Gransnet forums

News & politics

Feeling helpless

(35 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 07-Dec-16 10:37:12

I caught the tail end of a news bulletin on BBC 1 yesterday - it was about the fate of children in a middle east country - I do not even know which one as I came to it late.

I sat and watched the suffering of these children and just felt despair and above all else total impotence.

We can do absolutely nothing about these dreadful situations. Giving to charity is a hit and miss affair - you just don't know where the money goes and which corrupt officials in these countries are syphoning off their cut. We can do nothing about Britain's involvement in the arms trade.

I almost felt envious of those generations pre-global media who just got on and tried to lead decent lives. That sounds very selfish I know - but what the hell can we do? sad

Marieeliz Thu 08-Dec-16 16:20:46

Stopped by a "charming trugger" yesterday. Glimpsed at what she was trying to get me to donate to, a glossy magazine re helping blind children". I informed her that I do not give my name and address to anyone as they pass it on. The news yesterday that charities are looking into what your house is worth and other circumstances is very worrying. Feel that the news is nothing but bad, when I was young there was some bad news Palestine for instance but there was always something good. I am giving up listening now.

Morgana Thu 08-Dec-16 18:55:51

Unfortunately the UK is involved in the situation in the Yemen. so write to complain to your MP - not that they will listen, but they might if enough of us write!
Otherwise choose your charity wisely. I believe that MSF do some marvelous work. And my sister used to do a lot of fundraising for Save the Children - I believe that more of the money gets through to where it is needed.

grannyactivist Thu 08-Dec-16 19:12:02

I too am a supporter of CAAT - UK weapons are being used in Saudi Arabia’s crippling attacks on Yemen and I feel very, very angry about it. The justification is that if the UK doesn't sell arms to Saudi Arabia then other countries will. Tell that to the children who are being killed and maimed by British bombs and bullets!!

whitewave Thu 08-Dec-16 19:25:34

That's why Johnson was slapped down, we are hoping to continue trading our arms to Saudi

Jalima Thu 08-Dec-16 19:42:43

See other thread about Boris Johnson

merlotgran Thu 08-Dec-16 20:27:11

I agree with what you say about SA's crippling attacks on Yemen, ga but when Aden was being savagely attacked by Houthi rebels they were crying out, 'Where are the Saudis?'

It's all such a mess.

durhamjen Thu 08-Dec-16 21:42:31

act.thesyriacampaign.org/donate/peoples-convoy/?t=1&akid=419.124249.JarxZw

Something specific for the children in Aleppo.

Balini Thu 08-Dec-16 22:43:57

Lucky girl, I watched a similar item on BBC news, a week or so ago. It showed a tear stained, bewildered little boy. I think he'd lost his mother and sisters. He has since died, as far as I know. I'm an 83 yer old man, it brought me to tears, it was heart rending. I would give to one of these charities, but you never know, if the proper people, will get the benefit. There are too many people, who have their hands in the seed box. I've been involved in some small charities, and there's always someone, who tries to dip in. I'm afraid, I no longer give, much as it grieves me.

durhamjen Thu 08-Dec-16 22:52:17

The Syria Campaigm says that 100% goes to building a children's hospital in Aleppo. You have to believe someone.