Gransnet forums

News & politics

Council Tax - why do seniors have to pay the full amount?

(158 Posts)
Spot Thu 20-Oct-16 14:46:20

I think the policy of allowing a 50% reduction in Council Tax for disabled people, even if they work full time, yet allowing no reduction for people in receipt of State Retirement Pension is appalling.

What do you think?

sharkgirl Fri 21-Oct-16 10:43:21

We get a reduction on council tax (a band drop) because my husband uses one of our bedrooms to do his peritoneal dialysis (4 x a day). The only other help we get is our bins are fetched, emptied and returned. It's not means tested and shouldn't be either.

marpau Fri 21-Oct-16 11:34:29

I don't think seniors should automatically get a reduction the present system of income based reduction is fair to all. I find since I retired I use more services such as swimming zumba pilates and adult learning that I didn't have time to do when working full time. Retirement would be very lonely without all these.

cc Fri 21-Oct-16 11:39:06

I'm sure that Luckygirl is right, it would be more expensive to means test for many of these benefits than to pay them to all pensioners.
My daughter is long-term disabled and at one stage did not pay council tax, but now has to pay a discounted rate which is far more than she could afford, so the Bank of Mum and Dad have had to take it on for her. I should add that she is constantly reassessed for her benefits and the forms that she has to complete are very long and fiddly. At one stage she got help with them and advice on all her problems and difficulties (for which she had to pay from her benefits) but now she gets less benefits and no help from anyone. Except advice from a nurse when she goes in for her regular injected medication who seems to have advised her that she would be better off not seeing us at all. Perhaps the nurse is willing and able to take on our role, involving both 24 hour telephone support and financial support?

Sorry, this has turned into a bitter rant!

gillgran Fri 21-Oct-16 11:47:17

I agree with all the interesting comments.

A note on child benefit ( Luckygirl ) it is not paid to higher wage earners.

-

Luckygirl Fri 21-Oct-16 11:50:31

It used to be - maybe I am behind the times.

allule Fri 21-Oct-16 12:30:25

Don't think you all need tin hats..it seems to be the majority view that need matters more than age.
I would willingly pay a bit more council tax to keep the services like home care that we are going to need.

Foxyferret Fri 21-Oct-16 12:47:14

Just a quick question. Does this 7 year thing apply from when they die or when they made a will? If the will was made years ago, how does this work?

kittylester Fri 21-Oct-16 12:53:39

I think child benefit is taxed and, therefore, might not be worth claiming for higher rate tax payers.

MaizieD Fri 21-Oct-16 12:53:44

What '7 year thing', ff?

Ana Fri 21-Oct-16 13:14:28

The 7 year rule applies from when the gift/transaction took place. They have to live for at least 7 years afterwards to avoid penalties such as Inheritance Tax.

cc Fri 21-Oct-16 13:21:14

People who (individually) earn more than £50,000 are no longer entitled to Child Benefit. However a couple who each earn £49,999 are still entitled. The whole system is quite barmy....

SueDonim Fri 21-Oct-16 13:22:26

I believe it is worth still claiming Child Benfit even if it is clawed back via the tax system, because any non-working parent will then get credited with NI contributions which will count towards their state pension. You can claim that until the child is 12yo.

MaizieD Fri 21-Oct-16 13:35:20

Well, that's what I thought Ff was referring to, Ana, but I couldn't connect it to any previous posts.

Ana Fri 21-Oct-16 13:51:19

Oh yes, I see what you mean. I think Foxyferret meant to post on the 'How much mney/Savings' thread.

Anya Fri 21-Oct-16 14:16:13

Totally agree radicalgran

Anya Fri 21-Oct-16 14:16:59

Meant radicalnan

Legs55 Fri 21-Oct-16 14:51:50

I am 61 & unable to work, I gave up work at 50 (early retirement from Civil Service) I am currently on Employment & Support Allowance (Income based) so they subtract my Pension from any Benefit. Fortunately I also get Personal Independence Payment (was Disability Living Allowance or DLA), to my surprise I was also awarded extra money as no-one claims Carers Allowance (first time I've been given a Benefit without asking) which is to cover expenses for care when I need it.

Prescriptions I haven't paid for since 2003 as I had an Exception Certificate (Epilepsy & now Diabetes Type 2)

NHS Dentist - don't pay because of Benefit. Eye Tests - always got vouchers from Boots - now free & voucher towards new glasses.

Downside of Pension Age rise is no Bus Pass but buy Senior Rail Card - 1 trip to Yorkshire from Devon - saving £50 smile

Don't pay Council Tax (Band A Property) & get Housing Benefit both which I had to apply for & prove Income & Savings.

I couldn't manage to live or pay my bills without my various Benefits - no wealthy Pensioner here (phoenix I might be coming to borrow helmet & flack jacket ) grin

Caretaker Fri 21-Oct-16 15:19:18

My sister who works in Waitrose tells me she can hear the pensioners coming to the check out long before she sees them, they are the one's with bottle after bottle of wine.
Most (not all) pensioners have inherited money and live the life of Reily.

DaphneBroon Fri 21-Oct-16 15:32:12

Well that is reassuring caretaker! confused
My bottles make no sound as the nice man in Waitrose usually gives me a box to put my bottles in, in my trolley. But remind me to chase up my inheritance, it seems to have gone AWOL.
Out of interest, what was Riley's life like?

Elegran Fri 21-Oct-16 16:37:13

I think Riley and co must all shop at Waitrose, db The pensioners at the Iceland and Lidl checkouts don't seem to have come into their inheritances yet.

Ana Fri 21-Oct-16 16:41:56

Caretaker, you do come out with some strange comments! grin

Spot Fri 21-Oct-16 17:14:18

Perhaps it's different local authorities then

Spot Fri 21-Oct-16 17:17:56

I wouldn't. I've worked most of my life,paid taxes, so I would expect to get something back now my earnings have dropped to Retirement Pension.

Spot Fri 21-Oct-16 17:20:44

Well, again it could be different local authorities, but I'm pretty sure when you get your State Retirement Pension you will get a free bus pass. I just got mine, and I was surprised. But I can only use it in England not Wales or Scotland

SueDonim Fri 21-Oct-16 17:21:31

I guess if your sister works in Waitrose she won't see all the pensioners in Aldi buying their meagre supplies of gruel, Caretaker. grin