Gransnet forums

News & politics

Immigration Emigration

(7 Posts)
thatbags Sat 26-Nov-16 17:31:33

I've just read an article that is arguing that the EU's Freedom of Movement principle is causing problems in Lithuania and Latvia because of emigration by large portions of their populations to more western European nations where they can earn higher wages. Lithuania's population, the author says, has shrunk 10% since it became an EU member; Latvia's from 2.7 million in 1991 to 1.7 million now; Estonia's by 20% since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

These drops in population "[lead] to skills shortages, which inhibit economic growth and further exacerbate emigration problems. When the moral case is made for high levels of immigration... the negative impact of mass emigration on the countries left behind always seems to be forgotten.

Interesting point. I hadn't though of it that way round.

thatbags Sat 26-Nov-16 17:31:47

thought

Jane10 Sat 26-Nov-16 17:40:25

I had! Its just a side issue but my version of Microsoft Word constantly tries to change 'emigration' to 'immigration'. Obviously the Microsoft people couldn't imagine anyone wanting to emigrate from the USA! That might change...

Taronsa Fri 16-Sep-22 01:00:53

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

SunshineSally Fri 16-Sep-22 03:15:13

Reported

Esspee Fri 16-Sep-22 07:26:20

Yet another resurrection of an old post to insert advertising. Would it not be better if threads were permanently closed after 3 months of inactivity?

Fleurpepper Fri 16-Sep-22 20:48:32

And yet, re-reading the OP now 7 years later- the situation has been vastly changed due to Brexit and it would be an interesting topic to revisit.

A large number of the above have now left the UK, leaving big gaps in many industries, including care and agriculture. Some have moved to other more welcoming and better paid parts of Europe, others have returned home.