Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eu citizenship, anyone?

(127 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 08-Nov-16 20:07:44

WEll, here's a nice idea:

European Parliament considers plan to let individual Brits opt-in to keep their EU citizenship

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-freedom-of-movement-passport-how-to-keep-parliament-live-move-abroad-a7405196.html

Brexit campaigners in Britain reacted with anger to the idea, arguing that it would discriminate against Leave voters and that it was 'an outrage'.

How bizarre. I thought they didn't want to be EU citizens.

These Brexitters are really confusing me...

Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership.

“This is an outrage. The EU is now attempting to divide the great British public at the exact moment we need unity. 17.4 million people voted to Leave the EU on 23 June and as a result the UK as a whole will get Brexit,” she said."

How bonkers can you get? Outrage?! I think it's hilarious

All I can say to Ms Adye is "I didn't ask for Brexit and I certainly have no intention of uniting with you just because you think I should"

Sign me up for EU citizenship!grin

(Can't really see it happening, unfortunately)

icanhandthemback Sat 12-Nov-16 00:36:33

Immigration from the rest of the world is already controlled as there is no freedom of movement like there is with Europe. Everybody I know who voted Brexit did because they didn't like the idea of Britain losing sovereignty or becoming part of a Federal Europe which is the direction the EU masters are pushing for. I don't think any of them were anti freedom of movement per se but were concerned about how the country could afford the additional costs/over-crowding that brings. I think being an "associate" member of the EU could be a great idea which should be more of a healing thing than a stick to beat either side with but I doubt all the EU countries would go for it.

MaizieD Fri 11-Nov-16 23:51:18

Nanna58
If you're replying to a specific post don't you think it would be a good idea to name them in your reply? We're not all mindreaders.

Having said that, I don't see yygdrasil asking for a second vote, so I feel my comment still stands.

Welshwife Fri 11-Nov-16 20:41:50

Yes ginny it will.

Ginny42 Fri 11-Nov-16 20:40:29

Just to clarify... won't the Brexit vote only control immigration from Europe, not immigration from the rest of the world?

Nanna58 Fri 11-Nov-16 19:43:36

Yes I do read the posts Maizied end if YOU had you would see I Replied to yygrasils post that the vote was only 'advisory' and that she ' wouldn't accept the situation'

Jalima Fri 11-Nov-16 15:11:46

As you said yourself flump
As you don't know me, I am really sad that you consider I was actually being serious
smile

Jalima Fri 11-Nov-16 15:10:31

Well, there wasn't any hate
perhaps I should have added a smile then that makes everything OK.
smile

flump Fri 11-Nov-16 14:32:59

jalima I meant by comparing names as you did, that is only my forum name.

I, too, am apprehensive about what the future holds. I wish I'd never contributed now and stayed quiet as I usually do.

Jalima Fri 11-Nov-16 14:11:26

jalima please don't jump on the hate bandwagon
What - of Trump?
Anyway, I don't jump on bandwagons, not being that steady on my feet I may fall off.

I don't hate anyone, just am quite apprehensive about what the future holds for us over here as well as for America.

flump Fri 11-Nov-16 14:05:41

jalima please don't jump on the hate bandwagon sad

flump Fri 11-Nov-16 14:03:52

As you don't know me, I am really sad that you consider I was actually being serious. When I say it was just a thought and I was pondering the idea, I meant just that. I was not proposing it as a real option and the smiley face was actually to indicate that it was not so.

rosesarered I was not intending to be sarcastic or insulting to those who voted for brexit even though I did not. Nor petra did I say you were a 'racist little englander'angry but if that's what you choose to call yourself, feel free.

I, too, think Trump is obnoxious and tbh, when I heard he had been elected, I felt as sick as I did when the brexit results came in. The false accusations, promises and news items that have been spread in both situations are unforgivable.

As has been said before, it is hard to convey the real meaning in a text as there is no facial interaction and smileys and their various meanings cannot, obviously, supply that meaning.

petra Fri 11-Nov-16 13:46:14

jalima lol. He's/ her post might have slipped through in the good old days of the referendum threads but its too quiet now: glaringly obvious. Good try though.

Jalima Fri 11-Nov-16 13:26:59

flump
Trump

are you brother and sister? [justwondering]
the similarity in the names

Jalima Fri 11-Nov-16 13:25:49

petra grin

Well, as Trump has been likened to Corbyn by one of his closest colleagues perhaps Corbyn supporters should be going to America flump

Just as daft an idea

petra Fri 11-Nov-16 12:54:46

flump You will have to hone your sarcasm skills to a higher standard than that to get Past this ' rascist little englander'

rosesarered Fri 11-Nov-16 12:24:16

I doubt that you were just wondering or pondering flump (or how could you confuse the two issues?) More like finding a way to insult anybody who voted for Brexit while inserting a 'smiley face' I can assure you, there have been plenty of insults on this forum already, so you are simply joining the ranks.
Trump is an awful man,but we have to hope his campaign and his Presidency will be two different things.
The situation in the UK is a whole lot more complicated than electing a leader, as we voted to leave the EU, control immigration ( note the word control, not unlimited immigration and not no immigration) and to be free to make and implement all our own policies and to trade freely with the rest of the world.
The rest of Europe may be doing the same thing before too long.

Jalima Fri 11-Nov-16 11:56:06

I think Brexiteers are happy with the UK, but they think it needs some tweaking grin
They are not like-minded with Trumpeteers, at least the ones I know are not.

Why would they go to America?
(why would anyone?)

flump Fri 11-Nov-16 11:49:46

Not confused at all about brexit.

flump Fri 11-Nov-16 11:48:29

petra et al My thought was based on the idea that both groups voted for such things as immigrants, loss of jobs, sovereignty etc. The Brexiteers aren't happy with Europe so I pondered if they would be happier with like minded people thousands of miles away. Just musing.smile

petra Fri 11-Nov-16 08:20:30

flump I think your confused confused about brexit. We voted to * get out of the eu* not * get out of Great Britain.

Anya Fri 11-Nov-16 08:18:01

That's true Bobbysgirl I've spoken to a couple of people who voted leave for the wrong reasons (IMO) and they detest Trump.

PamelaJ1 Fri 11-Nov-16 07:29:27

Why would the brexiteers leave? Britain is brexiting.

Bobbysgirl19 Fri 11-Nov-16 00:40:39

That wouldn't work Flump as a lot of Brexiteers abhor Trump, and are quite happy to stay this side of the water! ?

flump Thu 10-Nov-16 23:38:42

Just a thought - if the Brexiteers moved to America and the Americans who abhor Trump moved here, would we then have 2 happier nations? hmm

grannybuy Thu 10-Nov-16 22:38:56

French friends of my DD and her OH are enjoying living and working in Scotland, and hoping to buy a house here.