Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mail reporting on Sharia law case

(6 Posts)
MaizieD Sun 13-Nov-16 11:06:04

This is setting me thinking.

I read this on this left-wing website a few days ago

www.opendemocracy.net/5050/rahila-gupta/one-woman-s-brush-with-sharia-courts-in-uk

It's about the experiences of a muslim mother whose daughter, having obtained a divorce under English law, was persuaded to get an islamic divorce through the Sharia courts.

Today, the Mail has published much the same story (though with rather more dramatic headlines)

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3930510/Shame-Sharia-Women-beaten-robbed-raped-chilling-expose-BRITISH-females-sentenced-lives-misery-Muslim-courts.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Having condemned them for their inflammatory headlines about the Appeal judges I felt quite pleased to see that they were running a real story about injustice.

But then I started wondering why they published the story.

Highlighting a big problem with the integration of a faith based culture with the UK legal system?

Or, knocking another nail in the image of the muslim faith?

I'd be interested to know what people think.

(Personally I think the the case itself, and many others like it, is appalling)

thatbags Sun 13-Nov-16 11:21:35

Knocking some things about Islam is fine by me, as is knocking some things about any other religion if the things have bad effects on people or on justice. Sharia law is completely unecessary in this country and undermines the good idea of one law for all.

Via Twitter, I noticed an article in the DM today about helping bees with late flowering plants.

thatbags Sun 13-Nov-16 11:22:24

Knocking, that is, criticising Islam is not the same thing as knocking Muslims. I shouldn't have to say that but feel I do.

Fitzy54 Sun 13-Nov-16 11:38:55

tge issue raised is around the motive of the DM rather than any issues around sharia courts, and I think the answer is very clear - this is an example of good, informed journalism in respect of an important matter. True of both articles. I can see that for those who might already have closed minds, the articles are likely to reinforce prejudices. But these courts, operating in competition with our civil courts, raise important questions, and in the absence of clear exaggeration I wouldn't seek to challenge the motive of the writer.

Fitzy54 Sun 13-Nov-16 11:42:33

I don't think this does knock the Muslim religion. Rather, it knocks the way in which some muslims in this country interpret and enforce sharia - which, from what the artcles say, involves (to say the least) a very conservative approach.

Anniebach Sun 13-Nov-16 11:44:33

Is it fair to critcise Islam ? Too assume all Muslims practise their faith this way?

I am a Christian , should my faith be judged by the actions of American fundamentalists who shoot dead staff at abortion clinics ?