Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump and Farage

(74 Posts)
suzied Tue 15-Nov-16 05:42:40

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I wondered what people think about Farage cosying up to Trump? Is he trying to becomie part of the unelected establishment elite he rallied against? I can't think the Tories will tolerate this for one minute. But who does he think he is? He has failed 7 times to be elected as an MP, and doesn't turn up to do the job he is paid for . Why doesn't he go away and get his life back?

daphnedill Sun 04-Dec-16 21:43:57

He only admitted that he hadn't even played for Tranmere's youth team after a Tranmere fans website trawled through the records and found nothing about him.

What a scally! Ha ha ha!

JessM Sun 04-Dec-16 19:29:18

Great story from the Mail (you never thought you'd see those words posted by me, did you?)
Paul Nuttall new leader of UKIP has been lying through his teeth - or according to him, his assistants have been lying on his behalf.
Lying about having a PhD - he has a master's and once started a Phd
and lying about
Playing for Tranmere Rovers
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3997634/Ukip-leader-fake-CV-row-claims-holds-university-doctorate-history-vows-storm-Commons-standing-election.html

Ginny42 Sun 04-Dec-16 08:22:42

DD's reference above to characters from history reminds me very much of Warwick the Kingmaker, another man with friends in high places and great powers over the rulers. There are distinct similarities. Perhaps that's how Farage now sees himself. Farage the Dealmaker.

If you'd like a read see:
www.luminarium.org/encyclopedia/warwick.htm

JessM Sat 03-Dec-16 22:31:41

Someone on the Beeb said he fancied himself as adviser to right-wing populists around the world.

Ginny42 Sat 03-Dec-16 21:14:37

This is very worrying news from the Guardian which reports Farage saying he would serve Trump either formally or informally - ‘I would like to do whatever I can to bring our great nations a bit closer together’.

According to this, he apparently has a relationship with Steve Bannon, former CEO of far right Breitbart News, now strategist for Trump.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/03/nigel-farage-willing-to-serve-donald-trump-us-uk

Trump may have sparked an international incident already with his call to Taiwan and he's not in the White House yet.

Ginny42 Wed 30-Nov-16 22:10:17

Oh if only! I see he's said he's giving up all interests in his companies to concentrate on being President, but it seems his powers of concentration aren't that great:

www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/donald-trump-attention-span-214223

durhamjen Wed 30-Nov-16 17:16:48

Fingers crossed, NanKate.

NanKate Wed 30-Nov-16 17:07:22

This is slightly off piste.

My DinL asked my 3 and three quarter year old GS what he was drawing.

He said 'a very bad man and he is in prison'.
'What is his name'?
'Donald Trump'

I think he must have been watching too much BBC NEWS 24 grin

Ginny42 Sat 26-Nov-16 11:39:42

I am heartily sick of seeing this both Farage and Trump. Let's see what the recounts in the US turn up. A week is a long time in politics and it's several weeks till January 20th.

durhamjen Sat 26-Nov-16 10:01:20

Made me think of Trump and Mexico as well.

static.ethicalshop.org/media/catalog/product/cache/11/small_image/228x228/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/h/three_wise_men_xmas_card.jpg

durhamjen Fri 25-Nov-16 16:47:17

politicalscrapbook.net/2016/11/farage-whines-they-dont-want-me-as-ambassador-for-some-reason-why-would-that-be/

durhamjen Fri 25-Nov-16 16:44:29

This is interesting. Do you think he'll sell it?

politicalscrapbook.net/2016/11/guess-which-prominent-bbc-presenter-owns-an-apartment-at-trump-world-towers/

Is he paid too much?

daphnedill Fri 25-Nov-16 11:31:26

Good luck to him trying to get Farage to influence policy in Scotland! From what I know, Scotland has so far resisted UKIP.

Ginny42 Fri 25-Nov-16 10:03:01

The complexity of Trump's business interests and the mechanisms to sever the ties between politics and his business are explained here. He doesn't seem to grasp the importance of doing so. Interesting how he's trying to use Farage to influence the building of wind farms in Scotland near his golf courses. Whether you agree with wind farms or not, it's an example of the kind of issues his business attempts to control events outside the USA.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38070411

It also gives more insight into the nature of family roles in his government - IF the law doesn't catch him out before January 20th.

Ginny42 Thu 24-Nov-16 21:54:31

Dj thanks for the link to map of Trump's business dealings. Wow! As President how can he not be influenced by/and influence politics in those countries? Even if his children are running the businesses, they are going to want to protect the Trump fortunes at all costs. That may compromise decisions over trade deals with other countries; other companies could lose contracts in favour of Trump's in order to curry favour and he's not likely to want to impose trade sanctions with those countries.

daphnedill Thu 24-Nov-16 09:08:31

My daughter has a Farage punchbag, which she finds very therapeutic.

suzied Thu 24-Nov-16 09:05:34

Did anyone see pictures from Farages party at the Ritz? Talk about joining the establishment elites which he criticises. Does this public school educated former city trader really understand the lives of the disadvantaged outside the metropolis ? And talk is he is going to live in the US! Why not stay in the Brexit utopia/mess he has created? I liked the picture of his handing around the Ferroro Rocher. I hope he realises it is a p*sstake.

daphnedill Wed 23-Nov-16 01:14:25

Gardenman,

Trump and Farage have conned the masses too. Throughout history, there have been people who have exploited the masses' grievances for their own ends - and it's not because they care about the masses. The difference between Trump and Farage is that Trump now has power officially. Interesting times!

PS. Why was Arron Banks in the official line-up in Trump Towers?

PPS. I think it will be interesting to see where Murdoch aligns himself.

daphnedill Wed 23-Nov-16 01:06:28

He won't have a job with the EU, but he'll have a nice fat pension and people will pay megabucks to hear him on the after-dinner circuit. He will continue to pose as an 'outsider', moaning about 'experts' and the 'élite', while never having been willing to take on responsibility.

In days of yore he'd have been carted off to the Tower as a traitor. I struggle to think of any public figure I find more odious and hypocritical.

durhamjen Tue 22-Nov-16 23:20:01

Trump says it's not possible for the president to have a conflict of interest. Who's he kidding?
This is a map of all his business interests.

res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/fetch/c_fill,f_auto,w_2040/https://1k95i3bqziq3bboq03r87f8x-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/22NovTrumpMapWEB.jpg

He's still complaining about windturbines near his golf courses. They offend him. That could be why he needs Farage to work for him. Farage will not have a job next April.

durhamjen Tue 22-Nov-16 23:13:33

I've never stopped being furious, Maizie. I keep haing to tone it down when reading the news with my grandson.
It's good though. It makes me try to work out why I am always angry at Trump and Farage, particularly when he asks are they always wrong. So we try and look for something good. Even the photo of them in front of the gold doors had to be discussed. He wouldn't mind a sitting room the size of Trump's but he wouldn't decorate it like that, and why is the Japanese prime minister in Trump Tower? Is he bad as well?

Tomorrow we are going to look at all the EU governments, who has which positions, what party are they members of, etc. This is because today there was stuff in the papers about the French and German elections next year. Getting scary.

MaizieD Tue 22-Nov-16 22:59:12

Wish I hadn't read that article, dj. It's made me furious all over again.

durhamjen Tue 22-Nov-16 22:46:45

You're welcome, norose.

Anyone remember when Farage told Obama to butt out of another country's politics? He hasn't said that to Trump.

norose4 Tue 22-Nov-16 22:40:41

Brilliant article Durhamjen, thanks for posting link

durhamjen Tue 22-Nov-16 22:12:06

This is an interesting article by Jonathan Freedland.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/19/brexit-trump-left-crucial-flaw-leavers-alt-right-ruthlessness

I think he's right.