Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blair meddling again

(128 Posts)
jollyg Fri 28-Oct-16 12:23:51

I rarely venture into this thread, but Blair putting his oar into what was a democratic vote for brexit exasperates me.

He made his millions,caused the deaths of many in the Middle East, why does he not just go away, and annoy his wife,cherie, or push the pram of his new grandchild.

Welshwife Fri 28-Oct-16 15:59:49

May being the operative word there - none of us do but if you follow the current polls the vote might well have been different - if those who were denied the vote for whatever reason wanted to vote leave they would not now need to be complaining!

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 16:15:56

Current polls mean nothing though - hindsight's a wonderful thing, as they say!

GillT57 Fri 28-Oct-16 17:39:03

Although I appreciate that I will have to accept the result of the referendum, I do wish that people would stop referring to it as if it was some massive victory; it wasn't. What I would like to see though, is some democratic input from our elected representatives, i.e. our constituency MPs as to how the procedure takes place. If this is what Tony Blair is talking about then I really don't see why people are getting all fussed up. He is entitled to his opinion, whatever we all think of him. I do though, wonder if the lack of House of Commons involvement is because some may have changed their mind ( or got the wrong result, as in BoJo).

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 17:47:13

And I wish people would stop referring to it as though it was some massive con-trick; it wasn't.

Anniebach Fri 28-Oct-16 18:05:32

The government refuses to tell parliment if there has been an agreement ! With Nissan , this is wrong

Blair said we should have s general election, good grief has he joined the Tory party

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 18:07:36

I thought he just wanted another EU Referendum...confused

magpie123 Fri 28-Oct-16 18:09:57

There won't be another EU referendum or a general election. Thank you Theresa May.
As for Remainers being upset by being called Remoaners well if the hat fits.

Welshwife Fri 28-Oct-16 18:12:07

I don't think any of us can be sure of anything at the moment -

Anniebach Fri 28-Oct-16 18:22:53

A referendum or s general election Ana

Anniebach Fri 28-Oct-16 18:25:36

I voted to remain and I am not moaning, just thankful no one can say I was on the same side as IKIP

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 18:29:11

I said 'another EU Referendum', Annie...confused

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 18:29:41

I read the live commentary on Sky, and that's what he said.

Anniebach Fri 28-Oct-16 18:38:36

Yes Ana I know you did and I replied thst he also said - or a general election

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 18:40:27

Oh, sorry, crossed wires there - yes either would suit him I suppose! Preferably both...

Anniebach Fri 28-Oct-16 18:47:54

It may suit him but not me Ana

Rigby46 Sat 29-Oct-16 00:07:42

Use of the word 'remoaner' is quite simply childish and pathetic.

Liz46 Sat 29-Oct-16 07:37:45

Has anyone read the book about Tony Blair 'Broken Vows'?

It is depressing and it would seem that Mr Blair did not study problems but threw money at them but always made sure his speech writers showed him in a good light.

I have not heard of him taking the author to court over the book content.

I have a new facebook friend who I don't know terribly well but when I looked at his home page, he has a photo of Tony Blair holding a placard which reads 'I should be in prison'.

f77ms Sat 29-Oct-16 07:57:28

Blair did a lot of good while he was in power , sadly he is only remembered for the war .

Ceesnan Sat 29-Oct-16 08:04:13

You say that the use of the word is 'childish and pathetic' Rigby46. Is it any more so to call those who voted to leave thick or uneducated? Both sides have traded insults, and I have seen the term 'Remoaners' used in various publications. Rather a special snowflake perhaps?

Rigby46 Sat 29-Oct-16 09:15:54

So because one side uses insults, the other side can as well? As I said, childish and pathetic and not remotely funny regardless of what other publications have used it - doesn't make it any funnier. What's with the snowflake?

daphnedill Sat 29-Oct-16 09:37:37

I thought I'd left the playground behind when I retired. Calling people names is childish and pathetic, as is saying that you can say something because somebody else did. People have tried to have proper, grown up discussions, but too often they are hijacked.

Anniebach Sat 29-Oct-16 09:43:09

Yes f77, he did much good

nigglynellie Sat 29-Oct-16 10:17:24

Very true, but you can't say so ab!!

Anniebach Sat 29-Oct-16 10:20:44

True niggly, so true. To say Blair brought in the minimum wage is showing support for the Iraq war

whitewave Sat 29-Oct-16 10:28:51

The problem and sad thing is, is that the country is totally split. The vote was not a large majority and it represents almost certainly 50% of the country who disagree with leaving.

This means of course that neither side can claim that it was overwhelming one way or the other. The political class were overwhelmingly for remain however, and although they must (largely Labour voters) take the Brexiters into account, they will be alarmed at the possibility of a hard Brexit, and of course will continually argue their case against such a move.

This seems eminently sensible to me as the vote shows that both sides must compromise in order to begin to mend fences.