Gransnet forums

News & politics

Steven Woolfe MEP leaves Ukip

(46 Posts)
Iam64 Mon 17-Oct-16 20:11:31

I've just watched Steven Woolfe being interviewed on BBC News at 8pm. He's the potential leadership contender who hit his head when he fell, after a disagreement with a fellow Ukip MEP. The row seemed to result from Mr Woolfe acknowledging that he'd considered leaving Ukip and joining the conservatives. Mr Woolfe collapsed minutes after this incident, suffered a bleed to the brain and was hospitalised for 4 days. His assailant and the rest of the party seemed to me to minimise this incident, which was described as 'handbags'.

I found the interview painful to watch, Mr Woolfe seemed traumatised, emotional, tearful, physically and psychologically shattered frankly. He expressed his own belief that Ukip is finished unless it can find a strong leader. A mess of course but if this incident had happened in the HoC, I suspect the police would have investigated, whether or not Mr Woolfe made a formal complaint. What a mess.

Iam64 Wed 19-Oct-16 15:42:37

i didn't mind so much the broken promise on tuition fees, which I'd seen as a bit of a nonsense from a party who'd never be in power so the promise was meaningless. My real issue with the lindens remains their support for the bedroom tax, something they abandoned the minute the coalition ended.
Like you, I wish the libdems had left Cameron with a small majority and joined other opposition parties in keeping the government in check. Still, we are as they say, where we are ?

daphnedill Wed 19-Oct-16 09:43:10

Errr, no, niggly. I don't wish anything. I don't really care how posterity thinks about Theresa May. Her performance so far hasn't been strong and she was a terrible Home Secretary. To be fair to her, she's on a hiding to nothing with Brexit.

daphnedill Wed 19-Oct-16 09:38:49

I agree with you, Iam64. It's a shame he's seen as selling out to the Tories. With hindsight, I wonder how much he regrets it. The Tories could have formed a minority government and the LibDems could have voted against them, when it suited them. Next year's local shire elections could be interesting. I doubt if Labour will make any inroads in the shires, but the LDs might, given all the cuts to local services.

Iam64 Wed 19-Oct-16 08:43:07

daphnedill - it's difficult not to acknowledge that the LibDems did hold Cameron's tory government back from some of the even worse attacks on public/health services once the need for coalition had gone. Clegg does know what he's talking about in relation to the EU and was as good a party leader as we've seen in recent years.

nigglynellie Wed 19-Oct-16 08:41:42

Your post ref Mrs May - 18th October.

nigglynellie Wed 19-Oct-16 08:39:24

You wish dd!

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 23:29:08

Sorry .libs, boring was the wrong word, he just doesn't strir the listener .

I most certainly don't think my party's leader talks sense rosesarered grin

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 23:29:06

Nick Clegg has been a revelation in recent months. He is a very good speaker, even if you don't agree with him. He is possibly the only MP who really does know what he's talking about with reference to the EU. Ironically, he's guaranteed a job, probably for the rest of his working life, as a negotiator.

Tegan Tue 18-Oct-16 23:19:34

Tim Farron does talk sense. As does Nick Clegg. I am not a LibDem voter. One shouldn't blindly believe what their 'own' political party says but keep an open mind.

rosesarered Tue 18-Oct-16 22:57:15

That wasn't a post to you personally Varian btw.

rosesarered Tue 18-Oct-16 22:56:21

It's funny how your own political party leaders 'make sense' while all the rest spout rubbish, isn't it? grin It's a little something I have noticed.

varian Tue 18-Oct-16 21:45:20

Annie I don't agree that Tim Farron is boring but I am a Libdem so I would say that. Tim talks sense. Most of the media's favourite politicians -Farage, Boris, George Galloway, Gove, etc talk rubbish.

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 20:34:27

Yes Ana, for the very first time I have problems, I have decided I will not canvass , this would be dishonest when I have no trust in Corbyn , have cavassed at every election for fifty years , telephone and door knocking in several constituencies , feel so sad about it , have thought of voting Plaid Cymru , but when it comes polling day ?

Ana Tue 18-Oct-16 20:12:50

Exactly, Annie - I never thought anything else!

Although you're going to have difficulty voting Labour in a general election if Corbyn's still leader, aren't you? grin

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 20:09:12

Not that we were suddenly going to turn Tory Ana, it was a lighthearted response to my lighthearted post, it's all so gloomy why not some lightness

Ana Tue 18-Oct-16 20:01:09

Although Iam64 did say she agreed with Annie about TM, which would indicate a certain degree of approval!

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 19:56:00

OK Iam64. I understand. It's sometimes difficult to detect irony in a forum.

whitewave Tue 18-Oct-16 19:33:41

Her record in the home office is abysmal, she even failed on her own terms

Iam64 Tue 18-Oct-16 19:20:16

daphnedill, I don't think we do forget she's a tory. It's a bit of sisterly irony and clear reminder that we are not, whatever we may be, ever going to vote tory.

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 19:04:14

Iam, I have four siblings ,three have left the party , a nephew told me his little sons hamster would make a better leader !

BlueBelle Tue 18-Oct-16 19:00:02

Teresa May does make me want to throw things at the tv and Farage is a monster Johnson an idiot in fact I give up with thevlot of them

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 18:47:49

How on earth can you forget that Theresa May is a Tory? I agree there isn't much of an alternative, but I suspect she will go down in history as one of the most incompetent PMs ever. Her record as Home Secretary is not positive.

Iam64 Tue 18-Oct-16 18:25:43

yes that's a good typo anniebach - I wonder though, what will happen now that Steven Woolfe has made a complaint to the police.
Anniebach, I think we're doomed because I find myself agreeing with you about Theresa May. One of my sisters keeps reminding the other sisters that - "she is a * tory you know".....

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 09:06:14

I guess you meant pleasant ~lol~. I agree with you.

PS. Sorry to pick you up on the typo, but it amused me.

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 09:03:56

I forgot her , she is peasant and interesting to listen to