Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this the best way to live in retirement if you're on your own?

(59 Posts)
granoffour Fri 09-Dec-16 17:00:22

I saw this in the news today. If we DH wasn't around I would definitely sign up. What an amazing idea - to live in a community where people are of a similar age and understanding. I hope more of these take off - I think this is something the government may want to invest in.

tanith Fri 09-Dec-16 17:11:12

I saw it on the news this morning too, it does look interesting and I like the idea that those who can afford it can buy and others can rent.. I'd certainly be interested if I were on my own and it was local to where I am now.

Charleygirl Fri 09-Dec-16 17:19:14

I also saw it and I will definitely keep it in mind but my problem is my cat- I doubt if these places will take animals on board. I wonder what the service charge is- I never heard that mentioned.

Ana Fri 09-Dec-16 17:22:05

I'm on my own but the thought of living in an all-women complex like that fills me with horror!

Beammeupscottie Fri 09-Dec-16 17:32:31

Was this complex for lesbians or anyone on their own? The harmony won't last - it never does. Also, I like a few men, if only to boss about.

starbird Fri 09-Dec-16 17:39:37

I love the idea of it, a friend tried to do it 30 years ago but it was hard to find anywhere suitable. The only thing, if you buy into it, is that it may be harder to sell for you if you change your mind, or for your inheritors if you pass away there.
Or I would happily go into a sheltered housing apartment if I could have a bit of garden, and as long as the walls were not so thin that you could hear other people's conversations and three tv's going all day (which is the case with someone I know), and as long as the service charge was affordable. I do worry that I will have a stroke or heart attack and be found dead only when the smell alerts a passer by!

Christinefrance Fri 09-Dec-16 19:38:58

Charleygirl one lady had a dog in those flats so maybe there is an agreement about pets. An interesting idea about the flats, a lot of work and thought has gone into it.

rosesarered Fri 09-Dec-16 20:06:49

Ana I totally agree! It would be Gransnet with knobs on ( or rather, not a knob in sight! ) tchgrin

Ana Fri 09-Dec-16 20:11:52

Yes, or the WI with no control-knob (or rather etc..) tchgrin

Anya Fri 09-Dec-16 20:13:04

shock

daphnedill Fri 09-Dec-16 20:17:48

@roses

How rude! grin

daphnedill Fri 09-Dec-16 20:21:00

I looked at their website. There are flats to buy (which I couldn't afford) and some for people eligble for social housing (which I'm not). Boo hoo!

There are quite a few people in the same situation as I am. I wish developers would come up some solution. I've become reconciled to renting for the rest of my life, but I'd like to have some security, which private renting doesn't give.

rosesarered Fri 09-Dec-16 20:23:45

I know! tchgrin

rosesarered Fri 09-Dec-16 20:25:09

Sorry all, must be the extra large Baileys.?

M0nica Sat 10-Dec-16 07:19:57

I am not sure I would like to live in a single sex community. I was at a girls boarding school and a women's hall of residence at Uni. I did not experience any of the problems, bitchiness etc that people talk about with women only groups, but after 50 years of heterosexual living. I think I would prefer a mixed development.

Ideally I would prefer to live in a wider society with a mixed, in every way community, but I can see the advantages of living in a supportive environment in extreme old age or infirmity.

cornergran Sat 10-Dec-16 08:23:21

My first thought was - how lovely to always have someone. My second was - but how horrible to feel lonely surrounded by others. I guess the reality could be either, and many possibilities in between.

Greyduster Sat 10-Dec-16 08:52:56

It would not be for me, though I suppose my Army service would count as having lived in a single sex community, where we shared tasks of day to day living, enjoyed social interaction when and if we wanted to and supported each other mutually. On the whole I enjoyed that, but I was young then and not at all set in my ways. I wonder just how democratic it would be too. I would think, after a while, that some individuals would either dominate or seek to dominate the community. But I'm an old cynic!

Mumsy Sat 10-Dec-16 08:53:44

I see no difference between that and social sheltered housing, well apart from the cost.
I moved to sheltered a couple of years ago, best move I ever made and a wonderful community that look out for each other. No time to be lonely here theres always something happening.

Anya Sat 10-Dec-16 09:00:44

Is that true if all social sheltered housing?

Mumsy Sat 10-Dec-16 09:11:43

No idea Anya, but I did know before hand what this place was like hence me wanting to move to this particular one, its very popular for council tenants and leaseholders alike. I had to wait nearly 5 years for a place to become vacant, ( due to poor health I needed ground floor).

Anya Sat 10-Dec-16 09:36:51

It would seem that there is a model here for good social sheltered housing then. I do know of one small development near where I used to live with small one-bed bungalows with a small warden-controlled community centre in the middle.

grandMattie Sat 10-Dec-16 09:43:18

They have been common in Aus and NZ for years. My uncle and aunt lived in one in NZ. the less able bodies you are, you are moved closer to the hospital/nursing home. it is very satisfactory to my mind, even though I would prefer to be independent. Since that isn't always possible, that is the best way out. Don't much like "sheltered" housing. It is all a bit prison like to my mind!

Blinko Sat 10-Dec-16 09:46:22

There's a new retirement complex near to us. It has a range of 70 or so one and two bed apartments which you can either rent (not sure of the t&cs) or buy. Ages range from 60 upwards. There are communal areas, bar, lounge, hobby areas, hairdresser, etc. The complex is managed and has admin staff. There are two in our borough. It sounds like the way forward to me and I would certainly consider something like this if/when I am left to live alone. We oldies need to help each other.

Ana Sat 10-Dec-16 10:04:33

Sheltered housing complexes are fine, but I still wouldn't want to live in an all-women one.

BRedhead59 Sat 10-Dec-16 10:15:02

Beware of service charges my brother has just sold his very nice flat in a beautiful old building the charges have gone up by a ridiculous amount since he's been there for about three years.