Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blair meddling again

(128 Posts)
jollyg Fri 28-Oct-16 12:23:51

I rarely venture into this thread, but Blair putting his oar into what was a democratic vote for brexit exasperates me.

He made his millions,caused the deaths of many in the Middle East, why does he not just go away, and annoy his wife,cherie, or push the pram of his new grandchild.

nigglynellie Sat 29-Oct-16 12:22:28

Yes you're right ww, sensibly and hopefully all involved can compromise and come to a good conclusion. The margin was small, almost a draw, so it's going to be quite a balancing act to achieve, but I'm hopeful that with a modicum of good will and a tad of optimism we will succeed.

Ceesnan Sat 29-Oct-16 12:24:47

Sorry Rigby46 I assumed most people had heard of the expression. Generally applies to someone who is being somewhat precious/overly sensitive.

Rigby46 Sat 29-Oct-16 12:35:37

So Ceesnan a rather sneering expression used about those who find playground taunts rather tiring. I see

Ceesnan Sat 29-Oct-16 12:58:19

I've never used it in a sneering way, more somewhat amused, but I would imagine it depends on the interpretation of the individual.

Rigby46 Sat 29-Oct-16 13:06:09

So an amused sneering expression then? It hardly sounds nice but I suppose it depends on your sense of humour really

MaizieD Sat 29-Oct-16 13:21:41

Sorry, Ceesnan, I'm very familiar with the 'snowflake' expression and I have only ever seen it used sneeringly. so, with your iinterests at heart I'd suggest that you don't use it again unless you deliberately intend it to be a sneer.

And, while I'm on; I'm sure others will agree with me that it is worth coming to an agreement about how we talk about Leavers and Remainers. If Leavers don't call Remainers 'Remoaners' then Remainers won't call Leavers 'Brexshitters'. How does that strike everyone?

daphnedill Sat 29-Oct-16 13:33:30

@rigby

A 'snowflake' in urban slang is somebody who considers him/herself to be unique and different from/above everybody else. It's intended to be an insult.

whitewave Sat 29-Oct-16 14:12:34

In which case I am a snowflake as I am unique and special as no doubt everyone else is on GN grin

whitewave Sat 29-Oct-16 14:15:16

Ps never heard of the expression before now! I've come to the conclusion that everyone I know is very polite and nice to each other as I never hear half the expressions that are used on GN like snowflake and virtue signalling etc. I had no idea what any of them meant and to be honest would never use them about anyone too unpleasant.

Devorgilla Sat 29-Oct-16 14:16:59

MaizieD, that sounds like a courteous solution to me.

Ceesnan Sat 29-Oct-16 15:06:10

Fine by me, but still maintain that I was not sneering, more amused that someone should have a fit of the vapours at hearing the word Remoaners. Still, hey ho, life goes on....

daphnedill Sat 29-Oct-16 15:22:24

So maybe you'd like to explain using real words why you think that people shouldn't be concerned about the direction in which the country is heading.

Being amused by people who are anxious isn't playing nicely.

Jalima Sat 29-Oct-16 16:10:58

Has anyone read the book about Tony Blair 'Broken Vows'?

Liz46 DH is reading it at the moment (someone lent it to him!). Every night when I am trying to enjoy reading my novel I am interrupted by 'just listen to this!!' 'what do you think of this bit!' 'this is going to annoy you, listen!'

hmm

Jalima Sat 29-Oct-16 16:16:35

I'd suggest that you don't use it again
Really MaizieD - are you the GN police?
GN do seem to be absent this weekend though.

I do hate it when people tell you off because they have 'your interests at heart'. They usually have anything but.

Tony Blair brought in a ban on smoking in pubs etc.
Um, anything else?

Jalima Sat 29-Oct-16 16:18:19

I am a snowflake too as I am unique and special
However, I will just melt away from this thread having made a contribution on the good things that Tony Blair did
grin

daphnedill Sat 29-Oct-16 16:42:27

I think MaizieD was trying to be polite and tactful rather than domineering. It isn't a word which is meant kindly in context. I suppose the nearest would be something like 'spoilt brat' or 'little madame'. It's playground language.

daphnedill Sat 29-Oct-16 16:43:52

Tony Blair's government introduced SureStart and did much to reduce child and pensioner poverty.

Jalima Sat 29-Oct-16 16:44:32

Oh, well, I've never heard of it before. It sounded quite mild in comparison to some things that are being bandied around atm

Not many snowflakes round here, it is very mild today (unlike some threads).
wink

whitewave Sat 29-Oct-16 16:46:15

Just took the dog out and car thermometer said 17c and it is totally cloudy today.

Ana Sat 29-Oct-16 16:46:39

No, I think it's more like 'delicate little flower', i.e. over-sensitive. That's how I interpreted it anyway, not being familiar with the Urban Dictionary definition.

Jalima Sat 29-Oct-16 16:46:54

It has been dark here all day

It will be worse tomorrow - don't forget the clocks go back tonight!

MaizieD Sat 29-Oct-16 16:46:55

Really MaizieD - are you the GN police?

I absolutely knew that I would get a response like that from someone! I have, frankly, never known such a judgey and snidey board as this one. Mumsnet is an oasis of maturity and politeness compared with some of you lot.

It was intended as friendly advice. People who've not encountered the phrase before in context jumping in claiming their own 'special snowflake' status doesn't alter the meaning that it holds in most people's vocabularies.

It's a sneer.

It's best not used unless you want to upset someone.

Ana Sat 29-Oct-16 16:48:04

And I think 'Brexshitters' is far worse than 'Remoaners'!

MaizieD Sat 29-Oct-16 16:49:59

Thanks, dd smile

It's been a gloriously warm afternoon up here in County Durham.

whitewave Sat 29-Oct-16 16:53:39

maiziei am with you. I only claimed snowflake status to try and prick that particular unpleasant bubble