Gransnet forums

News & politics

Council Tax - why do seniors have to pay the full amount?

(158 Posts)
Spot Thu 20-Oct-16 14:46:20

I think the policy of allowing a 50% reduction in Council Tax for disabled people, even if they work full time, yet allowing no reduction for people in receipt of State Retirement Pension is appalling.

What do you think?

Penstemmon Sun 23-Oct-16 09:37:40

If your income is above a certain level , pensioner/senior or not, pay the tax! If your income is low and entitles you to benefits use them!
The "debates"have been had time and again about fraudulent use of systems..which does happen but it is also a fact that a) many thousands of entitled benefits are not claimed & b) many wealthy people play the tax system too to 'avoid' paying as much as they could &/or illegally withold tax. Both are equally wrong.

Anya Sun 23-Oct-16 09:56:49

Absolutely Pen

There are dishonest/grabbing people at both ends of the social spectrum and doubtless in the middle too!

veronica2X5 Sun 23-Oct-16 11:01:31

Charleygirl, My husband was blind and h e had a Disabled Badge but so did I It was not easy for him to walk as he got older and stayed in the car whilst I shopped using my Disabled Badge.

Jalima Sun 23-Oct-16 14:12:15

My regularly used supermarkets are Morrison's, Lidl & Waitrose,
As we don't have a Morrison's, I use the above, but with Tesco and Asda thrown into the mix. grin
One of DS's cats will eat Lidl cat food, the other turns his nose up and only wants a well-known brand (found in Waitrose).
(let him go hungry, I say!)
DaphneB grin

Jalima Sun 23-Oct-16 14:28:55

Did you have the word 'cruelly' in your version of the story?

Sorry, daphnedil - you are quite right!! The word was cruel not cruelly in your link (not ^my version of the story^).

I'm sorry that Ms Bishop has been caught by a strange and cruel quirk of the benefit system that means the decision to live with her new partner has cost her £900 each month in benefits.

By the way, have you done a survey? If you do decide to run one, could you include mindless bullying as one of the options?
You could try the political threads if a survey needs to be done; I won't, thanks, too depressing, but the results could be very interesting.

rigby sorry too if you are confused.
However, if someone mentions something they have read, for another poster to say Oh for goodness' sake! just sounds impatient, as I said, and might put some posters off contributing more, much the same as they desert the political threads.

Jalima Sun 23-Oct-16 14:34:53

Badenkate I had no idea that there would be difference in cost between areas for dental plans! How strange.

There is a difference in cost between fuel in our Tesco and another one in the nearest large town 20 miles away where it is a fair bit cheaper - strange again, as the more rural communities are the ones who have to travel furthest to amenities, hospital etc. Food items are also more expensive in our local Tesco than the one in the larger town.
So, in fact, the city dwellers are getting a discount.

Gaggi3 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:51:01

We are not rich, but we are better off that I ever expected in retirement. I don't object in the least to paying taxes,because the services we need, the NHS,, Education, Fire. Police, Ambulance, Road Maintenance, Rubbish Collection, Recycling and so many more, don't run on fresh air. I just hope they, the taxes, do help those who need it, and aren't wasted by inefficiency. Our winter fuel payment is given to charity.