Gransnet forums

News & politics

Richard Murphy's proposals for running the economy

(177 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 27-Sep-16 11:07:33

I'm a great fan of Richard Murphy. In his blog yesterday he set out his ideas on how the UK economy could/should be run

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/09/26/if-labour-is-to-win-there-is-only-one-way-to-do-it-and-thats-to-be-bold/

Please forget the association with Labour, just think of them as ideas for a new direction for the economy. What I am interested in is whether ideas like his would influence the way you would vote and what your reaction to them is.

Any takers?

durhamjen Thu 17-Nov-16 13:39:35

What did they become?

daphnedill Thu 17-Nov-16 13:09:28

Labour's aim was for 50% to attend university. Why couldn't the other 50% have become skilled tradespeople?

grannypiper Thu 17-Nov-16 09:04:56

Ana i agree, our lack of trademan is shocking.Within the next 10 years we will have a huge skills gap as every trade from scaffolders to lorry drivers retire, both of these industries and many others are in a panic over where they will recruit the amount of staff needed. This skills shortage has been caused by Labours push to send every child to university( no matter what their ability) and the lack of career guidance and pupils being made to feel inferior if they dont go and study for a degree even if it is in media studies.
As much as some hate to admit it we need the skilled tradesman of Europe to do the jobs our degree holders cant

durhamjen Wed 16-Nov-16 17:54:40

This will kill two birds with one stone.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/11/16/would-a-citizens-income-reduce-tax-abuse/

durhamjen Thu 10-Nov-16 22:55:22

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/11/10/naomi-klein-calls-for-a-green-new-deal/

durhamjen Mon 07-Nov-16 22:26:59

I am sure Richard Murphy will have something t6o say about this.

www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/07/treasury-tries-to-thwart-eu-plans-for-tax-haven-blacklist

durhamjen Sat 15-Oct-16 11:25:12

Right, I understand now.

I don't have a spiraliser. Do you think if I bought one it would affect the economy, or would I have to buy lots of them as presents for the family?

theconversation.com/brexit-how-a-single-word-became-the-most-powerful-rhetorical-device-in-a-generation-66871

A headache inducing article about the word Brexit.

Tegan Sat 15-Oct-16 10:19:55

Going back to page one and the comment about how clever marketing makes us want and buy things that we didn't realise we wanted/needed, and in fact didn't want or need. I could compared that to brexit (one of the most successfully marketed things in the history of marketing) as well but I won't as it will annoy some people!

durhamjen Fri 14-Oct-16 22:31:00

Wrong thread, Tegan?

Tegan Fri 14-Oct-16 22:05:49

Nandalot; I'm in awe. You've used your spiralizer two times more than I have mine (still it's box!).....

durhamjen Fri 14-Oct-16 17:17:33

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/10/14/we-need-markets-we-need-to-end-market-abuse/

I can agree with Murphy on this. We do not need markets in anything that should be public, like utilities, land registry and the railways.

durhamjen Fri 14-Oct-16 17:12:46

Sorry POGS, but I do not see why I can't like Murphy and Corbyn at the same time.
They both have ideas which appeal to my sense of fairness and equality.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/10/14/job-opportunity-tax-research/
Just in case anyone knows anyone who wants a job.

daphnedill Fri 14-Oct-16 11:25:41

Websites such as GN and Richard Murphy's blog are highly unlikely to pass a virus on to a computer. I sometimes find that anything with Flash causes my PC to run slowly, but not my laptop. That's because my PC is stone age and the latest version of plug-ins like Flash uses more memory than I can spare. The laptop is relatively new and doesn't have a problem with the latest updates.

daphnedill Fri 14-Oct-16 11:20:35

Murphy is a Quaker, so setting himself up as a Messiah would be the last thing he'd do! To be fair to him, he didn't ever set himself up as a tsar or guru either.

Murphy's been writing his blog for a lot longer than Corbyn has been Labour Party leader. He's an accountant turned academic, who understand economics better then most politicians seem to do. His blog is about his ideas and musings, backed up with statistical evidence. It was the Labour Party which picked up on his ideas and asked for help.

MaizieD Fri 14-Oct-16 11:01:28

@POGS Your post isn't really written in any way which would prompt anyone to answer, is it? What's with all this 'fawning over' business?

And the word is 'Messiah'

POGS Fri 14-Oct-16 10:52:55

I find it fascinating that for quite a while Murphy was hailed as Corbyn's economics tzar , even by some GN posters who over a fair period of time have fawned over their connections in many posts and on various threads. The two men and McDonnell have been inextricably linked by a handful of posters . Paul Mason too whom Murphy speaks of.

What do you feel about the apparent 'fall out'. 'Love loss' between the two (or 3 if you count Mc Donnell).

As Durhamjen likes to promote 'taxresearch' (Murphy) in her choice of links I will do the same.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/07/17/the-rise-and-fall-of-corbyns-economics/

Extract from Murphy

"Third, I had the opportunity to see what was happening inside the PLP. The leadership wasn’t confusing as much as just silent. There was no policy direction, no messaging, no direction, no co-ordination, no nothing. Shadow ministers appeared to have been left with no direction as to what to do. It was shambolic. The leadership usually couldn’t even get a press release out on time to meet print media deadlines and then complained they got no coverage."

"Vision is about knowing what goes in something’s place and this is what I cannot see coming from Momentum or supporters like Paul Mason, whose book Post Capitalism in many ways typifies anti-visionary thinking by offering nothing of substance at the end of a long analysis."

"It would be easy to write more: if anyone had shadow ministers would have had a clue what they were meant to be doing. But no one offered anything like that. There was no idea what policy was for, no big ideas and so not many small ones either. The result was a mess and that’s because it seems like Corbynism is an empty shell that opposes capitalism for the sake of the oppressed but has no clue as to what to yet in its place. And that’s not responsible, it’s not electable and it’s not going to work."

As this is written by Murphy himself I really do not understand how posters who have/do fawn over Richard Murphy and Corbyn alike as the Meesias of our time can believe both are still worth giving loyalty to. One is calling the other incapable , has no confidence in him. Then again so did the PLP but they were all wrong too in some peoples eyes.

Which one is right?

durhamjen Fri 14-Oct-16 00:12:09

Daphne, a good website I've just discovered.

www.transparency.org.uk/

durhamjen Fri 14-Oct-16 00:03:04

This is going to be interesting.

www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/13/properties-seized-assets-corrupt-cash-crackdown-criminal-finances-bill-tax-haven

It might bring house prices down.

Jalima Sun 02-Oct-16 12:13:45

Gransnet does seem to be slower than some other sites I find.

I may try to google it separately, not use the link.
Just running a virus chekc to be on the safe side.

durhamjen Sun 02-Oct-16 12:10:04

Sorry about that. Mine's okay, I've just checked.
However, I have noticed that gransnet sometimes crashes if I allow Adobe Flash.

Jalima Sun 02-Oct-16 12:06:48

Obviously with the dinosaurs. grin

Richard Murphy has crashed my pc two or three times when I have tried to look at the link. Is there a virus? Anyone else got a problem?
I have a good virus checker too.

durhamjen Sun 02-Oct-16 11:57:37

Another area where Richard Murphy is right.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/10/02/no-one-has-a-fiduciary-duty-to-not-pay-tax-including-donald-trump/

It applies to this country as well as the US.
Not even Cameron put it quite as crassly as Trump.

durhamjen Sun 02-Oct-16 11:52:37

Still paperboys and girls up here. Obviously with the dinosaurs.

Jalima Sun 02-Oct-16 10:59:43

Just shows how little you know about me!
We only know what you choose to show us on here ddil which may be entirely different to the person you are in RL.
It could be an insight into who you are or what makes you tick, or it could be entirely fabricated, as could any of our online persona.
In RL you could be my lovely and charming next door neighbour for all I know, people can become anything they like when they are anonymous online.

Jalima Sun 02-Oct-16 10:54:34

I get the guardian delivered
That is one of the most astonishing posts on here whitewave

I thought paper boys and girls had disappeared with the dinosaurs (well, in the last few years anyway!)
My DC earned themselves extra pocket money delivering papers before school or at weekends for years.