Gransnet forums

News & politics

Castro

(228 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-16 17:10:11

I too remember the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile crisis, they were worrying times

I can understand him overthrowing the regime of Batista regime but am against dictatorships . Whilst I accept he has done good in Cuba, Heath and education , I cannot as a Labour Party member share the tributes paid by several Militants in the party , so many died under the Castro regime . But I still have my Che Guevara tee shirt !

May he rest in peace

Jalima Sat 26-Nov-16 16:24:33

I was discussing this with DH because it throws up some interesting questions.

I remember being quite nervous at some points because of the America/Cuba/Russia situation. If only Eisenhower and Castro had had a better relationship (at least a diplomatic one) then would things have been different? If Eisenhower had not snubbed him would relations with America have been better or not? Or would Russia have continued to encourage an ally so near to America?

People criticise Theresa May because she is inviting Trump over - but she has to because diplomacy must be maintained, whatever anyone's personal feelings.

The fact that some people would prefer a Presidency (not aiming this at you anniebach, so please don't think I am!) but some people in our country may prefer that - but he maintained 59 years as President and was then succeeded by his brother, now age 85 (nepotism?) with his son waiting to succeed him.

There were over 8,505 political arrests during the first eight months of 2016, and they are expected to top 10,000.

Will Cubans now reject that dynasty and their form of communism?
Will displaced Cubans want to go home again, or will it just be more of the same?

And - what will relations with Trump be like?

Anyone who remembers the Cuban Missile Crisis, Bay of Pigs incident may be wondering what is going to happen now.

Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-16 10:07:51

Fidel Castro has died. 59 years in power