Gransnet forums

News & politics

Steven Woolfe MEP leaves Ukip

(45 Posts)
Iam64 Mon 17-Oct-16 20:11:31

I've just watched Steven Woolfe being interviewed on BBC News at 8pm. He's the potential leadership contender who hit his head when he fell, after a disagreement with a fellow Ukip MEP. The row seemed to result from Mr Woolfe acknowledging that he'd considered leaving Ukip and joining the conservatives. Mr Woolfe collapsed minutes after this incident, suffered a bleed to the brain and was hospitalised for 4 days. His assailant and the rest of the party seemed to me to minimise this incident, which was described as 'handbags'.

I found the interview painful to watch, Mr Woolfe seemed traumatised, emotional, tearful, physically and psychologically shattered frankly. He expressed his own belief that Ukip is finished unless it can find a strong leader. A mess of course but if this incident had happened in the HoC, I suspect the police would have investigated, whether or not Mr Woolfe made a formal complaint. What a mess.

Anniebach Mon 17-Oct-16 20:34:58

I watched his interview too, he did seem traumatised .

nigglynellie Mon 17-Oct-16 20:37:56

Not sure he'll get much sympathy on here, but I saw the interview and couldn't help but feel sorry for Mr Woolfe. Obviously a very frightening experience which has left this poor man very tearful and traumatised. UKIP is a mess that's for sure and frankly I hope it dies a death.

M0nica Mon 17-Oct-16 21:02:00

UKIP has always been dependent on one man, Farage. Every time he resigns, the party collapses and he has to come back.

I think the problem is that UKIP is a political party of people with widely divergent political views, apart for their desire for Brexit. As a result on every other issue they need to agree on (Education, Health, Defence) to be a party with a future, they completely disagree and divide into factions all fighting each other.

Hopefully they will soon fall apart completely and become history.

NotTooOld Mon 17-Oct-16 21:27:51

Poor old Woolfe, you have to feel sorry for him. Did anyone else get the impression, from what he said, that he had been knocked down, rather than just fell down?

DaphneBroon Mon 17-Oct-16 21:35:35

Is there anybody left in UKIP?
Could last one to go turn out the lights?

NotTooOld Mon 17-Oct-16 21:47:17

Daphne grin

I think someone else has left since Woolfie. Not sure who, but it was on the early news. Perhaps s/he turned out the lights before he locked the door.

Anniebach Mon 17-Oct-16 21:58:54

Neil Hamilton is determined to be leader, Farage is determined Hamilton will not be

NotTooOld Mon 17-Oct-16 22:03:10

Good for Farage, then. Hamilton is a creep. Am I allowed to say that?

nigglynellie Mon 17-Oct-16 22:27:05

Yes!!!

Anniebach Mon 17-Oct-16 23:31:50

Ymlusgo grin

suzied Tue 18-Oct-16 02:33:27

Farage has been out campaigning for Trump ( fingers odown throat.) Says it all really. Let's hope this is the end of UKIP.

BlueBelle Tue 18-Oct-16 06:36:34

They are all awful people, our local UKIP big noise has just resigned too

Not sure that Wolfe did suffer a bleed on the brain Iam64 I believe I read that it was suspected but he didn't actually have any bleeding on the brain or any clots

Iam64 Tue 18-Oct-16 07:37:47

Maybe he didn't have a bleed BlueBelle (I didn't check my fact/suppositions) . He did collapse outside immediately after the incident, he had a couple of fits and a few days in hospital.
I agree that Ukip is an awful creation and the fact Farage has been to the US to campaign for Mr Trump says it all as suzied says.
Notooold - he was punched, fell backwards and knocked his head. In an interview this morning, he says he has now reported the incident to the police because his assailant accuses Woolfe of making it all up.

It makes me thankful for Theresa May!

nigglynellie Tue 18-Oct-16 07:40:50

On Newsnight a spokesman from UKIP implied that the altercation (?!) was six of one! Who knows? perhaps who cares?! Hopefully as a party, that's the end of them.

Iam64 Tue 18-Oct-16 07:56:58

nigglynellie I didn't see Newsnight but I did read they had a row because the assailant (sorry, can't recall his name) was angry that Woolfe talked about possibly defecting to the tories. The argument reached the point where the men agreed to take off their jackets and sort it out, outside. You couldn't make it up, could you. Men elected to represent us in Europe, whose only purpose is to get us out of Europe, being paid large salaries to flounce about like boys at a primary school.

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 08:39:53

I am no Tory , yes a surprise for some - but Theresa May is the only leader who doesn't make me want to throw things at the tv , not because of her politics but she has dignity

Sturgeon is turning into Miss Trunchbull

Leanne Wood is in lala land

Farron is boring

Farage yuck

Corbyn !

Christinefrance Tue 18-Oct-16 08:40:56

You are so right Iam64, why are we paying exorbitant salaries to such idiots.
UKIP has served it's purpose now it's time to go. Please no more Farrage or Hamilton.

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 08:43:48

If it comes to Farage or Hamilton, then Farage please what is it

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 08:57:30

What do you have against Caroline Lucas?

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 09:03:56

I forgot her , she is peasant and interesting to listen to

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 09:06:14

I guess you meant pleasant ~lol~. I agree with you.

PS. Sorry to pick you up on the typo, but it amused me.

Iam64 Tue 18-Oct-16 18:25:43

yes that's a good typo anniebach - I wonder though, what will happen now that Steven Woolfe has made a complaint to the police.
Anniebach, I think we're doomed because I find myself agreeing with you about Theresa May. One of my sisters keeps reminding the other sisters that - "she is a * tory you know".....

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 18:47:49

How on earth can you forget that Theresa May is a Tory? I agree there isn't much of an alternative, but I suspect she will go down in history as one of the most incompetent PMs ever. Her record as Home Secretary is not positive.

BlueBelle Tue 18-Oct-16 19:00:02

Teresa May does make me want to throw things at the tv and Farage is a monster Johnson an idiot in fact I give up with thevlot of them