Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump and Farage

(73 Posts)
suzied Tue 15-Nov-16 05:42:40

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I wondered what people think about Farage cosying up to Trump? Is he trying to becomie part of the unelected establishment elite he rallied against? I can't think the Tories will tolerate this for one minute. But who does he think he is? He has failed 7 times to be elected as an MP, and doesn't turn up to do the job he is paid for . Why doesn't he go away and get his life back?

whitewave Tue 15-Nov-16 05:55:31

If the media ignored him he would go away

BlueBelle Tue 15-Nov-16 06:42:36

Two totally dispicable humans and I actually say that word with reservations

Azie09 Tue 15-Nov-16 08:26:05

Odious little man punching way above his weight, wingeing when he doesn't get his way and trying to foment trouble through the gutter press. The way the world is going is shabby and alarming.

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 08:32:05

If the Americans have no further use for Obama can we please have him instead?

In exchange they can keep Farage (and we might throw in Boris too)!

Welshwife Tue 15-Nov-16 09:08:53

I find it astounding they refer to him as a politician as if he has held some office in UK - he says he wants to retire- from what ? He rarely goes to sit in the EU Parliament -unless he wants to enrage them - but he takes his salary.

suzied Tue 15-Nov-16 09:21:56

And his salary is worth thousands more due to the collapse of the pound.

norose4 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:34:15

He is definitely a megalomaniac! Iam sure after the brexit vote he said his job was done , that he wanted a quiet life, a pint at his local etc !!!! ITs soooo embarrassing , bet Trump finds it hilarious ! used to be called toadying I think 😏

trisher Wed 16-Nov-16 10:38:09

Anya what a good idea the best 2 for 1 bargain I have ever seen. Sadly I think even the Americans who voted for Trump won't go for it! they aren't that dumb

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 10:44:26

It's all very well for us to point out what idiots they both are, but don't forget that they developed persuasive enough arguments that millions of people voted for them which resulted in political earthquakes.

What is needed now for those arguments to be challenged and equally persuasive enough for people to begin to reject their fascist agenda.

daphnedill Wed 16-Nov-16 12:32:48

Did anybody see the photo of Farage with Trump in Trump Towers? Arron Banks was also in the select little group, who met Trump just after he was elected. I have really bad feeling about all this.

gillybob Wed 16-Nov-16 12:40:08

Well at the risk of being extremely unpopular (what's new?) At least Farage is not having to suck up to Trump after saying that he should be banned from the UK. Unlike that buffoon Boris !

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 13:01:44

And the UKIP bod who used to work with the fascist Bannon -he went with Farage. You will be known by your friends. Love the way they deny having anything in common with Le Pen and other fascist groups in Europe.

norose4 Wed 16-Nov-16 14:53:50

They both seemed to have tapped into a rising discontent ,which seems to include those people whose lives are most difficult, unfortunately Trump & Farge are the least likely people to do anything about it .Difficult to watch their joint posturing!

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 16:21:52

Wish I understood about algarythums (nor even sure how to spell it). One of the reasons given for Trumps success was what is described as false news. Anyone can give me a lesson??

Ana Wed 16-Nov-16 16:23:39

Isn't it the same as 'post-truth'?

Ana Wed 16-Nov-16 16:24:27

Or perhaps it just means 'lies'.

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 16:31:42

No I don't think so ana it is something to do with the way you access the internet

Ana Wed 16-Nov-16 16:38:30

Oh yes, I've just googled it...

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 16:41:03

Go on then tell me what it means- buggered if I can understand it

Ana Wed 16-Nov-16 16:54:36

Well there seems to be 'false news', which is publishing or broadcasting 'false' or 'alarmist' information, and 'fake news' which is what the media's been on about today, especially in relation to Facebook.

Seems to be similar (i.e. made-up claims or news stories) but harder to control as it's posted on social media sites.

petra Wed 16-Nov-16 17:01:50

Trump said he's creating jobs already. He said the trouble makers are being paid grin

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 17:02:24

Thanks for that, I sort of understood that but not where the algorythums come in. Don't suppose it matters though.

Ana Wed 16-Nov-16 17:05:36

I have no idea either whitewave, except that they seem to be something computer-related, as you said!

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 17:29:08

The exraordinary thing is that normally we vote someone in and then expect them to carry out everything they said they would do.

In Trumps case we are all hoping that he won't!!!! Bizarre