Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eu citizenship, anyone?

(126 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 08-Nov-16 20:07:44

WEll, here's a nice idea:

European Parliament considers plan to let individual Brits opt-in to keep their EU citizenship

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-freedom-of-movement-passport-how-to-keep-parliament-live-move-abroad-a7405196.html

Brexit campaigners in Britain reacted with anger to the idea, arguing that it would discriminate against Leave voters and that it was 'an outrage'.

How bizarre. I thought they didn't want to be EU citizens.

These Brexitters are really confusing me...

Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership.

“This is an outrage. The EU is now attempting to divide the great British public at the exact moment we need unity. 17.4 million people voted to Leave the EU on 23 June and as a result the UK as a whole will get Brexit,” she said."

How bonkers can you get? Outrage?! I think it's hilarious

All I can say to Ms Adye is "I didn't ask for Brexit and I certainly have no intention of uniting with you just because you think I should"

Sign me up for EU citizenship!grin

(Can't really see it happening, unfortunately)

annodomini Tue 08-Nov-16 20:18:32

I'll have EU citizenship if it's ever an option. I might have to get a Scottish passport, though I live in England. I know of a number of people with Irish ancestors who have applied for Irish passports.

Ana Tue 08-Nov-16 20:20:39

What a load of cobblers! grin

(Not April 1st is it?)

whitewave Tue 08-Nov-16 20:20:44

Sign me up!! I shall watch that with interest. What a good idea. Thinking outside the box.

Deedaa Tue 08-Nov-16 20:23:02

I'm not sure why any Brexiters should be affected if I chose to take EU citizenship. I don't feel disadvantaged because my SIL has USA as well as British citizenship.

MaizieD Tue 08-Nov-16 20:59:55

What a load of cobblers!

Are you responding to the director of the Get Britain Out campaign's remarks, Ana? If you are, I entirely agree with you...

FarNorth Tue 08-Nov-16 21:28:11

How popular would those EU-citizen Brits be in Europe when European citizens can't choose to have UK citizenship?

MaizieD Tue 08-Nov-16 22:15:59

Why on earth would European citizens want UK citizenship post Brexit?

(Apart from those already living here/with long term jobs/with British partners etc.)

rosesarered Tue 08-Nov-16 22:25:27

Don't believe every old thing you read in the papers Maiziewink

Devorgilla Tue 08-Nov-16 23:43:07

Well if it is up to the individual to opt in to EU Citizenship what is the problem? No-one holding a gun to your head. Be a Brit or be an EU Brit. if I read the OP correctly. Or am I misinterpreting the OP incorrectly? I can get an Irish passport as can my children and grandchildren and I am seriously considering it as are they.

FarNorth Wed 09-Nov-16 03:17:51

MaizieD yes, those people will be a bit peeved, and their friends & relations and people who may have hoped to better their lives by living and working in the UK and people who are aware that that possibility has been removed while Brits still have the EU-citizen option.

BlueBelle Wed 09-Nov-16 06:15:10

That would be my dream too I want to be an EU member sign me in as soon as

PamelaJ1 Wed 09-Nov-16 06:40:29

If Ana means the article is a load of cobblers then I'm with her.
I can't work it out at all. Are you all moving? If so where is your preferred country?

sunseeker Wed 09-Nov-16 07:00:15

Does that mean those taking EU citizenship with give up their British citizenship? I ask because I have never understood the concept of dual citizenship - surely you can only be a citizen of one country.

POGS Wed 09-Nov-16 11:13:12

Interesting concept.

Presumably it will mean those electing to take advantage of such a scheme having to apply for an EU Passport/Papers ?

Would it involve paying into the EU coffers or simply free of any financial funding by the UK population only.?

I suppose it might appeal to those who declare they are are ashamed to be British , no longer wish to live in any of the UK countries , with the possible acception of Scotland.

Will it be a dual citizenship and the British will have a right to travel freely throughout the European Union countries with their new EU citizenship papers but if Brexit ever happens the countries in the EU will not be free to move freely in and out of the UK ?

If the European Union refuse to maintain Free Trade arrangements with the UK if we do not follow the European Union dogma of Free Movement of People before trade and the UK government say NO to the Free Movement of People do you think the 27 countries will merrily go along with UK citizens bypassing this by dishing out EU Citizenship papers/Passports?

If the Free Movement of People is accepted by the UK government what would you believe to be the point of an EU Citizanship.? Interested to know.

yggdrasil Wed 09-Nov-16 11:21:46

Great idea. I'd apply right away. But I don't see it happening. The Brexiteers will stop it as it would make nonsense of all their propaganda. I mean, if over half UK people applied, as is very possible :-)

trisher Wed 09-Nov-16 11:32:05

Oh count me in I want to be an EU citizen. It isn't anything to do with "being ashamed to be British" POGS simply a matter of believing we are part of a wider community and should remain such. I have Irish ancestry and that is part of my being British, just as being British is, for me, part of being European.

JackyB Wed 09-Nov-16 11:53:31

That would suit me fine, but I doubt they have thought it through.

We (expats in Germany) are all wondering what to do out here in EU-land. Some have already started the process of applying for German nationality, the theory being that, whilst we are still in the EU, you will be able to retain both. I doubt whether that is true, actually, but, either way, I must start seriously thinking about this.

POGS Wed 09-Nov-16 12:44:02

trisher

Why not mention ' being ashamed of being British', posters have clearly stated that is exactly what they are 'ashamed of being British/my country' and they will most certainly be happy to post they would like an EU citizenship surely.

You say it, you own it scenario.

MaizieD Wed 09-Nov-16 13:35:23

I don't see how the Brexitteers could stop it, yggdrasil, it would be a decision made by the EU parliament. What would they do, try to make it illegal to be an EU citizen? That would be taking Brexit a bit far, wouldn't it? They only voted to leave the EU, not control the lives of every British citizen.

rosesarered Wed 09-Nov-16 13:42:17

I doubt the EU Parliament care about British citizens enough to do special things for them.I also doubt that anyone British will want to move out because of Brexit, or that anybody in the US will leave there because of Trump becoming President.It's all talk.

MaizieD Wed 09-Nov-16 13:50:49

Quite honestly, roses, I doubt it too, but it's a nice thought on the part of an EU parliamentarian.

MaizieD Wed 09-Nov-16 13:53:48

teleport.org/blog/2016/07/survey-knowledge-workers-leaving-uk/

Welshwife Wed 09-Nov-16 14:28:16

The EU parliament are the only ones so far who have mentioned the fate of the 48% who voted to remain in the EU and those living in the EU but denied a vote. It is these people they are wishing to help. It is possible to keep your UK nationality - many people have UK/USA passports. Some countries do not allow this and gaining their country's nationality means renouncing your own. As yet the EU have not mentioned any need to renounce UK citizenship.

sunseeker Wed 09-Nov-16 14:38:03

Why, if you want to take citizenship of the EU, would you want to retain UK citizenship? If someone disagrees with the government of a country so strongly they want to take citizenship of another why would they want to keep citizenship of the first one