not? Momentum thinks so

durhamjen Fri 30-Sep-16 23:19:10

You don't canvass for Corbyn, you canvass for the Labour party.

Boston has had a Tory since the 1990s. So they didn't even manage to do well when Blair was in power.
In fact, it could be heading for a UKIP MP.

rosesarered Fri 30-Sep-16 23:01:17

Perhaps he should go there?

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-16 22:59:40

It will take a brave person to canvass for Corbyn in Boston

rosesarered Fri 30-Sep-16 22:21:41

Interesting post TerriBull I had to miss QT for the last couple of weeks.

durhamjen Fri 30-Sep-16 19:47:27

That's what used to happen, according to Jeremy Corbyn, but the government stopped that when they came to power.

daphnedill Fri 30-Sep-16 19:19:09

As the immigrants in Boston are nearly all working and presumably paying taxes and NI, why isn't some of that money paid to the area, to build more schools and provide more hospital beds and GPs?

A few pages back, I linked to a lengthy report about the true situation in Boston. Yes, there are extra pressures on services, but there's also been underinvestment.

When the report was written (in 2014 I think), there were 10,000 employed EU immigrants and 1,300 registered unemployed. If all the immigrants left, who would do the work?

durhamjen Fri 30-Sep-16 18:33:03

Questiontime factchecked.

fullfact.org/bbcqt/2016/Sep/29

TerriBull Fri 30-Sep-16 18:20:49

I don't know if anyone watched Question Time last night it came from Boston, Lincs, which as everyone knows voted overwhelmingly "out" back in June. Bonnie Greer was one of the panelists, whilst making some good points that man has always had the tendency to migrate, nevertheless given the palpable consensus in the audience that Bostonians felt they had been overwhelmed,she did concede that it seemed that Boston had just been left to "get on with it". Someone referred to Mary Beard a while back and if I remember rightly she was also a panelist on QT sometime ago, again from Boston when it had possibly just become evident that the town's infrastucture was beginning to suffer due to the size of the influx. Mary Beard, if I remember rightly put a very positive spin on immigration. One of the audience was a nurse (2nd generation Polish) made the point that the local hospital was struggling to cope as were local GPs. Similarly a woman in the audience yesterday said that her daughter had to be bused out of town a good few miles to go to school, also making the point that her local school was a stones throw away. The frustration that locals feel with high profile personalties/politicians who don't understand local issues was very evident. Possibly it would be a good idea if politicians who believe in mass movement without restriction lived in places such as Boston that have been overwhelmed so they can experience the pressure first hand. The Westminster bubble across the political spectrum at times display an almost feudal system attitude in the way they treat the masses, akin to the disdain the Barons had for their serfs, but we aren't living in the 12th century anymore. The "serfs" have a vote and they weren't afraid to use it.

Politicians of all persuasions cannot afford to be that out of touch with the electorate. Jeremy Corbin's desire to have a parity of income throughout Europe is of course a good one, but realistically how achievable is that likely to be when countries such as Bulgaria, Romania earn around 40% of the national average wage here? It's quite possible, in time, that those countries will catch up, but it won't be overnight, meanwhile the draw to richer Western Europe is inevitable. Jack Straw has said in retrospect he is of the opinion that immigration over the past few years was
too rapid and too great. It is also now widely acknowledged that wage supression was also a factor in the "out" vote in certain areas, although if I remember rightly there was a lot of denial on that issue at the outset.

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-16 17:47:56

There was a German POW camp here, quite a few stayed here after the war , married local girls , no problems and we have three army camps here too, some of the Germans worked in the army camps , choice, the war was over

trisher Fri 30-Sep-16 17:47:11

Jalima isn't it funny how cutting part of a post can change the meaning completely. I went on to say "whilst they successfully destroy public services"
Blaming someone else for the situation has always been a good ploy. Hitler blamed the Jews for the huge inflation in Germany.

This government blames immigrants and encourages others to do the same, but look at school places. The real reason their is a shortage is because Gove cut money from LEAs and gave it to fund Free schools

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-16 17:45:13

So do I Daphne, squabbles should be left in the school playground

Ana Fri 30-Sep-16 17:44:10

You actually admit to doing it...? shock

durhamjen Fri 30-Sep-16 17:40:50

We get told off for doing that, daphne.
Moving on....